frame
After the old forum software breaking in a way that we were unable to fix, we've migrated the site to a new platform.

Some elements aren't working as we'd hoped - some avatars didn't survive the transition, and we're still having issues with attachments that weren't added as inline images, but we're hoping to have that all sorted out soon.

Empty Shell To Cafe?

Hey guys ive scoped out this place with a pretty good location and a rent of perhaps $700 a week. It has seasonal trade but the off season isnt too bad and the on season is terrifyingly busy  ;D

Plenty of competition, but no big names around within kooee and only one place that has a reputation for half decent takeaway coffee and it gets HAMMERED.

Im thinking of a coffee bar-sandwiches-juice takeaway sort of getup. Its on the beach and the beach has thousands on it in the summer. Its a plain empty shell at the moment, for a decent interior job and a damn good espresso setup, any ideas on what sort of figures im looking at for a setup?

Comments

• Hey guys ive scoped out this place with a pretty good location and a rent of perhaps $700 a week. It has seasonal trade but the off season isnt too bad and the on season is terrifyingly busy
  • Allot of well heeded warnings in there 2muchcoffeeman! The #1 important factor for me is to be able to turn a profit straightaway, the way to achieve this I believe is for having a reputation for the best coffee around, and working on volume. I think a $700 rent is quite cheap for down on the beach? god if I was doing $500 a day I could stay afloat easily, and I know that I can do that on my own. Let me explain some of the positives and negatives that i see: Negatives- Its 50m away from the main street, all the restaurants are there and people wander down that street when they go out to shop-buy groceries-buy dinner. I am not on this street and I think thats whats scaring allot of people out of this place in the first place. Its not that big. Im told a few people have already turned the place down because its not big enough to put a kitchen in. I dont want to put a kitchen in anyway. I suppose 12 people comfortably seated outside and 25 inside? Like I said, a focus on takeaway. Its a shell, large setup cost. Many many cafe's in town. However they all are essentially restaurants, and nobody does good coffee, only 1 place does decent coffee. Positives-- Ocean View! During the summer the population of the town swells from 10k to 100k. You cannot move in this town and every single establishment makes great money at this time, no matter how terrible they are. And most of them are terrible. There is a huge amount of accomodation surrounding the site. Its at the bottom of 25xmillion dollar apartments. There are 4 hotels within 100m, none have food or kitchens. There is a caravan park 200m away that is huge. Across the road are where the tourists busses park, every day, and drop of 30-40 tourists for snacks and drinks. Lyterally 10 steps away from my door. Across the road towards the beach there is a park, beyond the park is the beach. When it is hot I would estimate I would be the closest shop to 2000 people. There is nobody in town doing this sort of establishment. There is allot of money coming in almost every weekend. I already know exactly how to run the place in a profitable way.
  • i say figure out what your budget is, do as much of the work yourself as you can, skimp on fit-out initially if you must, but not on the coffee machine and grinder, have 'decent' quality take away coffee cups to show that you care about what goes in them, and be committed to the quality, presentation, and quality control of the coffees that you make - have some half-way decent music, and don't use crap milk if you have any other options, and you will already be ahead of the pack start small and grow organically, investing in better infrastructure as you go along, and see if you can factor in some outside seating cheers and good luck let us know if you decide to bite the bullet pat