frame
After the old forum software breaking in a way that we were unable to fix, we've migrated the site to a new platform.

Some elements aren't working as we'd hoped - some avatars didn't survive the transition, and we're still having issues with attachments that weren't added as inline images, but we're hoping to have that all sorted out soon.

Seattle coffee

edited January 1970 in Cafe reviews
I'm sitting in the cafe of a Seattle specialty roaster, highly caffeinated after having some fun cupping a bunch of their current offerings.

3x South Americans (Guatemalans), and one Yirg.  Have to say I wasn't really impressed much with any of the South Americans, and even the Yirg wasn't jumping out as I was expecting with florals and/or much fruit.

So I ordered a Chemex of the Yirg and tried the same bean I'd just cupped earlier.

A little smoother, and a little more flavour but still not really a standout.  Maybe old crop or roasted a little too dark to bring out its best(?)

I'm off home tomorrow then back to the US again next week for some cupping and roast profiling training...

I

Comments

• We went to Seattle a couple of years ago, and have to admit to having some preconceptions about Seattle coffee [it is the home to Starbucks after all] but were pleasantly surprised - we found some great cafes there, including the 'classic' Cafe Vivaci owned by David Schomer, and a couple of pretty cool ones called Victrola and Bauhaus. feel free to use this thread as a bit of a 'blog' of your experiences when you're back there A
  • Yeah it's a bit odd, but in a nice way. I was walking down the street and thinking to myself, "so this is where all the hipsters come from..." I'd have loved to explore some more cafe's / roastery's but just ran out of time and got to get back to work. I did have a great bucket of seafood on the pier that they just upturn and empty out right on top of your table!  Also, had a fantastic Rueben sandwich - I forgot how good those things are.  Seattle's a nice place; one of those cities you visit and think that you wouldn't mind living there. Heres a couple of non coffee pics from the museum of flight - which is well well worth a visit.
  • Just had time to try another (different) Yirg at Seattle coffee works, this time from a V60. Much better than yesterday but still a bit lacking IMHO. I grabbed a Hario kettle from a chef supplies shop at the market, so I should be all set now to see how lacking my own pour overs are when I get home... The kettle looks well designed but feels very light and tinny - first glance at the quality was not too inspiring.  I got it for USD$45.
  • Back in Seattle again and this time I managed to pay a visit to Victrola, Kaladi & Cafe Vita. Victrola has a kind of homely feel to the place and you can sit and watch the roasting & packing going on while you drink.  They roast on a large Diedrich with full automation all the way from loading, roasting, destoner and then out the other side dispensed in pre-weighed amounts. I had a nice Kenya V60 pour over, which was surprisingly sweet and not overly acidic. After that I continued up Pike St and had an espresso at Kaldi and Vita.  Vita's girl behind the counter had an attitude and didn't like it when I asked her what was in the blend... They look like a bigger operation than Victrola. Looking through the glass you can see someone's old school motorbike parked a few metres away from the roaster! Both these caf
  • sounds good Borat, but where are the pics of the peeps at Vita? wimp  :stir
  • Found myself back in Seattle again, and so here's the pic of Vita. Sorry no tattooed cafe wenches this time...  (It must be too cold for them) Tried the espresso again, and also a very nice Nicaragua pour over.  Have to say Vita's coffee is a level above anything else I've tried here.
  • Nice!  How do you find the caffeine effects your sleep/timezone combobulation?
  • "Combobulation"  ??? In the words of that infamous wanna-be  :stir politician: "Please explain".
  • It's a word that doesn't really exist but is fun to use.  It means cool, calm and collected.  Discombobulated is the opposite and is a real word.
  • Yes I have to say that I suffer from severe discombobulation....  Short trips to the US generally mean a routine of going to sleep in the late afternoon and waking before midnight. That minimises most of the jet lag when returning home. I've also perfected the lost art of eating any meal at any time of the day ;)
  • I think Seattle is the home of the Slayer, maybe hunt down a cafe' with a Slayer?