frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

After the old forum software breaking in a way that we were unable to fix, we've migrated the site to a new platform.

Some elements aren't working as we'd hoped - some avatars didn't survive the transition, and we're still having issues with attachments that weren't added as inline images, but we're hoping to have that all sorted out soon.

What coffee am I drinking at the moment?

UNMUNM
edited November 2013 in Roasted Beans or Blends
Feel free to use this thread to post the details and descriptions of what caffeinated beverages you are drinking.

As for me, it is a good question. I don't know!
I picked up some browns from jeff at mycuppa the other day and, although I know what beans are in the blend, I don't know proportions or if it is one of his standard blends.

I ground most for cold process, and kept some back for espressos. The first shot was a pretty slow pour, but very frisky crema for a two week old roast, tasted less than stellar - cloying sweetness with a touch of sour/acid aftertaste. Second shot was pulled with temp set 1.5 degree higher and slightly coarser grind. Much improved, nice body and mouthfeel, but I'm not yet getting the best out of it.
Tried the cold processed as an americano today and am really liking it - the usual velvety smoothness I seem to get in cold processed, with a little chocolate and just a hint of dry pepper in the finish.

Comments

• I'm drinking this blend: 80g Bolivia 60g Nicaragua La Gloria Las Brisas 80g Rwanda Gisenyi 80g Java Ijen Sundried That I did on the 12th of this month. It is amazing. Absolutely the smoothest blend I've ever made, but still has a lot of excitement to it, and a nice mouthfeel. It was taken just half way into second crack, and as I posted a second roast of it off to my sister today, I was really not wanting to let it go.
  • I am drinking Ethiopian Kuza with a hint (5%) of Ethiopian Gambala Naturals KK
  • I was drinking this yesterday 5845291406_7b7b8bec62.jpg peaberry side by Nic's Stuff, on Flickr 5844740761_1b2d284f09.jpg peaberry top by Nic's Stuff, on Flickr and this today 5844740539_3ae6666abb.jpg ghimbi side by Nic's Stuff, on Flickr 5844740391_6e12b1d5bf.jpg ghimbi top by Nic's Stuff, on Flickr
  • In the grinder and cup at the moment I have Colombian COE El Tiestero- Lot 14 Coco goodness with a ever so slight citrisy finish Double ristretto flat white, and with Maleny milk............... makes Ronin happy after a long day at work
  • Got a bag of Genovese Super Brazil to retry. The last time I had a bag or two there was a noticeable change (not in a good way) in flavour from what had been a very consistently good blend. Pleased to report that they seem to have got it together again. Couple of very nice double shot Lattes for the morning.  :) Doesn't mean I don't love mycuppa Suuweet anymore either  ;D
  • Uganda Busamaga. Very nice for pourover and long blacks.  Bright and fruity as espresso, but a bit too much because of roast level (OH impression).
  • Yemen Sanani Mocca from beangreen - really interesting caramel flavour in a latte. Sniff
  • on 1308987660:
    Yemen Sanani Mocca from beangreen - really interesting caramel flavour in a latte. Sniff
    Just ordered a couple of kilo's of this one, will make sure it's the first cab off the rank.  ;)
  • Today I broke into the 1kg pack of Espresso that mycuppa sent in the package.  I know I know it still has 4 days to go before it should be used but I'd run out of everything else for my OH. So here is the gauge reading and the end of the pour :) no idea how to embed it...
  • on 1314230651:
    Today I broke into the 1kg pack of Espresso that mycuppa sent in the package.  I know I know it still has 4 days to go before it should be used but I'd run out of everything else for my OH. So here is the gauge reading and the end of the pour :)
    YUMMY!!!!!  I licked my computer monitor..... blurk~!
  • LMAO Brett  ;D I feel it blonded just a little too much, I used the double button and I think it goes slightly longer than 30 seconds but OH said that it tasted like dark chocolate without the sugar, it can only get better once it hits the right stage :)
  • AM I haven't reprogrammed just yet, but did cut it short thank you and WOW, I have to admit I was hesitant about the blend, but it's fantastic, thank you Jeff  ;D
  • Thanks Nic. You know, that coffee is barely 4 days old and it will do your head in over the next week ! That coffee can need up to 12 days to sort itself out......sometimes it chucks a wobbly around day 10 or 11. The Early Bird catches the worm.........and perhaps a good dose of grind/dose frustration...... Good vid as well - perhaps a little finer on the grind or updose a tad to slow the flow - should bring in more sweetness as well.
  • LOL Jeff lucky I've got a kilogram, it will last for a while, we'll get to taste it at all it's stages :) I made one for myself, as you know, this afternoon and it hit the right spot in terms of gauge, timing, etc, I got 40-50ml in 30 seconds and yes you are absolutely right it was sweet. I will always give the good, bad and ugly of everything I do, what's the point of not doing that, you can't learn and people can't learn from you :) I originally said I was going to do a blog for the DBD and was excited about doing it, well :P to Breville and ;D for Sunbeam.  People can actually watch and learn from people doing blogs like mine!
  • Suuweet blend from mycuppa, cracked open the bag and got a huge whiff of super sweet vanilla. Very very smooth, large mid body and suuuweeet! Not my style of coffee but a sublime, excellent blend. A bit like a Genovese coffee but much better quality. A blend that I made up: 2 parts Laos, 2 parts El Salvador, 1 part Yirgacheffe Harfusa. Light milk chocolate, large mid body with a sweet clean "granny smith apple, lime" finish. Nice. And enjoying the Harrar that I roasted from the beans that Jeff very kindly gave away. Big fat stewed fruit. Thanks Jeff!
  • I'm drinking the Espresso from mycuppa. Using the Synesso basket, 22g of Espresso and woah talk about chocolate :D I did try the last of my Rononi, I only had 20.54g and not thinking I put it in the Synesso basket, big mistake, ended up with a sink shot, I should have just used the normal Sunbeam double basket and it would have been right, oh well, live and learn :D
  • Equal parts of the following Colombian Andes Santa Rita PNG Waghi AA Ethiopian Harrar Roasted together, pulled first snaps of second crack. 10 days post roast. Full flavoured coco, mid body, berry finish with a lingering almost pineapple taste. Very nice as dbl rizz flat white
  • with Brekkie - Tanza TEC Estate AA - Berries and butter melted in my mouth. 10am - Bolivia FTO - sweet caramel and choc, just like a molten mars bar. midday - Honduras CoE.......what can I say.... 2pm - Sidamo Haile Selassi.......refined sweetness and super long finish 2:05pm - Sidamo Mormosa - massive fruit attack. Think I prefer the balance of the HS 4pm - PNG A......name of farm withheld in secrecy 5pm - Sumatran Lake Tawar - brewed in syphon - delicious
  • Mmm think I might have to come and spend the day with you one day, sounds varied and delicious :)
  • on 1314957150:
    10am - Bolivia FTO - sweet caramel and choc, just like a molten mars bar.
    Mmmmm. Just roasted up 500g of this on Wednesday. Cracked it tonight. Mmmmmmmmmm. So good in milk.
  • on 1314960258:
    Mmmmm. Just roasted up 500g of this on Wednesday. Cracked it tonight. Mmmmmmmmmm. So good in milk.
    Did I mention you two suck  :P I can't eat Mars Bars anymore, actually can't eat much that has caramel in it due to the barley which has gluten in it, I want some of this!!! Off to search  ;D
  • Im drinking some Nicaragua Mierisch pure Pacamara pulped natural - there aint much of it to go around and at these prices I can see why! Havent tried it as espresso yet (waiting for a few more days age on it) - but it drinks a treat as filter... ACg
  • on 1314944192:
    Equal parts of the following Colombian Andes Santa Rita PNG Waghi AA Ethiopian Harrar Roasted together, pulled first snaps of second crack. 10 days post roast. Full flavoured coco, mid body, berry finish with a lingering almost pineapple taste. Very nice as dbl rizz flat white
    Still impressed with this one. Pulled a little shorter this morning with a smaller cup. Still flat white, more caramel this morning, some dark berries in the background too.
  • Two different ones today. First was a short black of Brazil Monte Alegre (mycuppa). Silky smooth, good mouthfeel, but something is missing - always seems to be the same when I have a brazilian. I got the beans with the intention of using as a base for blending, but thought I'd better try as a single origin as well. Second was an aeropress long black of my blend #1 (monte alegre, san isidro, tiger mtn) - works quite well, but I think the blend needs some adjustments for the aeropress rather than espresso. Will try slightly more brazilian, less costa rican, maybe a touch of harrar.
  • Third PNG Perosa, third Peru Penachi, third Sidamo. The Peru was roasted separately, pulled 2-3 degrees short of second crack. Only 3 day post roast. The orange from the Sidamo is dominating. Some light milk chocolate from the PNG is there. The Peru is only there to add some syrup sweetness, I can't pick it out out the moment. Not bad.
  • PNG Marawaka, Dem. Rep. of Congo Matadi and Panama Boquette all singly through both filter and aeropress. Will be taking a bag of the Costa Rica la Condalilla as an accompaniment to my aeropress when I head off next Tuesday morning to work at the V8's down the coast. Certainly no shortage of a good coffee while I am away.
  • Started the day today wIth a couple of double shots of harrar, 10 days post roast. Still need to tweak the grind some more, but second one really hit the spot. Perhaps I was just in the mood for a change from the PNG I have been drinking, but really enjoyed the refreshing, bright taste. Must check my roasting notes and try to repeat this one.
  • Tried some Guatamalan WeeWee  :P I haven't had any of this for quite a while.  Mixed spice aroma out of the grinder.  10 days post roast, opened the bag & first up was with milk as a machiatto, which I came to the conclusion its probably not well suited to... Then as an espresso it was magnificent.  I'm not normally a short black drinker but for this one I'm a happy convert...  ;D  Smoooth,  lemon / chocolatey,  a nice light aftertaste that lingers for quite a while. 
  • Kenyan Iena - from one of my local roasters [Mark Barun] - drinking beautifully at the moment; am really enjoying it in the plunger. A
  • 15% Finca La Fany / 35% CR Zamorana estate / 50% Kenya Karini blend. Unfortunately the result of having to put a blend together on no notice with an empty selection of beans. Boosting to 30/40/30 and switching that Karini out for Tingara or another Ethiopian would've made this fairly awesome, but as it is I'm struggling to control the tropical characteristics of the Karini. These guys didn't roast particularly well together. -- Mecca Espresso Kenya Kangocho Intersting coffee with malt, grapefruit, apricot and toffee notes depending how it was pulled. Better faster than slower, where a more cacao-y mouthfeel didn't offset increased bitterness and too much salt. Stunning both as a single origin and in their Dark Horse blend. -- Coffee Alchemy Haile Selassie Washed Redolent with wild strawberries and milk chocolate as a strong latte - didn't cut through the milk quite as much as I hoped but was pleasant and surprisingly elegant for a washed. As double ristretto, the strawberry notes continued but despite being well-structured and having some complex florals on the nose, there was a savoury note of roast tomato which once I'd picked up, really made me want to go for another coffee instead. So I had a cold drip served over ice and forgot to ask the name (I suspect it was a Central American, maybe Guatemalan). -- fin.