frame
After the old forum software breaking in a way that we were unable to fix, we've migrated the site to a new platform.

Some elements aren't working as we'd hoped - some avatars didn't survive the transition, and we're still having issues with attachments that weren't added as inline images, but we're hoping to have that all sorted out soon.

Cupping Session

edited January 1970 in www.beangreen.com.au
Hi All,
We have just received our samples of all the winners from the Brazil late harvest Cup of Excellence. The auction is Wednesday night and we are cupping the samples this Saturday the 10th. Sorry for the late notice.
Feel free to come along and cup these great natural processed coffees with us. All 19 of the winners.
We are using Merlos cupping room at :
10 Thompson Street
Bowen Hills Brisbane
10am kick off
Would love to see you all there and sorry once again for the late notice.
Cheers Brendan.

Comments

• Tremendous session Brendan, Thanks to you and the Merlo crew for your hospitality and hard work. Good luck with the auction! 19 COE lots on the table .. 3x cups of each lot ... that's 57 cups of joe on the bench .. in fact they could only fit 45 on this bench ...  ... scaled.php?server=819&filename=brazilcoe201202.jpg&res=medium
  • Nice!  I wish I could have been there.  Nice photo.  Did anythind stand out that we should keep our eye out for?
  • I would've loved to come to this also, looking forward to the next one!
  • on 1331374781:
    Crapola... I missed it and I was actually free... Brendan, late notice and apology is NOT good enough  :pan    :stir      :'( :'(
    Sheeh! I saw the post and had plenty of time to get there  Just didn't feel like the long drive is all. :)
  • on 1331366265:
    Nice!  I wish I could have been there.  Nice photo.  Did anythind stand out that we should keep our eye out for?
    I'll let ya know after the specifics after the auction  :angel:  Auction date is March 14th .. (late wednesday night for us here in Australia) Here is the generic info: This is the auction for NATURAL Late Harvest 2012 COE Brasil  (<< thats the specialty way to spell it) Natural coffees are the most traditional and usual coffee process method in Brazil that is used for 88% of production. The Lots offered by RANK, owner, FARM NAME, Variety are as follows: Rank 1 - Luiz Flavio Pereira de Castro - Sitio Colinas : Bourbon/Catuai Rank 2 - Ana Cristina Junqueira Villela - Sitio Vista Alegre : Yellow Bourbon Rank 3 - Kleber de Castro Junqueira - Sitio Araucaria : Yellow Bourbon Rank 4 - Jose Wagner Ribeiro Junqueira - Serra das Tres Barras : Yellow Bourbon Rank 5 - Hislena Pereira Nogueira - Sitio Bico de Pato : Yellow Bourbon Rank 6 - Algenio Ferraz de Castro - Fazenda Cambara : Yellow Catuai Rank 7 - Pedro Sergio Ferraz Reis - Fazenda JR (Junqueira Reis) : Yellow Catuai Rank 8 - ? - Fazenda Rainha : Yellow Bourbon Rank 9 - Homero Teixeira de Macedo Junior - Fazenda Recreio : Yellow Bourbon Rank 10 - Jose Roberto Canato - Fazenda Monte Verde : Yellow Bourbon Rank 11 - Antonio Marcio de Carvalho Junqueira - Fazenda Santa Mariana : Yellow Catuai Rank 12 - Maria Jose Junqueira Ceglia - Gleba Sao Francisco (Granja Sao Francisco) : Yellow Bourbon Rank 13 - ? - Fazenda Sertaozinho : Yellow Bourbon Rank 14 - Comercial Mineira S/A - Fazenda Sao Lourenco : Yellow Bourbon Rank 15 - Alvaro Antonio Pereira Coli - Chacara Sagrado Coracao de Jesus : Yellow Bourbon Rank 16 - Jarbas Cleto Lopes - Sitio Bela Vista : Mundo Novo/ Acaia Rank 17 - Antonio Marcio Pereira de Castro - Fazenda Tijuco Preto : Yellow Bourbon Rank 18 - Marcio Heleno de Carvalho Junqueira - Sitio Bela Vista : Yellow Bourbon Rank 19 - Sebastiao Raimundo Pereira - Sitio Limeira : Yellow Catuai Interesting to note just how many YELLOW BOURBONS there are.
  • :'( working!  So sad to have missed this.  I ordered beans from Brendan last Sunday and they arrived Monday.  Thanks Brendan for the amazing service and when my life slows a bit I look forward to coming to one of your sessions. Looks like I missed a beauty!
  • Thanks everone for coming and thanks to the Merlo guys for hosting. There were certainly alot of coffees to get through. So much so we didn't have enough of our regular cupping cups. We have some lovely coffees coming in so we will have another cupping session soon. I'll definately give you more notice this time. Cheers Brendan.
  • on 1331366265:
    Nice!  I wish I could have been there.  Nice photo.  Did anythind stand out that we should keep our eye out for?
    Results are in and Australia is so well represented in this years 2012 Brasil COE - Late Harvest Auction Regarding what stood out (here's a selection of my cupping notes): Rank 7 - Pedro Sergio Ferraz Reis - Fazenda JR (Junqueira Reis) : Yellow Catuai  89.09 pts Grapefruit acidity, upfront and bright, reminiscent of Kenya Gethumbwini AA 2009 crop. A standout for Brendan! 38 bags at $7.80 $19,603.51 Kaffebrenneriet as Rank 5 - Hislena Pereira Nogueira - Sitio Bico de Pato : Yellow Bourbon 89.94 pts Red Currant aroma (lovely strong aroma in the dry grounds) with chocolate/caramel/hazelnuts, I scored this one well, noting that it was the first of the top 10 that displayed typical Brasil characteristics (chocolate caramel hazelnuts). The higher ranked coffees were very atypical Brasils .. Looks like this one is heading to our shores .. congratulations to Di Bella Coffee 76 bags at $8.00 $40,212. 32  Dallis Bros Coffee, Di Bella Coffee, Electric City Roasting Rank 4 - Jose Wagner Ribeiro Junqueira - Serra das Tres Barras : Yellow Bourbon 90.13 pts Strawberry- Red Apple acidity, blackcurrant and black tea .. I liked this one! Very elegant! ..... congratulations to PROUD MARY ...  I will try to get down when they have this serving!!!! 32 bags at $7.80 $16,508.23 PROUD MARY Rank 3 - Kleber de Castro Junqueira - Sitio Araucaria : Yellow Bourbon  90.19 pts Upfront Orange/citrus; caramel and creamy nougat body with mandarin peel finish ...  looks like CAMPOS will have this .. congrats. 28 bags at $8.10 $15,000.23 Invalsa Coffee
  • Just wanted to say thanks to 3C for the informative posts. They will prove useful in the future as a reference.
  • on 1331802291:
    Just wanted to say thanks to 3C for the informative posts. They will prove useful in the future as a reference.
    lol .. i'm not sure how useful .. I did say they were my own notes , so yes . useful reference for me to see how much I missed and what other descriptors the professionals use - and also a reminded to self of just how bad of a cupper I am  :rofl:  .. anyway .. here are the Top Jury Descriptors .. for the ones I posted above, compare them to mine for a good laugh !  :laugh: Rank 7 - Aroma/Flavor- coffee blossom, marzipan, strawberry, almond butter, passion fruit, cinnamon, citrus, sweet chocolate Acidity- fantastic, transparent, grapefruit, sauvignon blanc, white wine, delicate, Other- well balanced, sweet, plum, raisins, rich, velvety, well-structured, long finish Rank 5 - Aroma/Flavor- lime, pineapple, papaya, fruit punch, red passion fruit, honey, sugar cane, peach, brown sugar, caramel, sweet, floral, Acidity- white grape, refined, lively, citric and grape, delicate, vibrant Other- silky, creamy mouthfeel, dense, heavy, creamy, long sweet finish Rank 4 - Aroma/Flavor jasmine, bergamot, floral, vanilla, violet aroma red cr
  • on 1331795931:
    Rank 2 - Ana Cristina Junqueira Villela - Sitio Vista Alegre : Yellow Bourbon 90.41 pts whoa .. aroma city ...  very distinct, could sniff this all day  :thumb: . .. i describe it as red acai/ pomegranate, spice, chocolates, so much going on. Very distinct and still powerful at 50mins post extraction! No taint or defects, the taste is reminiscent of the Ethiopian Bench Maji that we have (where they say the original Geisha seeds herald from .. a small township called Gesha in Ethiopia)  The Bench Maji is a Dry Processed bean, whereas this Brasil is washed (hence - cleaner . fresh. sparkling even).  ....  this may also be coming to Australia ...  ;) .. it did achieve double the price of the lower ranks, so it might only be in small quantities. .. stay tuned. 34 bags at $16.80 $37,778.33 Maruyama Coffee, Mikatajuku group, Orsir Coffee(Taiwan)
    Slight correction on this post ... the Brasil Rank 2 . is NATURAL process ..... I just cupped the Bench Maji tonight ... delicious and very refreshing and "sparkling" esp. with milk but not as clean or as multi dimensional as the Rank 2.. Can't wait to recup the COE rank 2 again  .. itching to cup them side by side ... I missed a lot of the descriptors, but I think I'm pretty close in my mind with the flavour profile on this one! ..  ;D
  • That's great Mark. thanks for that. I just missed out on my favorite Lot 7, went to bed too early. Great to see some coming to OZ with Campos and Di Bella pooling in with other overseas companies and bought a lot. Proud Mary bought a whole lot themselves. Best bit is the great result for the farmers at an average price of $8.80 per pound. Cheers
  • Do you have any green bean samples remaining Mr beangrean? I'll buy some off you as I'll be very interested to do another cupping, but this time with less coffees on the bench  :rofl: , not that I dont trust your roasting .. I just need to roast them to 3rd Crack  :angel: the lots i'm particularly interested in: Rank 2 Rank 4 Rank 8 Rank 16 Rank 19
  • Hey Mark, All used up sorry. We managed to score 2 boxes of  19 so i'll let you when they arrive. Hope your well. Cheers Brendan.