frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register
After the old forum software breaking in a way that we were unable to fix, we've migrated the site to a new platform.

Some elements aren't working as we'd hoped - some avatars didn't survive the transition, and we're still having issues with attachments that weren't added as inline images, but we're hoping to have that all sorted out soon.

Nitro brew

Been a while since ive had time to post anything up but keeping busy over here. The latest projects been putting together a nitro setup for Dublins first proper coffee and tea expo/festival. Only had a working product since Friday morning and the show started Friday afternoon.
But so far its been all positive comments,usually starting with " thats weird". Will add some more info when the caffeen levels drop a bit:)

Comments

• on 1410654714:
    Been a while since ive had time to post anything up but keeping busy over here. The latest projects been putting together a nitro setup for Dublins first proper coffee and tea expo/festival. Only had a working product since Friday morning and the show started Friday afternoon. But so far its been all positive comments,usually starting with " thats weird". Will add some more info when the caffeen levels drop a bit:)
    Sounds like it would be a big hit in our part of the world with our hot weather KK
  • That looks EPIC!!!  :thumb:
  • Pretty much cold drip put through a nitrogen charged beer tap? I think that is the basic concept. Chester
  • turned out to be the suprise hit of the show here! Went through about 50 liters over 3 days in 80ml tasters. It still needs work but when you are the little guy and all the big guys are comming back for seconds its gotta be a good sign:) Pretty much a 16 hour cold brew thats kegged,charged with CO2 and then hooked up to a nitro gas mix. Ive a few ideas bouncing around now of different directions to take it so hopefully its a good starting point for something more.
  • I've been playing around for the last week with the nitro brew and I've figured out I need to start from scratch with the cold brew. Nearly every comment I got was it was "different" but in a good way. People see something that looks like a Stout but are told its coffee and their heads melt:) Expecting one thing but tasting something else is where my real problem is gonna be so it would make sence to start fresh with the brew! Coffee beans of course kinda have to be the main ingredient but the cold brew does loose something when it's hooked up to nitrogen. Most seem to water the brew down, usually 1 or 2 parts water to brew but I like the concentrate! Spices would be the obvious choice but it's easy to overkill. I'm leaning towards things like loose leaf herble/fruit teas infused in sugar syrup, aging in old barrels or maybe adding coco beans or malt. The hardest thing is trying to do something different with something people are already so used to. Another side is adding heat,either during brewing or after. I'm gonna play around with a few things over the next few weeks and get a few more videos up, if anybody wants to throw ideas out there fire away:)
  • Add a level teaspoon of real maple syrup per 500ml of cold brew to enhance the coffee flavour KK
  • :) getting close,maybe a little over-nitrogenised but really smooth
  • on 1412367618:
    :) getting close,maybe a little over-nitrogenised but really smooth
    Looks like beer in a dainty glass  ;D
  • Back at it with the nitro brew, not sure I posted this already but gives a clearer view of whats going on. Gonna focus on this for the next few weeks and see if I can get it out there in time for summer. Also gonna pull the Fracino apart and give it an overhaul,busy few weeks over December and think it could do with a littleTLC.Will get some pics when I strip it down
  • on 1421281088:
    Back at it with the nitro brew, not sure I posted this already but gives a clearer view of whats going on. Gonna focus on this for the next few weeks and see if I can get it out there in time for summer. Also gonna pull the Fracino apart and give it an overhaul,busy few weeks over December and think it could do with a littleTLC.Will get some pics when I strip it down
    Interesting Ratrod, as you comment earlier, looks very much like a Guinness.
  • Nice.  So how does it all work?  What does it taste like?
  • I was all excited to see beer taps at Dominion Coffee in Townsville but when I ordered their excellen cold-press it came from a jug in the fridge :/ The barista didn't know if and when the taps would be connected... you'd see a lot of it up there in the heat.
  • Its kind of a hard one to explain, the initial taste really does a number on your pallet. I think the bubbles throw  things off a bit,its usually followed by a strange look and a smirk:) I get a deep rich almost coco/chocolate taste but Ive only been using medium/dark roasts. I also dont water things down when its kegged. From what Ive learned abt the chemistry of it all a little Co2 is needed along with the Nitrogen, mainly because the nitrogen doesnt dissolve. Instead a certain amount bonds to proteins in the brew and changes the flavour,the cold brew from the same beans doesnt taste anything like the nitro brew! Im still working on a few things but I dont think sugar is going to be added before its kegged,maybe a simple sugar syrup in the glass before its poured. Im going to brew up some lighter roadts during the week along with a few other things, will keep you guys informed anyway:)
  • Thanks Rad!  It sounds amazing!
  • oh im keen to hear how this progress Im in the process of bringing my own cold brew coffee to market myself - but no nitrogen or CO2!
  • I'm going to try cold brew in a friends Soda Stream.  They're OS at the moment but when thy return I'll make them a proposition (so to speak)!
  • Tried a couple of these this week at cafes. One was really quite stale, just couldn't shake that. The other one was much better also having a bit of character and nuances. I'm going to try another one at a different cafe and see how it is. One thing I will say is that sizes are too big, I dont finished them. Good to see more coffee options.
  • I haven't seen it anywhere up here!  Has anyone see this available in Brisbane? What's the sizes you are being poured adelaidecoffee?
  • on 1424000434:
    What's the sizes you are being poured adelaidecoffee?
    I think one of them might of been a large takeaway cup size, and the other bigger than that. But thats a guess. I'll take note of the size of the next one I have. Quality coffee doesnt have a relationship with large sizes. I think we have 4 cafes in ADL serving these Nitro drinks.
  • So what are people calling this drink - nitro brew or coffee on tap?
  • Never had but must try one day. One of my favourite drinks is cold brew mixed with sparkling mineral water.
  • on 1424392329:
    One of my favourite drinks is cold brew mixed with sparkling mineral water.
    Tried this recently, not bad, but, not good enough to repeat the process. :)
  • veneziano coffee are bringing a nitro cold brew to market and i believe that their brisbane stores have been targeted for inclusion of the product - melbourne is already up and running so brisbane cant be too far behind
  • Is there anywhere else in the Brisbane area that you can pick up one of these?
  • I'm still in the research/development phase but already have a few established cafes that want to take it on, the first one should go on next week sometime. Co2 will add a bitter taste and will need a lot of sugar to get past that (think fizzy soft drink vs flat soft drink) It's funny because I've gotten different taste results doing things the same way so there's definitely gotta be some blending done with batches to get a consistent batch taste. It's probably gonna be more.offa.seasonal drink here,really gotta get it out there in the next few weeks and see how things go.
  • Certainly is nice to see a few old/new faces posting. Welcome back people, keep up the good work, we really need your input. :thumb:
  • on 1424818243:
    It's probably gonna be more.offa.seasonal drink here,really gotta get it out there in the next few weeks and see how things go.
    You might get some sunshine soon! :)  I'm sure once it warms up iced coffees, and cold drip will be all the rage.  I haven't see this product anywhere around on the sunshine coast yet, but I'm sure it will filter though eventually. :)  I should have kept an eye out for in on my trip to Melbourne!
  • I'm still yet to 'borrow' a soda stream but will post once I do.  It won't be as velvety as nitro but I reckon with the right cold-drip it'll be refreshing.  Veneziano eh... Aren't they now owned by coffee klub?
  • on 1424840817:
    I'm still yet to 'borrow' a soda stream but will post once I do.  It won't be as velvety as nitro but I reckon with the right cold-drip it'll be refreshing.  Veneziano eh... Aren't they now owned by coffee klub?
    But that would be soda brew, not nitro brew!  :rofl:  Would be interesting all the same.  I've never owned one, I calculated that purchasing one, and gas, is more expensive than my wife buying soda water from Coles in bottles without the hassle. :)  They used to be massive when I was a kid though.