frame
After the old forum software breaking in a way that we were unable to fix, we've migrated the site to a new platform.

Some elements aren't working as we'd hoped - some avatars didn't survive the transition, and we're still having issues with attachments that weren't added as inline images, but we're hoping to have that all sorted out soon.

Upgrading filter baskets and shower screens

edited January 1970 in Accessories
Hey,

But of a newbie question here. Will upgrading filter baskets and shower screens I.e to IMS, VST and (any other acronym know to man ) improve your coffee or is the impact of such an upgrade more to do with other elements of the process I.e cleanliness, repeatability,  consistency, water distribution etc or both?

Dare I ask about the whole ridged vs  ridgless debate also? Although I'm pretty sure that wouldn't have any effect on shot quality? Am I that naive?

My head is spinning on the subject!

Thanks guys

Comments

• Most commentators agree that the average person is not going to taste the difference between a VST and a non VST basket bit I beg to differ I have found superior and noticeable shot quality using these baskets They're a tricky beast to manage in a busy commercial setting however because they tend to trap a lot more oils (than non VST) so they need to be rinsed a lot more often which can be a bit tricky when you're under the pump Not convinced that there's any benefit to ridged verses non ridged baskets in my experience P
  • Firstly, pat do you ever sleep? 4am replies, 2am replies . Your dedication to this forum astounds me!! Secondly, would you say different baskets present different flavour profiles? Some give more body, some accentuate acidity more etc etc? Are there more forgiving baskets I should consider. I presume by "forgiving" you mean your distribution needs to be spot on? Thirdly, are these basket upgrades only worth it if you are a pure espro drinker? Lastly, what about the shower screens? Any value for money in an upgrade? Thanks again
  • Dont personally use a special filter basket, the basket I have used for many years is a standard Synesso  that is matched to my tamper But I do use an IMS filter group head screen and that works well in keeping the group head much cleaner than the standard KK
  • I agree that the IMS screens are much better for low maintenance and even water distribution I tried a variety of baskets before settling on the VST and I suggest that you do the same - I like the VST because I found that they pull more fruit sugars and brighter acidity our of the mix, which is a bit intangible really, but the main thing I noticed was that customers were complementing me on the shot quality and consistency, and even asking if I'd switched coffee brands ! I think VST is something you look at as part of a variety of measures to see how it improves what you're tasting in the cup, as the VST tends to pull everything out of the coffee, both good and bad, so if there's any faults in the roast or if your product is too fresh, it tends to show up more From memory we also changed our milk supplier after introducing VST as the profile changed in the cup and the old one wasn't cutting it any more ... P
  • A filter basket is relatively inexpensive for a large gain I would give a competition IMS basket a try if I could get the precise fit for my tamper KK
  • on 1489447101:
    A filter basket is relatively inexpensive for a large gain I would give a competition IMS basket a try if I could get the precise fit for my tamper KK
    ive used the IMS basket as well and I thought they were excellent
  • Some baskets appear to behave differently at different doses, or be easier to get right from a technique point of view - if we try and combine the commentary and stories of many users... but when it comes down to it, if you're using a 58mm and have your skills down pat it might not matter too much
    (Socratic Coffee's analysis pending!) My experience isn't with 58mm so I can't comment on that specifically but have noted in the lower diameters, baskets behave very differently and some might be more to your preference than another.
  • I love my IMS screens, Paesedo and VST baskets. I found for the Splendor 18g rigeless VST plus the IMS screen suited me best.  The great joy is that for not a lot of money a lot of experimental discovery and fun can be had.
  • I'm a fan of the IMS baskets and shower screens.  The latest IMS screens are packed with tech inc "nanotech".  Read about them here: https://www.kbean.com.au/extras/ims-precision-shower-screen
  • Picture of the latest from IMS: 47f52bfb399bdcfd680c423cc5e783b3.jpg
  • Wow they look great! I want one! Hahah . do you sell baskets as well Paul? Would it be fair to say that your tamper would need to be matched to these baskets in order to get the best out of them? If I had a stock standard 58mm tamper would it be a complete waste of time trying out the IMS or VST's? How important is tamper choice when using these baskets? Or could I get away with it using a standard tamper. Fascinating discussion by the way. I had absolutely no idea the impact a small filter basket could have!
  • This is one of the reasons I haven't gone down this path My Tamper is 58.70mm Need to find a matching basket KK
  • I had my tampers machined by my coffee roaster to fit the baskets, now  that's what I call service!
  • Ok so tampers seem to be critical in getting the best out of these baskets. I certainly pan on mastering the current lot of baskets I have first but figure these upgrades could be my next logical step in the quest for coffee heaven. If and when I'm ready I'm leaning towards the IMS screens and baskets ( because the comments suggest they may be more forgiving ?). Do you guys know which tamper size or brands best match those baskets?
  • You can have the retailer select a tamper to match your chosen basket for best fit If you get a Pesado 58.5 filter you can match it up with Pesado Tamper - so its a set I had my tamper made by Greg Pulman and matched to the basket KK
  • on 1489473188:
    Wow they look great! I want one! Hahah . do you sell baskets as well Paul?
    Here's a link: www.kbean.com.au/espresso-accessories/
    on 1489473188:
    Would it be fair to say that your tamper would need to be matched to these baskets in order to get the best out of them? If I had a stock standard 58mm tamper would it be a complete waste of time trying out the IMS or VST's?
    You could use a 58mm tamper with one of these but 58.5 is ideal :) .....10% off accessories for forum people :)
  • on 1489477750:
    This is one of the reasons I haven't gone down this path My Tamper is 58.70mm Need to find a matching basket KK
    Have you tried a Pesado/IMS 58.5 basket KK?  I'm sure it would fit like a piston as with 58.5 tampers there's still a tiny bit of play. Cheers, Paul
  • on 1489582301:
    Have you tried a Pesado/IMS 58.5 basket KK?  I'm sure it would fit like a piston as with 58.5 tampers there's still a tiny bit of play. Cheers, Paul
    No I haven't and it slipped my mind since my last look at them I would like to visit a stockist in Brisbane and take my tamper and test it for fit KK 
  • Easy... Simply Beans has them!  My 22g Pesado basket cost me 22.95 from them.  That is cheaper than Dolo where I first discovered their loveliness so it may be an end-of-line price.  Get there fast and PM me when you're going... I might be able to pop down for a cafe!
  • Are they in Compton Rd Underwood Brett When are you free KK
  • Yep!  Possibly not until Monday now :/
  • Hi guys, They're probably clearing only stock.  The new stock has all the bells and whistles - new tech. "The brand new Pesado/IMS Shower Screen features a Quartz surface applied with nanotechnology. It consists of a special membrane built inside the supporting body of the shower and has a filtering capacity of 200 μM. Individually laser cut, the narrow holes of these showers slow water flow and avoid build up of residue behind the screen. Manufacturing these as a single piece strengthens the body and smoothes the surface, resulting in a long lasting and consistent shower. The Difference: Standard showers and baskets are "pressed" resulting in a pyramid shaped hole. On these showers, the cone shaped internal surface of the holes does not present any sharp corners or friction thus allowing ease of liquid flow. The quartz coating will improve the water flow, make the cleaning process of the shower a simple wipe and increase extraction consistency." Seems a little like over-kill to me ;)
  • My IMS dispersion screen is several year old and it's rated @ 200um
  • on 1489885098:
    My IMS dispersion screen is several year old and it's rated @ 200um
    Mine is also several years old and still in "as new" condition.  It's a shower screen for life :)
  • Would any of you know if the synesso or IMS baskets be a big improvement over the diadema stock baskets? I'm led to believe that the diadema baskets are the ones used in their commercial machines also?
  • Synesso are a small to medium improvement mainly due to build Haven't used the IMS to comment Either way a change in technique is a normal acurance whenever a basket change is made KK
  • Hey WV.... they sure are!  I used IMS screens in my Diadema and VST 18g baskets.  That was my sweet spot.  The Synesso ridgeless was okay and the Paesedo 22g over-kill!  Do it I say and make sure you have a reasonable tamper.  I have a Pullman (the 13th one he ever made, no markings or logo) and a cheap eBay 58mm (ish).  They're both great!
  • Thanks for the tips guys. I'm leaning towards the VST's for know. I did inherit what I believe to be a straight 58mm tamper with the machine. There is a little clearance each side in the stock diadema baskets. I'm hoping it won't be my undoing in going for and practising with the VST as I'd prefer not to upgrade tamper. I'll hook myself up with some IMS screens a bit later in the year when I change over my group head seals. I'll tell the missus it's all part of the seal kit  :D Although if you ever choose to offload your very rare sounding Pullman Brett 😀 Hahahah. Great score by the way!
  • It wasn't a particularly educated score.... in the late 90's I received an email from Alan Frew saying this engineer coffee loving dude was making some tampers.  I sent my 80 or 90 dollars, I don't remember and was 13th on the list.  I remember showing it and saying to a local fabricator mate "get into this market... the prices folks are paying are astronomical"!  He took a quick look, said bargain and and asked where to order one for himself. Imagine my surprise when a few years later I joined CS and found my out that the tamper maker was a coffee household name!  I wonder how the new owners are going?
  • My tamper was from the first run of the Barista model I'm sure it's also the first one ordered with a convex base I have 2 handles one in silver and one in gold alloy KK