frame
After the old forum software breaking in a way that we were unable to fix, we've migrated the site to a new platform.

Some elements aren't working as we'd hoped - some avatars didn't survive the transition, and we're still having issues with attachments that weren't added as inline images, but we're hoping to have that all sorted out soon.

Making a doser grinder more single dose friendly

edited January 1970 in Grinders
Hi guys,

As the title suggests, does anyone have any tips on how to make a doser grinder more single dose friendly?

I'm currently running a compak K6 and I have only been able to remove the autofill flap to get in there with a paintbrush I bought from my favourite hardware store ( Bumrings ) to sweep the grinder chute clean but that's about as good as I can do.

Any other tips which may help ?

Comments

• Depends on how tricky it is to clear the throat/chamber, but I also find a little plastic paint spatula (or popsicle stick) to be quite handy. With another grinder I use a squeeze-blower to help remove grinds that are retained in the chamber. I don't find giving the grinder a slap on the side helps as much as used to be suggested but a slap on the feed opening with or without a flexible bowl or similar can help after brushing the burrs.
  • Sounds like you're all over it.  Not too much else to worry about.  Sure some folks will tell you that their grind chamber is as clean as a cat's bottom but I reckon if you can taste the difference between a stray gram you're in the wrong business.  No grinder short of the Versalab has zero grind retention and while the big commercials are usually the worst you've alleviated that.  My K10 is the same!
  • Thanks guys. Seems to be a common plight for all with commercial grinders at home, I guess they weren't designed for the home so it makes perfect sense. Only reason I wanted to improve it is because it's the longest part of my routine every morning . I don't mind clearing it out but was interested to know if there were faster ways of doing. But consensus seems to be the ol paintbrush trick.  Surely a kickstarter is ripe for the production of a tool !! A mini vacuum thingy attaching to the chute to suck out the grinds into the doser or something
  • Is there a risk by using the paintbrush that you push grinds into the guts of the grinder in some way? Ive never removed the burr set so I wasn't sure if when sometimes I push grinds instead of sweeping them out that it may clog something somewhere with grinds?
  • Firstly I prefer doser grinders I use hairdressers colour application brushes they work best You should dismantle and clean your grinder once a month KK
  • on 1489957886:
    Is there a risk by using the paintbrush that you push grinds into the guts of the grinder in some way? Ive never removed the burr set so I wasn't sure if when sometimes I push grinds instead of sweeping them out that it may clog something somewhere with grinds?
    I don't think so, not any more than grinding buildup. When brushing with the top burr off it doesn't seem to and the second pulse should clear anyway!