frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register
After the old forum software breaking in a way that we were unable to fix, we've migrated the site to a new platform.

Some elements aren't working as we'd hoped - some avatars didn't survive the transition, and we're still having issues with attachments that weren't added as inline images, but we're hoping to have that all sorted out soon.

Grinder Upgrade

edited January 1970 in Grinders
Hi all.

I am considering a grinder upgrade, from a M2M  to a  M4D.

Do it? Don't do it? Thoughts?

I was also considering a machine change but not sure on that yet.

Sue

Comments

• Hi Sue, For the grinder upgrade I recommend the Quamar Q50P. I prefer it to the Macap M4D and it costs $250 less as a bonus. If you want a timer take a look at the Quamar Q50E. Please take a look at my buyer's guide and website for more info. Cheers :) Paul K Bean - Buyer's Guide Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Thank you Paul, it's something to think about  :coffee2:. Why the Quamar (I know nothing about them) over the Macap? I love the M2M, bought from you, it hasn't missed a beat. Sue
  • Hi Sue. Read my thoughts on Quamar by clicking here Extract from my website re the Quamar Q50P: "The Quamar Q50P is a small Italian commercial grinder and my personal choice for home. It's is a great performer for a great price and it outsells all other grinders combined. The funnel on the front is an empty chamber designed to break up clumps and remove static from the grind. This results in low/no mess fluffy and clump-free grind. The absence of a digital display makes the grinder look cleaner and and that's why I even prefer it to the Quamar Q50E. Don't be concerned about not having a timer function. I have never felt the need for a timer. I recommend the grind and weigh technique shown on my Training Page. This is my personal choice under $1k, so being such long way under $1k makes it a star." d7b9bf27038b570984dbbe7c308e726b.jpg
  • I did read that  :). I don't suppose they come in purple  :laugh:.
  • on 1501744912:
    I don't suppose they come in purple  :laugh:.
    No purple ;) ..
  • (Sue I totally would have gone purple if the option was there too [emoji1] , I'm sure it could undergo a simple paint job though surely! FWIW I have the white one, and it looks very swish!)
  • on 1501813028:
    (Sue I totally would have gone purple if the option was there too [emoji1] , I'm sure it could undergo a simple paint job though surely! FWIW I have the white one, and it looks very swish!)
    :D, blue would have been good too but I guess there's not much call for such things  :coffee2:.
  • I have a Macap M4D, that is about 6 yrs old. I keep thinking of upgrading, but cannot commit as it does the job so well. Plus the footprint is approved by the wife. Not sure if there is anything worthwhile to upgrade to........ PS. I single dose and am not a fan of huge grinders with dose retention issues.
  • From my perspective that is good, it means you are happy with it. I'm quite attached to my M2M too but a change would be nice :).
  • Yep, there are heaps of great grinders. I find that once over the $500 mark choice is often more about aesthetics than performance. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • The M4D is a top unit for home use. I have the Chrome model and it looks great on the bench. The timer makes it easy to use. There really isn't a lot to criticise. I really can't think of anything except yes you do get a bit of clumping but I ignore it and I'm happy with the result in the cup. Doser grinders the doser helps break these up and a doser grinder is something to consider also.
  • The M4D is great but I prefer the Quamar Q50P. 2 reasons for this. 1. Better looking (I think) 2. I dose by weight so I don't need electronics. 3. Grind is less clumpy and fluffier because of the funnel. 4. MUCH neater. Number 4 is important to me as I'm a neat person ;) Even if they were the same price I would choose the Quamar Q50P. The $300 price difference makes it an easy choice to me. Cheers :) Paul Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • The larger grinders such as the SJ, Major or conicals such as the M7D, Kony, Robur and the like are great if you have the room and can get it past the wife. Dose retention issues on the conicals is over stated. I find none at all on the Mazzer Robur. I have a doser model which I like. I have had it less than a week but honestly I'm surprised just how good it is. It cost $650 and got new burrs in January. It will probably last a thousand years give or take. These larger grinders purchased second hand can be very good value, for no more than a Quamar 50 or a Macap M4D you can get a grinder that will do an awesome job and you can sell it for what you bought it for at any time. I don't always buy second hand but it is a good way to test the waters if you want to try something. If you really love it then you can buy new but most of these commercial grinders last so long it is almost pointless buying new. The biggest advantage of the smaller grinders designed for home use primarily is that they don't look out of place in a kitchen whereas very big grinders may do and might not even fit under a cupboard or in a corner. The M4D my wife says is 'beautiful', the Robur she describes as a 'monster' and said something about 'putting her foot down'. I have no idea what she intends but...:)
  • Ah it's a beauty I reckon Grant haha, industrial sized and a rockstar! Could probably grind up your tamper in it it's that swish! XD
  • Wow - That's a monster, but in a good way :) Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Chuck a Mazzer Mini short hopper on there and you'll hardly notice it's there [emoji6]
  • The Mazzer Robur may be here to stay. I am leaning to selling the Macap M4D. I may even buy a brand new Robur on eBay, Doser model. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Yes!!! I say keep the Robur or yeah buy a newie, you just seem to love it, and while it may not be 'pretty', I think what you're getting out of the grinder far outweighs that. I never even consider what a grinder looks like really, as long as it works well! Of course to each their own, but yeah sounds like a rockin' grinder. Good call Grant :D
  • on 1504734773:
    Yes!!! I say keep the Robur or yeah buy a newie, you just seem to love it, and while it may not be 'pretty', I think what you're getting out of the grinder far outweighs that. I never even consider what a grinder looks like really, as long as it works well! Of course to each their own, but yeah sounds like a rockin' grinder. Good call Grant :D
    Hi Simon: If I say I have a bigger machine than you, it is true and it can be measured with a tape measure. A very short argument. Many of the things with grinders especially are features which mean something good to one user and important and maybe the opposite to another. Flavours can't be measured with a tape measure and so the arguments are endless (not a bad thing). In the case of this machine I just like it. Some of that is the extreme robustness and indestructible nature of the beast. Some of it is obvious stuff like the quality of the grind which I can see even if I can't be 100% sure whether it means better flavour. I also like the idea of having an industry standard so custom burrs and all the parts will be easily available in 10 years time. I like it and maybe whether you like a piece of equipment or not depends on factors that it is hard to put your finger on. My Wega Mini Nova Classic for example has a rotary pump. I won't ever have a machine which isn't plumbed in and doesn't have a rotary pump. I love the sound, the smooth power and that probably isn't too logical...maybe. I did have someone today though, an industry expert tell me just how superior rotary pumps are with very even pressures and no pulses but... It may be one of the things I love about the Robur is the 900W motor and the way it quietly munches a shot in just a few seconds totally effortlessly and sounds almost bored doing it, no big deal. Maybe that is it, the same way I have a 200kW Toyota Aurion rather than the boring 4 cyclinder...
  • I'm in the keep it crowd too!
  • on 1504784984:
    I'm in the keep it crowd too!
    Yes Yes Yes. I pulled my gumtree ad. I was considering a brand new one being advertised on eBay for $1500. They suddenly like all 10 disappeared so suspect it was a a scam. I was lucky to get a really good one cheap. I am looking at aftermarket burrs even though the burrs in it which were put in January seem to work fine. Any burrrr thoughtssss? Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • on 1504910361:
    ...considering a brand new one being advertised on eBay for $1500. They suddenly like all 10 disappeared so suspect it was a a scam.
    Would have been a scam or a listing error Simon.
  • A Robur Doser model ranges in price from $2200 to $3400 depending on who you buy it from. The doser models are not as popular as the doserless and seem to be discounted much more. A Kony ranges in price from $1400 to $2200 for the Doser model. Big differences. I suspect a lot of Robur models are available due to not only their popularity but the new Mazzer Kold model. This is how I got mine cheap.
  • Mazer Kold has not exactly set the world on fire since its launch a couple of years ago, so i really doubt it's materially affecting the price of Roburs as such. Own 3 Kolds and had a couple of high volume Cafes reject them after a while........but in that segment it's more about the competition from other brands, particularly the Mythios and of course baristas blaming their tools and being snowflakes. 3rd party burrs have in the past, and I'm referring to a period as recent as 12 months ago, caused too many problems. I simply won't touch them. Or maybe I'm just cursed.
  • You may well be right but Mazzer Robur burrs definitely went through a bad period. These burrs should take minimal bedding in. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk