frame
After the old forum software breaking in a way that we were unable to fix, we've migrated the site to a new platform.

Some elements aren't working as we'd hoped - some avatars didn't survive the transition, and we're still having issues with attachments that weren't added as inline images, but we're hoping to have that all sorted out soon.

Pesado 58.5 and basket - any feedback?

edited June 2015 in Accessories
Pesado 58.5mm tamper and a matching basket in collaboration with IMS.

So these are relatively new items to the market from a shop in Melb. The tamper is locally made in Melb

Has anyone used these? and if so any feedback.

I'm looking to change my tamper and this one has caught my eye. Price point - nearly up there with the Pullman.

dolo_tampers.jpg

Comments

• They look nice.  Please don't forget that a tamper at its very best is the metal thingy that preses down the coffee.  It's not rocket-science despite the price tags of some.  It you like the feel buy it!  You may convince the rest of us we need one ;)
  • on 1433149915:
    They look nice.  Please don't forget that a tamper at its very best is the metal thingy that preses down the coffee.  It's not rocket-science despite the price tags of some.  It you like the feel buy it!  You may convince the rest of us we need one ;)
    i wouldn't mind making one myself. I've got a buddy that works in a metal shop. Maybe one day I'll draw up a model in autocad and get it CNC machined.
  • I posted this many moons ago on another forum and stand by what I said. On the other hand if you want and can afford a new tamper, go for it. :) The gap between the handle and base on tampers shown seems quite large and may well collect coffee grounds, think I prefer the Pullman or Reg Barber. http://www.coffeetamper.com/store/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=7 "I get a little annoyed with self proclaimed experts and retailers trying to tout their products telling me (and anyone else gullible enough to listen) that if I don’t use a tamper that fits the basket like a piston in an engine and if it doesn't have an ergonomic, height adjustable handle my coffee is gonna taste like crap and I will be doomed to a life of coffee mediocrity. It’s scare tactics and rubbish, they know it but ignorance breeds fear, if you’re a novice, or, if you don’t know and ask questions, the sermons begin, what’s happening of course is these snake oil salesmen are simply drumming up business, you can almost hear em rubbing their hands together. Tamp your coffee with a pickle jar lid attached to a 100mm length of broom handle if ya want, it’ll work just fine. As a matter of interest I bought a very nice 58 mm Reg Barber tamper 12 years ago, it ain’t a perfect fit in the baskets of any of the 3 machines I have owned over the period but it has done an excellent job on each and every one. A 1mm gap is nothing, centre the tamper in the basket and it becomes .50mm, which is absolutely bugger all."
  • on 1433155482:
    I posted this many moons ago on another forum and stand by what I said. On the other hand if you want and can afford a new tamper, go for it. :) The gap between the handle on tampers shown seems quite large and may well collect coffee grounds, think I prefer the Pullman or Reg Barber. http://www.coffeetamper.com/store/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=7 "I get a little annoyed with self proclaimed experts and retailers trying to tout their products telling me (and anyone else gullible enough to listen) that if I don’t use a tamper that fits the basket like a piston in an engine and if it doesn't have an ergonomic, height adjustable handle my coffee is gonna taste like crap and I will be doomed to a life of coffee mediocrity. It’s scare tactics and rubbish, they know it but ignorance breeds fear, if you’re a novice, or, if you don’t know and ask questions, the sermons begin, what’s happening of course is these snake oil salesmen are simply drumming up business, you can almost hear em rubbing their hands together. Tamp your coffee with a pickle jar lid attached to a 100mm length of broom handle if ya want, it’ll work just fine. As a matter of interest I bought a very nice 58 mm Reg Barber tamper 12 years ago, it ain’t a perfect fit in the baskets of any of the 3 machines I have owned over the period but it has done an excellent job on each and every one. A 1mm gap is nothing, centre the tamper in the basket and it becomes .50mm, which is absolutely bugger all."
    Good points DB, I'm always curious regarding new products but sceptical at the same time. Im leaning towards making my own CNC machined tamper some day just so its unique, and quite possibly, a custom CNC machined single dose hopper.
  • on 1433160265:
    Good points DB, I'm always curious regarding new products but sceptical at the same time. Im leaning towards making my own CNC machined tamper some day just so its unique, and quite possibly, a custom CNC machined single dose hopper.
    Sounds like a good project GK, always nice to have something functional, attractive and unique. :thumb: