frame
After the old forum software breaking in a way that we were unable to fix, we've migrated the site to a new platform.

Some elements aren't working as we'd hoped - some avatars didn't survive the transition, and we're still having issues with attachments that weren't added as inline images, but we're hoping to have that all sorted out soon.

Newcastle's best coffee...

edited October 2011 in Cafe reviews
Please place your opinions here!

my pick is:
Coffee on Crown
3 Crown Street
Newcastle

too sad its closed on sunday

Comments

• H Ali welcome to the forum. Just did a minor edit to your post it read a bit like an add for them which is a bit of a no no  :) From what I have read there is a few decent places popping up in and around Newcastle these days unlike last time I was there.
  • no problem  :), i should have read the posting guidelines first.  :-[ for the record i am in no way related to that cafe apart from getting coffee from there a few times.
  • No prob's like all web forums etc we get our share of would be spammers  ;) Last time I was up in that part of the world I was playing with big kites on Stockton and up at Fingal bay, coffee universally shocking. I was very happy I had brought my own. Is there a couple of micro roasters around town these days?
  • I am an Ex Novacastrian Visit the family & friends periodically KK
  • yah, i have heard there are a few good roasters around but that is what i am here to find out, as i dont have much local knowledge regarding good coffee/roasters in Newcastle. so any info would be great.
  • on 1318162313:
    yah, i have heard there are a few good roasters around but that is what i am here to find out, as i dont have much local knowledge regarding good coffee/roasters in Newcastle. so any info would be great.
    Spoke to a lifelong friend tonight (my best man at my wedding) He said he sometimes goes Sprocket Roasters in Hunter st He lives in Hamilton KK
  • Cheers KK, since i haven't been able to pick up any Pablo & Rusty's last week, hence running low on  beans, ideal time to give them a go. will visit them in the morning i think!  8)
  • There is also Remedy Coffee, he isn't a pick up roaster though.  He is greatly admired by the other roasters in the area as well.
  • cannot find Remedy roaster in newcaslte, the only one that came up is one in WA http://www.remedycoffee.com.au/#!contact-
  • Sorry this is not coffee but still of interest because they have nice cocoa powder If you want to know where to go and get multi cultural food & nice cocoa powder  :D The place is huge and open to the public Its called Bibina in Warners Bay http://www.bibina.com.au/ KK
  • I'll be frequenting them often once we move in, they carry a lot of gluten free products.
  • on 1318233697:
    I'll be frequenting them often once we move in, they carry a lot of gluten free products.
    Yes they carry more stock than any supermarket & then some, the warehouses are huge Its a family business KK
  • Staying at Noah's on the beach in Newcastle, we have ventured around to sample a few brews. Unfortunately, I was going to catch up with Adrian at Peaberry's but time was not on our side. The last few days Liquid Gold opposite Newcastle Beach has been constantly overflowing with patrons. The 25 minute wait and almost impossible to find seat are a little too much to bear. This morning we tried Scottie's Fish Cafe ( corner Scott and Zaara st) for brekky and to be honest I was dubious about ordering a coffee - old San Marino Lisa R with  Mazzer mini as the sole grinder. The poor Mini was running constantly. I ordered a double Rizzi with 3/4 milk. The poor lass taking the order looked puzzled but walked away and I could see her conferring with the barista. 5 mins later my coffee arrived and it was superb. Rich, smooth, creamy with a super long malt caramel finish. 9.5 outta 10. Considering the kit being used they should have probably got a 10. The brekky was nice and afterwards I went up and spoke to the Barista. They were using a local roaster called Silverskin ( I think). We had a chat about new grinders and explained How his grinder would be hot ( which it was). This afternoon we went to Sprocket HQ and the single origin they had running was a Kenyan ????? As none of the staf or barista knew what it was. We ordered a couple of coffees and they were only ok ( I won't share my real thoughts as it is unfair). white LM FB70 with Ditting grinders. Hippo in Warner's Bay was again packed to the rafters. My coffee was ok ( again I won't share my real thoughts). The coffee scene looks to be improving here in Newcastle and I am sure there are many places pumping out great coffee  A few cafes we have eaten had espresso machines but alas they were big 10+ year old machines that appeared to have not been cleaned or serviced in a long time. You know the look - grinder hoppers so oily you cannot see the beans. Group handles sitting cool on the drip trays and dose chambers fully loaded with ground coffee yet no barista in sight. Scottie's Fish Cafe has been the standout so far. Total surprise package.
  • I've got to love when someone that knows what they are talking about comes to Newcastle, from now on I'll just say here read this instead of 'coffee from there is crap'.  ;D