frame
After the old forum software breaking in a way that we were unable to fix, we've migrated the site to a new platform.

Some elements aren't working as we'd hoped - some avatars didn't survive the transition, and we're still having issues with attachments that weren't added as inline images, but we're hoping to have that all sorted out soon.

Storing Beans with parchment on

edited January 1970 in Green Beans
I've been reading about green beans lasting longer with the parchment still on.  It's referenced here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coffee_bean_storage

I was just wondering how much longer it would increase their storage potential?  I've had a tin of home grown stuff lying around for a about a year with the parchment on, and it doesn't seem to have affected them one bit.

Comments

• " a tin of home grown stuff". Raises many questions. Our last years crop (picked mid year) roasted weirdly when we pulled it off the drying racks, but then started roasting it again 6 months later, and it roasted evenly and gave a delicious cuppa. SO.... like you, we hold our green' with parchment on, and then hull them just before roast, but not in a tin. Do you mean sealed .. with lid on? Ours breath in an open container.

• Ditto re hulling home-grown just prior to roasting. They appear to retain their colour better that way for a start. I keep in cotton bags.

• To preserve your beans' fresh roasted flavor as long as possible, store them in an opaque, air-tight container at room temperature. Coffee beans can be beautiful, but avoid clear canisters which will allow light to compromise the taste of your coffee. Keep your beans in a dark and cool location.