frame
After the old forum software breaking in a way that we were unable to fix, we've migrated the site to a new platform.

Some elements aren't working as we'd hoped - some avatars didn't survive the transition, and we're still having issues with attachments that weren't added as inline images, but we're hoping to have that all sorted out soon.

MICE :: Melbourne 2019

edited January 1970 in Social
Hi guys, the Melbourne International Coffee Expo (MICE) is the largest dedicated coffee show in the Southern Hemisphere. MICE launched in 2012 with the purpose of bringing the global coffee community together and showcasing Australia’s contribution. In 2018, MICE welcomed more than 120 exhibitors, featuring the latest in espresso equipment, coffee brewing devices, exotic and expensive coffee beans, roasting equipment, and more. In 2019, MICE will be held at the Melbourne Convention and Exhibition Centre from from 7 to 9 February.

Decided to put this in the 'Social' board in case a group of you want to take the opportunity to use it as a 'meet up' point in Melb!

A

Comments

• Hooooopefully will try to make it but not 100% sure I can this year. Will be a good one though!
  • Hi Simon, I can't make it this year unfortunately, although yes it's usually a good event and also a good way for members to meet up in person; feel free to use this board as a record of experiences/pics!
  • I will be there Simon et al. Probably on the Thu though (trade day). It's always great. My tip - bring along a spit cup so you can taste and taste without getting the jitters. Cheers, Paul
  • on 1548046379:
    I will be there Simon et al. Probably on the Thu though (trade day). It's always great. My tip - bring along a spit cup so you can taste and taste without getting the jitters. Cheers, Paul
    That is an EXCELLENT idea.... I always make the error of drinking far too much :s
  • Hey guys, MICE have sent thru the agenda for the days' events: Thursday 7 February Main Stage 8:30am – 4:30pm: Australian Barista Championship Open Heats                               Australian Brewers Cup Open Heats Roasting Zone 9am – 1pm:      Lab competition and roaster practice for the Australian Roasting Championship 2pm – 4:30pm: Lab competition and sample roast Friday 8 February Main Stage 9am – 12:30pm: Australian Vitasoy Barista Championship Semi-Finals 1pm – 4:30pm:  Australian Pauls Professional Latte Art Championship Open                                        Heats 4pm – 5:30pm:  Australian TCX Cup Tasting Championship Open Heats 5:30pm:              Australian Vitasoy Barista Championship, Australian Brewers Cup, and Australian Pauls Professional Latte Art Championship                                  finalist announcements Roasting Zone 8am – 9am:      Australian AMC Roasting Championship Open Cupping 9:30am – 5pm: Single Origin and Blend Roasting Competition as part of Australian                            AMC Roasting Championship Saturday 9 February Main Stage 8:45am – 3pm:      Australian Barista Championship Finals                               Australian Professional Latte Art Championship Finals                               Australian Brewers Cup Open Service Finals                               (Competitions will be run concurrently, one Barista competitor, then one Latte Art competitor, then one Brewers Cup competitor.) 3:30pm – 4:30pm: Australian Cup Tasting Finals 4:30pm – 5pm:      MICE2019 Barista Big Bash 5pm:                    Australian Coffee Championships winner announcements Roasting Zone 10am – 11:30am: Australian Roasting Championship Single Origin Cupping 12pm – 1:30pm:  Australian Roasting Championship Blend Cupping 2pm – 3:30pm:    Australian Roasting Championship Open Cupping For more information visit www.internationalcoffeeexpo.com
  • Really wish I had 3 days to spare... Always a great event. 
  • i hope whoever goes takes heaps of pictures and keeps us posted! P
  • on 1548666820:
    i hope whoever goes takes heaps of pictures and keeps us posted! P
    Hi guys, MICE starts tomorrow - remember to feel free to use this thread to post thoughts/impressions and of course, pics!
  • Yyyyyes, plans line up so I'll be going Saturday, just got my tickets! I'll try to post what tidbits I can! It's at a new venue too this year, that will be really interesting! I got so used to the layout all these years at the Melb Showgrounds pavillion so I'll totally get lost here haha. Am very excited about all the exhibitors, will definitely check out Ona, Coffee Cartel, Axil cupping session, even Profitec I think are there. I heard they had to cancel/postpone the roasting championships due to safety concerns :s
  • on 1548478148:
    Really wish I had 3 days to spare... Always a great event.
    Paul when it was on both Saturday and Sunday for the public I used to go to both days. I seriously don't know how I did it haha, sooo much coffee...
  • on 1549446186:
    Paul when it was on both Saturday and Sunday for the public I used to go to both days. I seriously don't know how I did it haha, sooo much coffee...
    Very cool Simon. After my first MICE I didn’t get to sleep until 3am! I’ll never forget that one!
  • on 1549525757:
    Very cool Simon. After my first MICE I didn’t get to sleep until 3am! I’ll never forget that one!
    Hahaha ahhhh I feel ya.. it's just so hard not to taste all the samples being offered :s
  • ‘‘Twas amazing. Bigger and better than previous years. Here are just a few pics: 7621193927d0db4a9c684bef8f20836b.jpg 2a3adf59a367e8a019b8b5b9be4b627c.jpg 6e83276354de84e83645caaaa93d1303.jpg
  • Awwwesome, looks great, can't wait for tomorrow!
  • on 1549620356:
    ‘‘Twas amazing. Bigger and better than previous years.
    thanks Paul - wish I could be there; look forward to your pics from tomorrow Simon! A
  • Wowza, what an event! It was huge, bigger than before, and the venue was awesome. At the Melb Exhibiton Centre, they made good use of all the space! So many highlights, and didn't get to check out everything, but many (many many MANY) samples to be had, some were stunning, some I was not overly impressed with, but all in all some really great coffees being produced. Particularly enjoyed the Five Senses stand, where you could choose which journeys to go on. They took you through a particular coffee in Tanzania with three different brews to try, from when it was first processed and their early methods, and each one since, each getting better and better, and you could certainly tell in that last cup which had so much more clarity even being a natural processed. Next was a coffee made with three different water compositions, I didn't do this one. The third journey was three different espressos brewed using the same coffee, but different methods. First was a standard, normal espresso shot pulled at 9 bars. The next was a shot pulled at about a 1 degree difference. And the last was with pre-infusion introduced. I'd never sat down and had them all side by side like so that was incredibly eye opening, the last coffee with preinfusion was unreal, such sweetness and body. I didn't get to watch any of the comp unfortunately, but awesome to hear that Matt Lewin won the Aus Barista Championship! It was really cool to hear, as I know he's been competing for many years, climbing higher and higher and never quite cracking the first place, so stoked for him. I remember him bringing in bags of Axil coffee for us at a cafe I once worked at hehe, nice guy. Saw John there at the Decent Espresso stand and said g'day and had a shot from the Decent. The filter brews at Zest were unreal, just delicious. Some incredible machines and grinders on display, spent a little time chatting with the guys at the Slingshot grinder.... wow. It looks incredible, and doses into the basket perfectly distributed and ready to tamp. Not to mention a timer that tells how long the ready-to-dose grounds have been sitting in there. Strangely, even though I'd planned to use the spit cup and not consume as much, I didn't do that, drank a fair few but didn't have any of the horrendous aftereffects which was awesome! No headache, heart palpitations, nausea or stomach pain like last year haha, not even really buzzed, I felt tired from a big day more than anything else! And amazing news that Melbourne is going to hold the World Barista Championships at MICE next year, massive! I remember watching it many years ago when it was in Melbourne, a privilege to have it back. A really great event, just so great to connect with others, learn, taste and experience, highly recommended :) Pics below
  • thanks so much Simon, just great to get such a comprehensive update, for those of us who couldn't make it!
  • Also, the bag they gave to everyone with free goodies when you enter the expo had 2 litres of almond milk. My mum and dad both don't like almond milk, so they gave theirs to us, so we ended up with 8 litres of almond milk XD. It's actually really delicious!!!