frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

After the old forum software breaking in a way that we were unable to fix, we've migrated the site to a new platform.

Some elements aren't working as we'd hoped - some avatars didn't survive the transition, and we're still having issues with attachments that weren't added as inline images, but we're hoping to have that all sorted out soon.

Naked or Not?

So I PIF'd my naked PF from my em6910 as I am expecting a new machine this week, the recipient was quick to return the favor by way of an Aeropress so it's more like a trade- I am happy with the deal that's been done  :) but...

I boxed it up and posted it out yesterday. I have now made a dozen coffees with the stock PF and I am really surprised (read "let down") by the difference in the pour and in the cup. With the naked PF, it seemed near impossible for me to get any blonding and in the cup I had oh so much body. Now that I have gone back to the stock PF, each of my shots blonded fairly quickly forcing me to stop the pours earlier than I normally would have and the body is... hmmm.... lacking? It's not as sweet, has less creamy mouth feel and has left me quite dissapointed.  :-[

The thing is I bought the naked PF to expose any problems with my dose/distribution/tamp and it did expose a few which I worked to correct but I didn't realise the massive difference it would make to the end result in the cup. I'm still using the Synesso basket and doing everything else the same as I did with the naked.

Has anyone else used a naked PF for some time and then gone back to a standard one and found a similar result? Could it be that I have changed my tamp without realising it or does a naked PF really make that big a difference?  I realise everyones taste is different, what is your preference?

Comments

• I could always taste the difference and I sure do miss the double ristretto lattes from a naked handle. Lucky for me my lusso has 2 groups, so I was considering making one a nakid, and leaving the other stock. :) Not sure where you are Muscles but AM could do a nakid for ya, just find a spare handle lying around. PS.  What's the new machine?
  • Yes, naked with a nice deep basket is the only way to go.  I changed, went back and now stuck with naked. The only minor point I found is the aftermarket naked's are not the best quality and have much less mass than the standard handles therefore don't hold the heat as well, or for as long. Notwithstanding I reckon it produces a far nicer tasting (and looking) shot.
  • I knocked up a naked a couple of months ago for fun and have been using it exclusively for the last month I guess playing with the VST/Synesso baskets. Messier all round is the major problem apart from that a touch more crema and the main benefit of being able to check how the pour is going at a glance. Flavour wise I think I would go back to spouted for commercial for tidiness even with triples or 22g baskets as my PF will handle them. For home or casual use it's not really as much of a problem and I like to watch  8)
  • I don't know if I could honestly say if I can taste the difference but I use a naked PF exclusively unless I have to make to singles in cups for guests wanting a cup-of-cino.  My shot of choice tends to er on the shorter side anyway so less contact with anything prior to hitting a warmed glass is my natural preference.  Like many here I like the theatre of a naked porta filter and it certainly keeps you on your toes dose/tamp/grind wise.  Forget third party pf's, get your second pf or a second hand one from a sponsor, get a hole-saw (or an AM) and go to town.  My nakedising of my PF was rough but dead easy and I couldn't be without it! 
  • on 1314071817:
    I don't know if I could honestly say if I can taste the difference but I use a naked PF exclusively unless I have to make to singles in cups for guests wanting a cup-of-cino.  My shot of choice tends to er on the shorter side anyway so less contact with anything prior to hitting a warmed glass is my natural preference.  Like many here I like the theatre of a naked porta filter and it certainly keeps you on your toes dose/tamp/grind wise.   Forget third party pf's, get your second pf or a second hand one from a sponsor, get a hole-saw (or an AM) and go to town.  My nakedising of my PF was rough but dead easy and I couldn't be without it!  
    I think the difference taste wise for me was also the fact I could use a triple in the nakid. :)  Happy days.  Pity no one makes a Lusso triple eh! :(  The lusso spouts are pretty useless anyway. AM's nakid that he did for my San Marino was fantastic.  A lovely neat and tidy job. Totally agree with the messy bit, but it is fun watching it all happening.  Just don't get it in your eye!  ;D
  • on 1314064274:
    PS.  What's the new machine?
    Dare I say it.... the BDB. It just makes so much sense to me to go with this machine as my step up from the EM6901. I guess I'll wait until I can find a 2nd spare PF and then pay to have it modified. Might see if I can get a wooden handle to match my checkerboard pullman tamper while I'm at it. I am still amazed (after two more coffees today) at the difference a naked PF can make. Maybe in a week or two I will have forgotten all about it but I doubt it...
  • I unfortunately didn't win the second hand normal one on ebay I was trying for, have to try again if another one comes up, they sure are popular :) It is what I was thinking AM, that a normal portafilter made for the EM6910 would be better than a reproduction made naked.
  • That's ok AM, keep yours, I'm sure I'll turn one up somewhere :)
  • I like to use a naked portafilter as a diagnostic tool mainly. Great for seeing real problems in your extraction. Not my favourite way to extract espresso on a daily basis though. I tend to find the shots are big, fluffy and all crema. I'm not anti crema, but I like balance and actual liquid in my cup and don't really think you get that with shots from a naked portafilter. Most of all, it means you can only make one drink at a time, that's a HUGE pain!
  • I have never used a naked group handle I suppose I can get one made as I need the commercial lug type Seen many on E61 groups but I not even sure if they work as well on commercial group machines KK
  • Hey everyone (esp Muscles!). Here's one of my first efforts with the naked PF...not convinced it changes the flavour compared to a normal PF but that is more than likely my palette! 
  • Nice work tango and welcome to the forum! My only complaint with a naked of is that without the spouts to collapse the crema, the crema can be quite bubbly - which can be overcome by nudging the glass to break the surface tension, or by tapping a takeaway  cup on the bench And whilst they do have their place I still prefer an espresso from a normal handle But that's just me ... ACg
  • on 1314624809:
    Hey everyone (esp Muscles!). Here's one of my first efforts with the naked PF...not convinced it changes the flavour compared to a normal PF but that is more than likely my palette! 
    Good job capturing that shot Trev, it is very clear at it's full size... Looks like you took it right at the beginning of the extraction, have you taken any further in? For the first few weeks with it, I couldn't help but crouch down so I could watch the pour to look for any dosing/distribution probs and copped the odd squirter in the eye so be prepared if you decide to do the same ;)
  • I got caught up in the naked PF hype about 12 months ago, had a spare Rancilio PF that I took round to the local engineering WS and they milled the bottom out for me, they did a great job, I used it for about a week, before I decided it was not for me, as Muscles commented, you get the odd squirter which makes a bloody mess, to me the coffee was no better or worse than the standard PF. So the naked has found its way into the junk drawer and I doubt it will ever see the light of day again. ;)
  • on 1314928896:
    I got caught up in the naked PF hype about 12 months ago, had a spare Rancilio PF that I took round to the local engineering WS and they milled the bottom out for me, they did a great job, I used it for about a week, before I decided it was not for me, as Muscles commented, you get the odd squirter which makes a bloody mess, to me the coffee was no better or worse than the standard PF. So the naked has found its way into the junk drawer and I doubt it will ever see the light of day again. ;)
    Does it fit an e61?  I bet you could recoup some of your losses by listing it in the FS area or if you are feeling generous, list it in the What's Mine is Yours section.  I for one love being nak.... never mind!
  • Today I purchased a genuine Bezzera Naked group handle / portafilter from sponsor Barazi I haven't used it yet as I was to excited, and wanted to share  ;D They come for commercial type (as my machine is) and for E61 type group heads Photos attached KK
  • Oo la la, I love the huge box it comes in :)
  • Looks great KK!  Will it fit your prospective lever purchase?
  • on 1314940248:
    Looks great KK!  Will it fit your prospective lever purchase?
    No as it has a different profile The Strega has an extra ridge so it can fit deeper into the lever head Photo is of the Strega PF 7297_img_5146__small_.jpg KK
  • So I gave the nakid PF a go two times  It just confirmed that I am doing everything right KK
  • on 1314938136:
    Does it fit an e61?  I bet you could recoup some of your losses by listing it in the FS area or if you are feeling generous, list it in the What's Mine is Yours section.  I for one love being nak.... never mind!
    Fits the Bezzera just fine, thought about selling it Brett, sadly I'm a bit of a bower bird, once I own something I need a pretty good reason to sell it, not using it is not a good enough reason. ::)
  • on 1314949277:
    Fits the Bezzera just fine, thought about selling it Brett, sadly I'm a bit of a bower bird, once I own something I need a pretty good reason to sell it, not using it is not a good enough reason. ::)
    I can relate to that. I have a Rocky on my bench that wouldn't have seen 5kg in the 18 months I've owned it.  It was a compulsive purchase from Merlos in the Valley for decaf.  I mostly have just redialed the big grinder for decaf but I just can't be bothered moving the Rocky on.  They really are worth more than their asking price IMHO.  What a tank!  Now back OT: KK, I love the naked for the look of the shot and the huge Crema as opposed to a diagnostic tool.  See how you go living with it; but if you are like me and the aesthetics of the shot revealed is seamingly great theatre, you wont want to retire it. Conversely DB, I have on occasion gone back to the spouts for a change. Nice to have both options!
  • Have camera - check Have Nakid PF - check Below is photo shot of a pour using my new Bezzera PF Only use the Nakid PF with a single basket for when one person wants a coffee KK
  • What did the nekkid set you back, KK. That's a fancy bit of gear, and a lovely pour.
  • on 1316165375:
    What did the nekkid set you back, KK. That's a fancy bit of gear, and a lovely pour.
    Its a genuine Bezzera one from Italy Cant remember if it was $89 or $99 because Chris let me take it home to see if it was OK for the Group head I went back to pay for it a couple of days later and then also walked out with a new steam arm as well KK
  • i want one for my BZ35 .. just for my coffee with my roasts would be nice even without the handle maybe and i can make a custom handle
  • on 1316221774:
    i want one for my BZ35 .. just for my coffee with my roasts would be nice even without the handle maybe and i can make a custom handle
    Just contact sponsor Barazi Bezzera I visit them often because they sell the KKTO I was surprised that they had some and only inquired about naked PF's  because of this thread KK
  • on 1316223488:
    Just contact sponsor Barazi Bezzera I visit them often because they sell the KKTO I was surprised that they had some and only inquired about naked PF's  because of this thread KK
    i ring chris every week anyway , might have to add to my next order.
  • I used to go naked  ;D but after a while I went back to dual spouts - initially because i often needed to make a coffee for two people at the same time... however not sure if I would got back to naked for the times that I'm only making a shot for myself... in theory there's no reason why not, to be honest, I guess it's just that I can't be bothered!! dR :o
  • I love the fact that I can easily wash the bottom of the filter basket to clean it between shots, without having o take it out.  This is especially iortant o me if I go away from the machine and come back a couple of hours later.  No stale burnt on coffee scum taint for me... Or as I call it: the Starbucks Feature.