frame
After the old forum software breaking in a way that we were unable to fix, we've migrated the site to a new platform.

Some elements aren't working as we'd hoped - some avatars didn't survive the transition, and we're still having issues with attachments that weren't added as inline images, but we're hoping to have that all sorted out soon.

Breville Kettles

on 1306567440:

As we are adults here and don't mind talking about good and bad all will be revealed on the reliability front over the first 6 months. If that goes well then it will set a new benchmark in terms of $$ for home espresso machines.

To me it will all be about materials/build quality, as some previoius posts have mentioned... I know it's not completely relevant but just bought a breville [quiet] electric kettle... instructions said completely fill it & boil it once to get rid of taste/residues, but after filling boiling then emptying for a week, still had an awful taste in boiled water & have had to return to retailer - can only put it down to materials used in construction - this is the bit I'm worried about.

dR

Comments

• DR we've just bought a Breville kettle, the one that has the settings for tea and coffee, is that the same one you are talking about?  It says the same thing, after doing the boil, empty thing the water tastes like normal, copper copper copper!!!  Hate it but there isn't anything I can do about it. Oh just on that though, there is no way it's going through the DB, even if I have to test my OHs parents water and get it from there until we move. I can just imagine how much better our coffees will taste without the copper taint :)
  • Hi S_S - not sure; am thinking you're talking about their fancy 'tea-brewing' machine?? This is just one of those 'whisper quiet' -type electric kettles. The taste isn't actually copper - it's hard to describe, but when I looked inside I saw a mixture of metal and some synthetic surfaces, so hate to think what the actual cocktail 'ingredients' would be!! dR
  • I think S_S means this one. http://www.breville.com.au/beverages/kettles/professional-800-collectionr-variable-temperature-kettle.html I have one and have not noticed any taste. It may go away in time or you might have to exchange it
  • We are probably going OT but I bought my wife one of these breville tea makers. http://www.breville.com.au/beverages/tea-makers.html she loves it.  Even has a timer for a fresh brew first thing in the morning!  It's been great so far.
  • on 1308258938:
    I think S_S means this one. http://www.breville.com.au/beverages/kettles/professional-800-collectionr-variable-temperature-kettle.html I have one and have not noticed any taste. It may go away in time or you might have to exchange it
    I have had a brew from one of these at Cafebiz and didn't pick any problems with it and I was thinking of exchanging my old Kettle with one but if there is a problem with some of them having persistent taint issues that's not good.
  • Must admit my experience with Breville has been less than stellar, have owned a few of their products over a period of years, they always struck me as being entry level appliances. Most made it just past the warranty period before turning up their toes, but only just. Obviously others have had different experiences. :) 
  • We had an old Breville glass style kettle, had it for years and years.  Still going.  The only reason we stopped using it was the new super tea maker kettle.  If your going to buy a kettle and you don't like "funny" tastes get a glass style kettle.  They usually have an enclosed element in the s/s base and the glass sides mean the water doesn't have as much contact with metals/plastic.  I only boiled the new kettle once and it had no taste problems. It's been pretty good so far, you can vary the temp, and brew duration.  It's like having a tea pot in the kettle.  Wife loves it because she always drinks leaf tea from T2.  I do find it a bit restrictive in that you can't boil the jug for water while she is making tea, but that's the only con I can see. I also have a Breville toaster which one side doesn't stay down all the time, but it's 8 years old now so I think I got good use out of that.  Probably didn't help that my wife dropped it!  ;D  The Sunbeam toaster that I bought to replace it on the other hand lasted 2 weeks and now doesn't hold the toast down at all, so we went back to the Breville.  Pity we never kept the Sunbeam receipt so couldn't even take it back. Maybe it's just hit and miss.  You just have to hope you don't get a Friday machine. :)
  • on 1308261655:
    We are probably going OT but I bought my wife one of these breville tea makers. http://www.breville.com.au/beverages/tea-makers.html she loves it.  Even has a timer for a fresh brew first thing in the morning!  It's been great so far.
    I love the idea of this and want one, I really need to start drinking more tea though to justify having one :) coffeedoodle, yes that is the one I have, absolutely love it :) It's just brilliant what Breville are coming up with, have you seen the mix master with the spade blade, it's brilliant too :)