frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register
After the old forum software breaking in a way that we were unable to fix, we've migrated the site to a new platform.

Some elements aren't working as we'd hoped - some avatars didn't survive the transition, and we're still having issues with attachments that weren't added as inline images, but we're hoping to have that all sorted out soon.

heating milk (Help)

edited January 1970 in Have your say
We just got our machine installed in our home, its a 3 group LaMarzocco and a BNZ grinder. Its awesome!

I need your advise, when I make a coffee lets say a latte. I find the milk produces the smallest smallest air dots after sitting for about a minute. How do I stop this from happening?

Benny

Comments

• Drink it !   ;D , Isn't it just the air escaping naturally, leave it long enough and the foam will dissipate.
  • Hi there - have to say, I can't believe you don't know almost everything about espresso if you've just bought a 3 group La Marzocco - have you seriously bought this for your home? You must do some serious entertaining - isn't a 3-group LaM around $15K?? Well, anyway, I guess i'm impressed....
  • Hey its great! We have it only for 6 months as we are opening a cafe in Wollongong... Thanks
  • Try building the whirlpool motion in the milk jug straight away, and then maintain this motion until the jug is too hot to hold. Then try tapping the jug gently on the bench-top a couple of times to burst any remaining bubbles. And if you keep nudging the jug, like swirling a glass of wine, every now and then until you are ready to pour, this should help to build microfoam. Also, what kind of milk are you using? As some are better than others. Cheers and congratulations on your fine purchase! Pat
  • Thanks. I was using famers best and it was ok then I got a light farmers best and it wasn't the best. What milk would you use? Full cream: Light: Soy: Icecream for affogoto: cheers Benny
  • I have to tell you that farmers ain't great milk for coffee and neither is Pauls for that matter! Sungold is supposed to be very good, and we use Procal at my work, which has been specifically made to use when making coffee I guess the best thing to do is to experiment with some different types of milk and see what works best for you! CHEERS, PAT
  • My advise is to get some lessons. That equipment is a serious statement, it says you're not afraid of spending money on equipment because you plan on serving great coffee. I have a great instructional dvd here http://shop.coffeeroastery.com.au/store/viewItem.shop?idProduct=56 or look into advanced training in your area. Out of curiosity, who are you using for your coffee supplier?
  • I agree - Pauls & Farmers milk are both unreliable for making a good foam.  I'm still looking for one that will work every time.  The bubbling effect you talk about is what my mum loves to put on her cappuccinos (in spite of my constant protests) which is what we call "roadhouse froth" - she gets it by allowing too much air into the milk when she froths (stretches) the milk.  To avoid getting this big fluffy foam (as opposed to the preferred smooth silky foam) don't let the end of the nozzle come above the top of the milk while you are frothing it, keep it just under the surface while you hear the milk stretch, then lower it to heat the base of the milk, and remember it's not a milkshake so no need to shake it up and down either.  A good cappucino is only rounded slightly above the rim of the cup - not like my dear mum's froth towers!! lol ;D
  • Wow i wish i had a 3group & bnz in my kitchen! despite the fact that it would in fact take up half the bench... as mentioned above, to get good milk you will need to do a few things 1) do some advanced training 2) use a good milk! i use riverina, seems to be the milk of choice at comps too Good luck!!
  • mmm la marzocco!!  I've found with LM's you get the best milk by literally not trying to get a lot of 'froth' if you keep the steam wand in around the same position, just under the surface of the milk, it should be fabulous.  They're such easy machines to use, and consistent, it's a matter of finding that sweet spot and letting it flow by itself...a La Marzocca should hardly make a sound when heating milk! i can't believe you have one in your home, i thought i was lucky having one in my cafe just downstairs.
  • I highly recommend using certified organic milk for steaming (both full cream & skim)- excellent microfoam, and it tastes REAL.  The creaminess complements a great bean beautifully without overwhelming the espresso flavours.  I use Barambah Organics up here in Brissy, but I believe there's a distributor in Sydney.  Sure it's more expensive than the watery stuff you get elsewhere, but I have converted numerous customers who have me order it in for them to use at home.  I also think there's some health store in Bondi who stock it.  Do some research, and give it a go.  I'm sure there's other local organic suppliers to you anyway.  Only negative comment is that it's easy to overstretch the skim.
  • THE BEST soy milk for coffee has to be Bonsoy - organic Japanese soy milk used in the best cafes and sold only at premium grocers and health food stores. Most soy milks are watery and don't steam well, they don't often turn out creamy unless you are a soy steaming expert (most people aren't cos they hate soy like baristas hate decaf so they don't bother dosing correctly). Bonsoy is great cos the texture is fab and creamy, if you're making a mocha or hot choc 99% of people can't tell the difference between that and full cream milk, and it really does taste great. Most soys override the coffee experience, but this one lets the coffee shine. Never, ever, ever, ever use Vitasoy!!! YUCK!