Thank god, it's smelly stuff! The paint I used is hammerite http://www.hammerite.com.au/
which my Dad swears by. He's lives in the UK and you can imagine how rusty stuff gets over there! All I did was scrap off the loose paint and rust, then roughly sanded the whole thing with 80 grit to help the paint stick to the existing paintwork. It needed 2 coats, recoat in 4 hours but the second coat was really to just cover some patches. Easy paint to use. I would have preferred the hammered finish but there was none in stock, but it has a great look, and hides imperfections much better.
The back looks much better, and I put the vents around the right way, rather than upside down like the previous owner! lol.
The future.... just a little sketch I did to visualise it better. I originally thought of putting the cooler fan inside hidden under a panel on the top, but I think the space would be better utilised with a drawer, so that I can store bits and bobs, and my pizza paddle, and BBQ tools. I'll build a box and make a cooler than can be stored underneath instead. Might be easier to clean out too. This will be my roasting trolley but also to put next to my pizza oven to lift pizza's on to, and to prepare toppings etc.
I'm just going to use plywood for the sides and drawer, and probably a thicker 19mm plywood top. Trying to keep costs down a bit. It will be outside, but undercover and out of the rain so hopefully plywood will cut it. Getting rather into this project now that it's painted, so hopefully progress will be made. Still haven't got my head around the sides and back, the posts are quite thick, but the drawer will need to be fitted to the inside, leaving a big gap. Ummm. I was thinking of maybe boxing it in then fitting runners to the inside and fitting the drawer.