frame
After the old forum software breaking in a way that we were unable to fix, we've migrated the site to a new platform.

Some elements aren't working as we'd hoped - some avatars didn't survive the transition, and we're still having issues with attachments that weren't added as inline images, but we're hoping to have that all sorted out soon.

Comments

• I have one - not from that seller, but it arrived broken as the packaging is not durable. After some rebuilding (had to remove broken glass and some parts aren't using the right screws and so misaligned or easily jam on beans - I bent the arm more and installed wipers) it may work well as the base to a Turbo Crazy but time will tell. TBH it may be less fuss to just make a KKTO and have a more powerful roaster!
  • My big issue is cooling the beans effectively!  The KKTO will do up to a kilo man's outlast this for similar money.... some assembly required ;)
  • That design looks like its a copy of a stir crazy popcorn maker from the USA Coffee roaster enthusiasts have adapted a stir crazy into a coffee roaster however the stir crazy has a weak point in the drive and agitator due to the extra weight of coffee beans. And the stir crazy uses a Turbo Oven as a heat source as the inbuilt heat source is to weak for coffee roasting It works fine when the drive issues are addressed but it won't roast 1.5 kg - more like 500 grams KK
  • I can say that the heating element does go to 250 and the agitator is strong, it has steel shaft with ceramic cover and other shielding... it's an overbuilt stir crazy for sure. I can't say how well it goes by itself as mine arrived broken, I also prefer the idea of having better environmental control and IR source of the turbo oven.
  • on 1488891770:
    My big issue is cooling the beans effectively!
    I have found pouring into a dry sink brings to 50c as soon as I can measure it - I saw a similar idea on sweetmarias's to pour beans from a Behmor into a tray floating on water in the sink (the metal gets quite hot and the water assists in cooling). I just haven't found the right size tray yet!
  • on 1488933986:
    I have found pouring into a dry sink brings to 50c as soon as I can measure it - I saw a similar idea on sweetmarias's to pour beans from a Behmor into a tray floating on water in the sink (the metal gets quite hot and the water assists in cooling). I just haven't found the right size tray yet!
    Great but messy.  One of the bucket bean coolers would be a great addition to your setup.  They possibly don't have the instant temp drop you're reporting but it's a clean efficient way of cooling. 
  • Yep, chaff everywhere! It's not a huge problem for me though :)
  • The chaff issue was very important to Mrs KK I had to address it in the KKTO design or I wasn't allowed to roast  :head: I think ACG owned an original KKTO at one stage but it was gifted to another member when he was moving KK
  • This is true KK I still have a corretto setup which I use from time to time though with a heat gun and a bread maker the I chick the cooked beans in a collinder and cool.them down using the cool cycle from a hair dryer I also have a wet n dry vacuum cleaner in the shed which I chick I to reverse blow action and it has a super powerful compressed air action and I used this just recently to cool.some beans which I out into a large container with a lid nearly completely closed the lid off then pumped in the air worked a treat beans were cool in less than a minute! P
  • So... reviving this old thread. I did a very successful and delicious 1.5kg on my home-made KKTO on the weekend. Problem was, my cooler wasn’t up to it so some fan action and manual agitation was required but pretty stoked with the new Turbo Oven sourced from Catch of the Day.
  • on 1558347730:
    So... reviving this old thread. I did a very successful and delicious 1.5kg on my home-made KKTO on the weekend. Problem was, my cooler wasn’t up to it so some fan action and manual agitation was required but pretty stoked with the new Turbo Oven sourced from Catch of the Day.
    Good to hear Brett The KKTO design is capable of roasting up to 1.5 kg The only thing a KKTO needs to roast 1.5 kg is a manageable heat source and adjustable fan strength I have been roasting 1 kg batches for a few years now KK
  • on 1558347730:
    So... reviving this old thread. I did a very successful and delicious 1.5kg on my home-made KKTO on the weekend. Problem was, my cooler wasn’t up to it so some fan action and manual agitation was required but pretty stoked with the new Turbo Oven sourced from Catch of the Day.
    Details.... details..... please. The devil is always in the detail. Which Turbo oven did you succomb to? They have quite a few for sale. What tinkering did you apply?
  • This one here with the metal guard removed!
  • on 1558419152:
    This one here with the metal guard removed!
    "ERROR" No picture!
  • Thanks for the link. Did you remove the entire heat guard, or butcher it with a sharp tool (tin snips, cable cutter, etc...) leaving just a circle on which to rest it on, when you take it off the pots? Did you consider going to the dark side, and opting for the black one?
  • I unscrewed the guard completely and hang the unit from its handle for storage.