frame
After the old forum software breaking in a way that we were unable to fix, we've migrated the site to a new platform.

Some elements aren't working as we'd hoped - some avatars didn't survive the transition, and we're still having issues with attachments that weren't added as inline images, but we're hoping to have that all sorted out soon.

celebrate the bean

Well... I wont say that the Celebrate the Bean festival held today in Melbourne was a complete fiasco - far from it - from a promoter's point of view it was an outstanding success!

I'm not sure if there was a numbers count, but crowd size was significantly up on last year, and the new setting in the dramatic Docklands is a fitting canvas to showcase the best of what Melbourne has to offer: A fantastic outdoor setting right on the water, with brilliant weather, and plenty of al fresco dining.

If anything it was a little too successful if you will pardon me from mentioning the 'S' word in such shallow terms.

Crowd numbers were enormous and there was no shade to be had anywhere, except in the promotional marques themselves - which were tiny and always full, or else in the bevy of restaurants and cafes that adorn the waterfront, and these appeared to be universally empty.

Note to festival organizers:

Comments

• Yeh! rather average I must say. Would have liked to see some small local boutique roasters turn up rather than all that Coffex, Sunbeam, Gaggia and Fair Trade junk. Home coffee machines suck big time. Tobeys Estate made the best coffees. Must be the only good thing in Sydney.  :P ;)
  • Five senses looked like they were doing a good trade, but after all that I didn't even have a coffee - as I already had two double espresso at home in the morning, and I didn't feel like drinking any more coffee in the searing heat!
  • for goodness sake, if they are going to bust their chops up there - then at least offer them a decent prize!
  • To me the whole thing looked staged, tired and uninspiring. Why just sell coffee as if it's just a cafe. None spoke passionately about their brand, just wanted to flog off coffee. . Toby's Estate outranked Five Senses I reckon in coffee presentation, it is a wonder they haven't pushed into Melbourne as yet. They should have used the event to educate coffee drinkers. I would have given the public ago at stepping behind the machine and pmping out some order, especially the baking type who are such experts. They may be more appreciative of what they do get.
  • tobys begin roasting in melb in the next week or so...