frame
After the old forum software breaking in a way that we were unable to fix, we've migrated the site to a new platform.

Some elements aren't working as we'd hoped - some avatars didn't survive the transition, and we're still having issues with attachments that weren't added as inline images, but we're hoping to have that all sorted out soon.

Roaster and General Duties Opportunity

Around late June/July 2012, we will be looking for an enthusiastic person with a passion for coffee to join our small and dynamic team based in the outer eastern suburbs of Melbourne.

Like any small business, the role will require the wearing of "many hats" and the occasional "odd working hours" undertaking a mix of roles including learning and managing roasting operations along with other related tasks associated with the running of a specialty coffee company.

Make no mistake, the world of coffee roasting is no glamorous rock-star lifestyle - it's hard physical work and can involve working long and/or strange hours to get the job done.  Despite all the hard work, it can be truly fulfilling when people *love* your product/service.

Some days could have you stuck in the van for a couple of hours running a large urgent delivery, other days you may get to play with espresso gear and yet other days again where you need to move bags of coffee around in the storage racks or something even more horrid like using the packing machine for a few hours.

The right person will have a flexible attitude, a desire to delight customers, contribute to our teamwork and above all that important attention to detail.

We have some very exciting growth plans for the next 2 years and those wanting to jump on board will have plenty of opportunities made available within the business to enable your own personal growth objectives to be realized.

The purpose of listing this role on Crema is to open the position up to those that have a keen interest in coffee and contemplating how to or what to do next.

JC

Comments

• Does this person have to live close by the roastery .. with automated technology these days, couldn't I do all this from home (surely there's an iPhone app for the new roaster)  :rofl:  . I have a friend in the military who once flew drones, all done remotely from base, soon they won't even have to leave home. Fly missions from the other side of the world, then hit the beach after destroying a heroin lab and stuff.. .. ok ok .. too many variables .. 3rd crack would become a common roast profile.
  • Ha - I do operate my Geisen by remote workstation control when I am running between factory 2 and 4 at night. Alas, the roasters need to be constantly fed with green beans, blends need to be mixed by hand, jute bags need to be opened with a knife (the worst part, especially those flamin Ethiopians bags), pallets need to be moved around, roasted coffee bins need to be taken from destoner to degas area and about 100 other things need to happen before and after the event of roasting. In my next factory I will be investing in additional automation for greens and browns so that I can run it on an iPad.
  • Shame I don't live in Melb.  Brilliant opp for someone keen on coffee.
  • Yep, it's very hard work, but rewarding still the same. We are pretty muchin the zone of cutting edge in specialty coffee, playing with numerous CoE and microlot coffees and many others that are not listed on our site that we prepare for private label customers. So it's never boring or mundane. Quite a bit of our high-end specialty coffee is exported.
  • Thanks AM - I lived in the better state for 9 years and enjoyed my time at Tarragindi on the hill overlooking the city immensely - that was real quality of life stuff. It would be nice to have a presence in QLD - if anyone is interested in becoming an agent/Disti then let us know - that way the OH has a valid reason to spend more time at her dreamy Burleigh Heads locale.
  • on 1331530355:
    Thanks AM - I lived in the better state for 9 years and enjoyed my time at Tarragindi on the hill overlooking the city immensely - that was real quality of life stuff. It would be nice to have a presence in QLD - if anyone is interested in becoming an agent/Disti then let us know - that way the OH has a valid reason to spend more time at her dreamy Burleigh Heads locale.
    You must be kidding I lived in Tarragindi - its a great suburb KK
  • on 1331529572:
    Yep, it's very hard work, but rewarding still the same. We are pretty muchin the zone of cutting edge in specialty coffee, playing with numerous CoE and microlot coffees and many others that are not listed on our site that we prepare for private label customers. So it's never boring or mundane. Quite a bit of our high-end specialty coffee is exported.
    What an opportunity for an enthusiastic coffee nut :)  I love your idea Jeff, if the mindset is there (half the battle), then the training will be a breeze. Hmmm with my Bart Simpson voice over....... would be nice to access some of those specialty coffee to taste :)
  • on 1331531514:
    You must be kidding I lived in Tarragindi - its a great suburb KK
    Tennessee Ave with a wonderful park across the road and lush bush behind the house. Number 95 built into the side of the hill. I was into the cycling in those days and to climb the hills after a 2hr ride every day it was so painful - the rise would get steeper and steeper.......ouch.
  • Sounds like you have a kick ass operation happening MC and present a excellent opportunity for the lucky candidate. A real jack of all type job - gold. PS, tarrigindi, while nice and all, always give me a little shiver in bushfire season. Sister in laws house backed onto the bush and there is a lot of fuel there just waiting. And too many bloody hills  :D
  • on 1330507763:
    Around late June/July 2012, we will be looking for an enthusiastic person with a passion for coffee to join our small and dynamic team based in the outer eastern suburbs of Melbourne. Like any small business, the role will require the wearing of "many hats" and the occasional "odd working hours" undertaking a mix of roles including learning and managing roasting operations along with other related tasks associated with the running of a specialty coffee company. Make no mistake, the world of coffee roasting is no glamorous rock-star lifestyle - it's hard physical work and can involve working long and/or strange hours to get the job done.  Despite all the hard work, it can be truly fulfilling when people *love* your product/service. Some days could have you stuck in the van for a couple of hours running a large urgent delivery, other days you may get to play with espresso gear and yet other days again where you need to move bags of coffee around in the storage racks or something even more horrid like using the packing machine for a few hours. The right person will have a flexible attitude, a desire to delight customers, contribute to our teamwork and above all that important attention to detail. We have some very exciting growth plans for the next 2 years and those wanting to jump on board will have plenty of opportunities made available within the business to enable your own personal growth objectives to be realized. The purpose of listing this role on Crema is to open the position up to those that have a keen interest in coffee and contemplating how to or what to do next. JC
    Hello JC, Is it possible to contact you via a lesser public format so I can send you a little about coffee and I? Regards Simon
  • on 1331590066:
    Hello JC, Is it possible to contact you via a lesser public format so I can send you a little about coffee and I? Regards Simon
    Hi Simon My Cuppa is a sponsor and the contact details can be found here - http://www.bestcafes.com.au/forum/www-mycuppa-com-au/www-mycuppa-com-au/ Good luck KK