frame
After the old forum software breaking in a way that we were unable to fix, we've migrated the site to a new platform.

Some elements aren't working as we'd hoped - some avatars didn't survive the transition, and we're still having issues with attachments that weren't added as inline images, but we're hoping to have that all sorted out soon.

New home barista training video

edited January 1970 in K_Bean_Coffee
Hi guys,

I just posted a new home barista training video on my “training” page.

Please take a look and let me know what you think.

www.kbean.com.au/training/

Cheers :)
Paul

Comments

• on 1531377129:
    Hi guys, I just posted a new home barista training video on my “training” page. Please take a look and let me know what you think. www.kbean.com.au/training/ Cheers :) Paul
    Just watched it, awesome Paul! Looks great, it's clear, great camera angles to see what you're doing, instructions are straightforward, and it's simple enough for anyone new to espresso. Good stuff! Pretty similar to my routine too! Distribution tool and all! Hey how deep do you set yours out of curiosity? Have heard a few say that they got better results when it had a slight tamping effect, but not too much. I'm still playing around with mine and not too sure, but it seems to be more consistent when it slightly tamps, but allows 2-3mm of compression.
  • Thanks heaps Simon. Glad you liked it. Re the distribution tool, I set it to the point where it evens out the grind flat without and “tamping” effect. Hope that helps :) Paul
  • on 1531382152:
    Thanks heaps Simon. Glad you liked it. Re the distribution tool, I set it to the point where it evens out the grind flat without and “tamping” effect. Hope that helps :) Paul
    Ah cool, cheers mate :)
  • on 1531377129:
    Hi guys, I just posted a new home barista training video on my “training” page. Please take a look and let me know what you think. www.kbean.com.au/training/ Cheers :) Paul
    Well made video. Simple, clear, easy to understand and not unnecessarily long or complex. Just one question- if you encourage people to weigh their dose why not their yield? It seems strange to be so specific with one variable then so vague with the directly related following variable. I realise you possibly don’t want to put people off with an overly complex process, and want to keep it as simple as possible. Maybe you could suggest that everything is weighed and timed the first couple of times they open a new bag of coffee, then once they’re happy with the results they can just extract to the predetermined time and only go back to weighing the yield if something changes. ‘Blonding’ point is just so subjective I never use it or recommend it and it’s affected by so many different things that it’ll be different for everyone.
  • I think Paul's preliminary explanation then the How-To Video pretty well hits the mark for its intended audience. I guess it could be titled along the lines of a Basic Tutorial and followed up with a more in depth one later on for all the coffee geeks out there who want to pretend to be scientific about it all. This one gets my vote...  8) Mal.
  • on 1531568945:
    I think Paul's preliminary explanation then the How-To Video pretty well hits the mark for its intended audience. I guess it could be titled along the lines of a Basic Tutorial and followed up with a more in depth one later on for all the coffee geeks out there who want to pretend to be scientific about it all. This one gets my vote...  8) Mal.
    That’s a good idea Mal. Call it ‘Getting Started’ or something then have one or two optional follow ups that have more depth and detail.
  • Nice video But am I a bad boy for not using scales KK
  • Great video and good looking shot too.  Nice one mate!
  • on 1531611321:
    Nice video But am I a bad boy for not using scales KK
    Ha! You’re not a bad boy KK. I’m just a little obsessive about accuracy. I hope you’re using a distribution tool. If you’re not then you really are bad ;)
  • on 1531616848:
    Great video and good looking shot too.  Nice one mate!
    Thanks Brett. This one replaced my last video which was shot in one take from an I Phone. The editing here with all the close ups helps I reckon. Cheers :) Paul