frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

After the old forum software breaking in a way that we were unable to fix, we've migrated the site to a new platform.

Some elements aren't working as we'd hoped - some avatars didn't survive the transition, and we're still having issues with attachments that weren't added as inline images, but we're hoping to have that all sorted out soon.

The Cold Brew Thread

13»

Comments

• Okay, had to add half as much water to coffee.  Resulting brew was good... Very good... But not as good as RichardsM's brew at one of the socials.  I think I roasted too light (pulled just on rolling FC).  The result is lightly perfumed, delicate with a lovely gentle coffee aftertaste.  In other words too subtle and not enough notes for my palate.  The caffeine kick to the head from a cup of this means that i qualify for the tee shirt: "I rode and was dumped by the Third Wave".  I think I'll stay inside the breakers from now on. Home Brew Cold Brew kit: Calling it an enjoyable and ornamental success... If only on a small scale (1 litre of post-mixed brew in 8 hours).
  • on 1355205466:
    Okay, had to add half as much water to coffee.  Resulting brew was good... Very good... But not as good as RichardsM's brew at one of the socials.  I think I roasted too light (pulled just on rolling FC).
    Wow, that brings back memories. Just for reference, that was an Ethiopian Harrar, 10:1 water:coffee, roasted to just on rolling FC, then soaked for 24 hours, super coarse grind, filtered with a clean chux.  For drip, you'd need a much higher ratio of coffee. Next time we get a heatwave, I think I'm going to do the same, but using the aeropress and coava disc as the filtering mechanism.
  • on 1355205466:
    Okay, had to add half as much water to coffee.  Resulting brew was good... Very good... But not as good as RichardsM's brew at one of the socials.  I think I roasted too light (pulled just on rolling FC).  The result is lightly perfumed, delicate with a lovely gentle coffee aftertaste.  In other words too subtle and not enough notes for my palate.  The caffeine kick to the head from a cup of this means that i qualify for the tee shirt: "I rode and was dumped by the Third Wave".  I think I'll stay inside the breakers from now on. Home Brew Cold Brew kit: Calling it an enjoyable and ornamental success... If only on a small scale (1 litre of post-mixed brew in 8 hours).
    The ratio which I use which seems to work very well is 80g of coffee per 600ml of water - ground medium to course and very lightly tamped, with two paper filters on top of the grind to distribute water evenly, and to prevent the puck from drying out I also like to use coffee that's 10 days plus post roast - so that the oils are starting to surface, even if they're not visible, as its the good oils that I'm trying to capture - and six to eight hours seems about standard to capture around 500ml Roast is pull at first sign of or just prior to the onset of second crack - seems to work pretty well, and the resulting coffee is quite a bit darker than that depicted in my original photos, and the flavours and aroma's are more inky, peaty, and aromatic... P
  • on 1355217275:
    The ratio which I use which seems to work very well is 80g of coffee per 600ml of water - ground medium to course and very lightly tamped, with two paper filters on top of the grind to distribute water evenly, and to prevent the puck from drying out I also like to use coffee that's 10 days plus post roast - so that the oils are starting to surface, even if they're not visible, as its the good oils that I'm trying to capture - and six to eight hours seems about standard to capture around 500ml Roast is pull at first sign of or just prior to the onset of second crack - seems to work pretty well, and the resulting coffee is quite a bit darker than that depicted in my original photos, and the flavours and aroma's are more inky, peaty, and aromatic... P
    Thanks for he good oil gents!  :thumb:
  • Had a smashing cold filter at the newly opened St Ali North today: Guatemala La Perla - it as dark and cloudy and served cold (sans ice) with a high level of disolved solids - which makes me think that it was infused as opposed to 'filtered' per say, with lovely stone fruit and lychee characters - yum and a bargain at only $3.50 !
  • Brett- very nice! the wood is easy for me to understand (carpenter) but where did you get all the Glass bits?
  • on 1355520763:
    Brett- very nice! the wood is easy for me to understand (carpenter) but where did you get all the Glass bits?
    Separation funnel: LG5100-500D http://www.wiltronics.com.au/catalogue/145107/science/funnels-and-filter-paper/separatory-globe-funnels I'm a eBay teapot: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/130707553756?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649#ht_500wt_922 This is a low-volume setup but for me it's about frequent and aesthetic gratification with 500-750ml results from 60g coffee. Latest results from a darker roast, just on to the first snaps of 2nd crack with a blend including Indonesian Robusta is absolutely awesome.  It's like my childhood coffee experience only far more sophisticated.  Oh the notes!!!
  • Brett, this is killer, and I'm enthused. Can I ask, how do you get ice in the top chamber? Or do you not use ice? I've been cold brewing directly over ice (pour over / aeropress) which is nice, but I'd love to dabble in cold drip too!
  • Brett, would an Aeropress barrel fit in the hole you've made for the teapot? I'd be interested to see what the difference in flavour was. You have an aeropress, right?
  • Hey RM, I don't have an Aeropress actually.  I do have a plunger though... I'll let you know!
  • I'm keen to use my aeropress for the coffee/filtering. Just need to sort a water/ice bowl with appropriate tap/dripper :)
  • I'm a eBay teapot: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/130707553756?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649#ht_500wt_922 Brett- seems just the teapot with the strainer would work for full immersion brewing? whack some grounds in it, leave it at room temp overnight then stick it in the fridge I wonder what the orig use is for the separation funnel?
  • Yep C-Man... That would work fine I reckon provided the grind is course enough.  The separation funel is used by amateur cooks to separate oil from liquids but chemists use them for...? Any dripper would do! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Separatory_funnel
  • just starting the build on my cold-drip stand :) [attachimg=1]
  • Right, it's a challenge!  Where did I put those 100x100 spotty Gum posts...  :rofl: Very nice work James! I will be interested to see how yours develops!  I have been re-treating the deck today and repairing a rusted gutter and as a reult have finished up my cold-press reserves.  Don't tell anyone but in thinking of doing a lighter roast of Finca El Injerto to try it.  Expensive but potentially yummy. I am now drinking my results from the patented BH Brugha at 1/3 coffee to water.  At this strength the notes notes notes shine through and I can drink it in a tall glass like a Long Island Iced Tea.... And still get up up on the roof  :thumb:
  • nice one :) the jarrah is left over from a decking job out the front of the house, just ripped it up, it's basically just going to be 3-shelves. Still require top bowl/tap
  • on 1355714375:
    Right, it's a challenge!  Where did I put those 100x100 spotty Gum posts...  :rofl:
    Bahhahaha  good one Brett!  you still got it! I am still not convinced cold brew is not just a fad, I have always made Ice coffee brewing it hot, then let it cool and put in fridge and later add whatever... I tasted some cold brew bottled and it was OK but I thought lacked the "body" hot brew then cooled has to offer. We go to great pains to brew normally at exact temps to get the best results, why would that change with the hot weather?  sorry to be a buzz kill LOL I will try it and see for myself I guess.
  • I gotta admit, I really like coffee brewed right over a cup of ice (cold brew over ice method). aeropress, ccd, or v60. Is brewed hot, as soon as it hits that ice it really locks in the flavour...
  • I am drinking some Iced coffee now I made yesterday, I brewed it hot carefully in a plunger using a thermometer to get the water right. left it overnight in the fridge with milk and it is delicious! If I had a blender I would blend it with Ice
  • just wondering if anybody has tried agar clarification to make a concentrate out of cold coffee. Might be a little off topic but being a bartender by trade im always trying to find ways to combine the two. Ive got some food grade agar on order so will gt some kibd of write up over the next few days.
  • not tried it, but very interested in how it goes. Does it give any benefit except for a clear extract rather than cloudy?  I guess we will find out once you have tried it. Gotta love  new coffee experiments :thumb:
  • I know that industry beans in fitzroy makes latte pearls out of chilled foam and other such delectable delights made out of coffee so presumably its possible! 
  • recent article from the Guardian on cold brew: http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2014/sep/09/coffee-cold-brew-hot-new-thing Stumptown Coffee in the US seems to be going great guns with cold brew - just wondered if anyone has tried their brew; if so what was it like? A