frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

After the old forum software breaking in a way that we were unable to fix, we've migrated the site to a new platform.

Some elements aren't working as we'd hoped - some avatars didn't survive the transition, and we're still having issues with attachments that weren't added as inline images, but we're hoping to have that all sorted out soon.

Brisbane's Best Coffee...

Comments

• actually in spite of earlier post, bottom line is I'd like to re-iterate: was blown away by quality of coffee in Brisbane & the passion of a whole new generation of great talent!
  • I am honored to have been a part of the panel, and glad not everyone we could/should have put in the short list made it. Just proves the specialty coffee scene up here is larger than we all thought. :-) The top 5 I think will be good. And I know two espresso bars that won't like the the results, one because they let themselves down, and the other because they never made our shortlist. But they will next time. :-) And yeah, head cold + 17 coffees = is not fun at all!!
  • I want to be invited or recruited to be a coffee taster next time Can I can I can I AM put in a good word for me KK
  • And would  like to say (publicly) if I went in and was charged (or in this case, my guest was charged) $4 a shot, even using a lever espresso machine (which was the selling point) I should not be able to drink an espresso for $2 and it be 10 times better.
  • on 1301404444:
    I want to be invited or recruited to be a coffee taster next time Can I can I can I AM put in a good word for me KK
    You designed the KK home roaster? Awesome! :-) I think next time we hit the cafes all at the same time. Reckon one more judge on the panel would work.
  • so the top 5 have been decided? or is there more judging to be done?
  • Hi Matty - yes, all done & dusted I'm afraid; KK - happy to look at additional panelists for next year. A PS the intention is that the final Top 5 will not be released until the Autumn issue comes out in around 2 1/2 weeks, so panelists please keep this secret [under pain of death]!
  • on 1301485282:
    on 1301460838:
    Hi Matty - yes, all done & dusted I'm afraid; KK - happy to look at additional panellists for next year. A PS the intention is that the final Top 5 will not be released until the Autumn issue comes out in around 2 1/2 weeks, so panellists please keep this secret [under pain of death]!
    Oh you mean I have to revisit a couple of SPECIFIC places and have a double :-)
    Then I will help you with that task AM  ::) We will see what next review time brings KK
  • for those who were interested, this is the broad' shortlist that we considered for this year's feature: Bellisimo Blackstar Coffee Blue Sky Brother Espresso [Bulimba] Bunker Cup Specialty Coffee Chic espresso Caffeine Espresso Campos Cornerstore Cafe Dandelion & Driftwood Di Bella, Bowen Hills Elixir Fifth Battery Mad Espresso One drop Specialty Coffee Pourboy Espresso Veneziano First pour Results for Top 5 will be out in Autumn issue in newsagents end of next week! A
  • one final point - we always like to have a 'peoples choice' when we do Bestcafes for a city - have put up a poll of our [tight] shortlist - if you're a Brissy-based person, please feel free to vote [& pass on to friends] - see home page [or click] www.bestcafes.com.au A
  • Ok guys - our official Best cafes of Brisbane going up early afternoon tomorrow - watch this space! A
  • Ok here it is - Brisbane's Best Cafes 2011 judged on their coffee: 1. Cup Specialty 2. Dandelion & Driftwood 3. One Drop 4. Campos 5. Bunker Best 'up-and-coming': Corner Store We'll be putting up our full story on the Crema home page later today; congratulations to all the Top 5 and in particular Josh Russell of Cup Specialty! A PS  we spent a lot of time on this, including multiple visits by multiple judges and a pretty sophisticated judging process - more about this in a later post.
  • on 1302830170:
    Ok here it is - Brisbane's Best Cafes 2011 judged on their coffee: 1. Cup Specialty 2. Dandelion & Driftwood 3. One Drop 4. Campos 5. Bunker Best 'up-and-coming': Corner Store We'll be putting up our full story on the Crema home page later today; congratulations to all the Top 5 and in particular Josh Russell of Cup Specialty! A PS  we spent a lot of time on this, including multiple visits by multiple judges and a pretty sophisticated judging process - more about this in a later post.
    Great list and I am sure that they were very deserving Congratulations to all the winners KK
  • Quick note on methodology - we made multiple visits over a period of several weeks, with a panel of experienced coffee people. Results were submitted by judges and averaged to get our result. For the record, there were a couple of the cafes where we expected different results [one prominent roaster/cafe was struggling because their roaster had broken down] but to follow our strict judging criteria, we had to stick with the results we found when we did our visits... Most importantly, judging was undertaken purely on the basis of the quality of the coffee; thanks again to our reviewers in Brissy - Tim Adams [ex Aust. Barista Champ], Kane Blaber - top brissy barista and Mark Watts [alias our very own BlIss on the Crema forum]. A
  • I will be visiting sometime this week an establishment in West End Brisbane its called West End Coffee House 80 Vulture Street, West End, QLD, 4101, It was recommended by a bloke I had contracted him to make me some cabinetry products He has a La Marzocco GS3 and a Robur at work I gave him a sample of my KKTO roasted beans Anyhow this cafe has a slayer running So In will report back after my visit KK
  • I finally got to Campos for brunch on Sunday.  The food was wonderful, the coffee excellent and the service outstanding.  I can't wait to try the rest of the list if this is the benchmark!
  • Well we were just passing through brisvegas today and didn't have time to stop at more than one cafe - so we chose Dandelion and Driftwood Needless to say we weren't dissapointed - I personally had five coffees but my favourites would have to be the Tanzania SO piccolo, and a Nicaraguan cold drip filter coffee - both of which were excellent So great to see a coffee focused cafe with a great well thought out fitout, not dominaed by the coffee equipment Admittedly the food menu is pretty limited but the offerings are good - even so it's all about the coffee here and the food merely serves as a backdrop to the stunning array of coffees on offer - which are available in a variety of ways including espresso based, Trifecta, chemix, cold filter, and syphon All in all a great coffee experience - made my self imposed lack of coffee consumption in Byron all the more worthwhile as I made up for lost time! Well done to Peter and crew!
  • I have friends at Bracken Ridge who are in need of a good local cafe or good local coffee without driving to the valley.  Thoughts?
  • I thinjk I have heard that Cleanskin at Brendale have a cafe as well as selling roasted.
  • And Aida and Shannon in at Nest had a little girl last Wednesday.
  • Thanks guys.  That gives me something to go on.  The cafe Of choice out that way is Gloria Steams thus any hole in the wall selling mud is an improvement.  These are people who described the shot from their local GJs as bitter and offensive.  what was in that shot that cut through 250ml of milk, cream and sugar... And shouldn't have?  They are also Saeco double floor preground people at home (Merlos in a tin in the fridge).  I've had it and it's better than McCrappy and GJs.  AM, fancy starting a cafe at the back of beyond?  I'll sing at your launch gratis if I get o play on the Synesso...s!
  • on 1321597561:
    Neli Coffee Well I dropped in and had TWO espresso shots.. 1: They were advertising a MM SO  ;D A:  Was not an unpleasant shot but lacking the body I would expect and have had on other occasions. Had a mild mouth feel but again lacking that, almost buttery texture I have had with MM. Had a good rinse and drink of water and went for the next espresso. 2:  For the love of me I can remember what it was  :pan  A:  Had a better mouth feel and was bright on the palet with out any outstanding acidity.  This shot also had more aroma and a light buttery texture... I would have shot 2 again, but the MM one did not show the full qualities of a good MM and thus unless good reason to try, I would leave the MM so that my fond memories are not dulled. What was also pleasing was that there was no driving need to flush any after tasts and thus enjoyed the coffee even after leaving. The Ambiance was good and plenty to have a look at and nose around.  Two roasters in view and one was in operation. If you up that way, worth the time to make an extra 5 min drive to have a shot or two. Could almost be worth listing as a possible Crema visit re the next QLD round of best coffees in Brisbane.
    Or a social!  Thanks for this info.  I'll pass it along.
  • on 1321341228:
    I have friends at Bracken Ridge who are in need of a good local cafe or good local coffee without driving to the valley.  Thoughts?
    Hi Brett Best bet from an almost local is Cleanskin /Saint coffee at Brendale. La Marzocco GB5 & Mazzer  Roburs on the bench. No Food but good coffee.
  • on 1321347658:
    And Aida and Shannon in at Nest had a little girl last Wednesday.
    Hi MP I drove past Nest the other day and saw it closed, is it the result of baby and will be re opening, or are they closed for good? Looked fairly vacant in passing
  • on 1321658912:
    Hi Brett Best bet from an almost local is Cleanskin /Saint coffee at Brendale. La Marzocco GB5 & Mazzer  Roburs on the bench. No Food but good coffee.
    Thanks mate... Advice greatfully received and passed on.  I will be driving through the north side occasionally in the coming weeks so will try to sample also.
  • Anytime Brett. PM me when going through and I'll try to meet you there.
  • on 1321733285:
    Anytime Brett. PM me when going through and I'll try to meet you there.
    Brilliant!
  • I'll be heading over to Bezzera sometime this week if all goes to plan for a same-day service of my '09. It means I need both good coffee nearish to Coopers Plains, hopefully somewhere that has free wi-fi so I can get some work done while I wait. I also need to trek over to Keperra (might be better to do it on my way up from the Sunny Coast) to pick up my ultra-cheap pot set for the KKTO, so I guess I could also go to anywhere in between to hang for most of the day. Any recommendations for those two locations?
  • I still think that the best, most consistent coffee can be found at my place!! Coffee Secrets Tokyo blend made on my Simonelli with Barambah organics milk - heaven. But if heaven is closed I like to go to Elixir - even though they can sometimes be a little inconsistent.
  • I enjoy Campos Coffee in Brizzy ;)