frame
After the old forum software breaking in a way that we were unable to fix, we've migrated the site to a new platform.

Some elements aren't working as we'd hoped - some avatars didn't survive the transition, and we're still having issues with attachments that weren't added as inline images, but we're hoping to have that all sorted out soon.

A Short (Coffee) Stint in Melbourne

ashash
edited January 1970 in Social
I was recently lucky enough to have a short work trip to Melbourne. After work was finished, I was able to spend a few hours walking around and sampling a few of Melbournes better known cafe's.

First up I went hunting for St. Ali. I managed to find it, in spite of phone GPS saying I was up to a kilometre away from wher I was (  :pan ). I found the house blend I had was a bit 'meh' as an espresso for my taste, but was exquisite as a piccolo latte. Very friendly staff, and nice and relaxed, in spite of the obvious busy-ness of the place. I ended up going back the next morning for breakfast and sampled their Colombian Yellow Boubon as an espresso - WOW! Simply delicious, just like my food.

After the morning meeting, I found Dead Man Espresso for lunch. Great food and beautiful espresso to match. Again I had a piccolo latte as well to go with my meal after an initial espresso. Both were very nice and the meal was quite delightful to boot.The difference in 300m between St Ali and Dead Man Espresso is wonderful. Both cafe's have a different feel, but both are equally fastidious about their coffee. Just a different feel in the cafes.

Next on my list of places was Naked Espresso Bar on Little Burke Street. Lever Espresso, what else can I say? Body, body , body and FLAVOUR! ( Yes, I am biased towards a lever...  :angel: ) Had a great chat with the young lady working the machine and really enjoyed my espresso.... mmmm ttaaassttyyy....(maybe someone with more coffee knowledge than me may give some insight, but a lever machine to my mind, does produce more body in the flavour/mouth than a pump machine)  I think they are using beans from Axil Coffee Roasters. Very nice coffee, with awesome body and a nice lingering aftertaste. Very happy (and caffienated) on leaving this place.

After there, I had a wander down to the Sensory Lab at the back of DJ's. I tried another Columbian Yellow Bourban and was surprised at the difference between what I had tasted previously. Both the espresso from Senesory Lab and St. Ali were superb, but finally being able to taste the difference between barista's/roasters (yes I know it was different stores and all) was something I wasn't anticipating. Another WOW moment for me.

Lastly I walked back up to Brother Baba Budan ( Had to have some palette rest after Naked Espresso and Sensory Lab). What a busy little cafe!!! ??? I had a Coloumbian SO again, and another great espresso! It was great to have the barista asking how my espresso was, especially in such a packed and busy space.

I know this wan't a comprehensive tour of Melbourne's coffee establishments, but it was all I was able to fit in in my time there. One thing I can say that was consistent across every establishment - great customer service, and great pride in each and every coffee that went out.

I'm really looking forward to having a further opportunity in the future to sample more of Melbourne's cafes (hopefully a few more lever's as well  ;D ), this little teaser for me was quite fun. Time to start saving up for a coffee holiday to Melbourne methinks  :angel:

Comments

• Great review on a great work trip with added benefits Family members just came back from a quick 5 day Melbourne holiday, and I got restaurant reviews from them So next time I join them on that trip, we can do both Food & Coffee KK
  • Sounds like a great work/coffee trip Ash, I'm heading over to Melbourne on May 3 for the Coffee Expo and Barista Championships etc, looking forward to checking out all of my favourite haunts while there, Market Lane, Auction Rooms, Proud Mary, League of Honest Coffee, Seven Seeds to name a few :thumb: :thumb:
  • Great review and some tasty coffees are hard to beat. Sensory lab and St Ali both use St Ali roasted beans and I think are both owned by the same guy. The best coffee I had was at a little place (now closed) owned by Tom & Shanney from Naked Espresso.
  • Yes both Sensory Lab and St Ali are owned by the same group and they are roasted on the same set of roasters.
  • Thanks guys. Unfortunately there wasn't enough time to get around to more places. If I get the chance to get back down, I'm definately doing some more exploring! It was an enjoyable way to spend my time, just relaxing and enjoying good coffee and Melbourne on a nice fine autumn afternoon.