frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register
After the old forum software breaking in a way that we were unable to fix, we've migrated the site to a new platform.

Some elements aren't working as we'd hoped - some avatars didn't survive the transition, and we're still having issues with attachments that weren't added as inline images, but we're hoping to have that all sorted out soon.

Custom handles and stuff

2»

Comments

• :rofl: :rofl: Carbon dildos. The ultimate in light weight, high impact, heat resistant............. :D
  • If Ol Grumpy & AM don't mind company I will come and car pool with Derellix and make it a day of learning KK
  • Who said I was going ? :rofl: :rofl: I have to drop over AM's Mylar coffee bags and the resin blank for him to play with at some stage
  • Hey, funny thing... I was suggesting Carbon side panels as a mod and I see Chris from Talk Coffee talking about carbon side panels being available as an 'option' on a new machine he is trialling... (CS thread) I dunno- maybe they've been available for ever as an option... I wouldn't know... I'm not that up with it.... Anyway, making your own will cost pennies compared to the prices they will most likely ask for exotic extras.... I'm into motorbikes (although I don't currently own one) and in the world of motorbikes, mods are called 'Farkles'... I like the word... So we would call KK's handles Timber Farkles... What do you think? PS feel free to shoot me down in flames... I can handle it OG
  • I am not sure how a discussion on "Custom handles and stuff" turns into a discussion of wood coatings and preservatives.  Not one photo of wooden handles and stuff... I have a cocobolo bean popper cap on the versalab, an aluminum bean popper cap on it and an oak cap on the Kony short Mini Mazzer hopper [ftp=ftp://mini4fun.info/Espresso_Gear/Espresso_Gear.html]http://mini4fun.info/Espresso_Gear/Espresso_Gear.html[/ftp]
  • on 1351272654:
    I am not sure how a discussion on "Custom handles and stuff" turns into a discussion of wood coatings and preservatives.  Not one photo of wooden handles and stuff... I have a cocobolo bean popper cap on the versalab, an aluminum bean popper cap on it and an oak cap on the Kony short Mini Mazzer hopper [ftp=ftp://mini4fun.info/Espresso_Gear/Espresso_Gear.html]http://mini4fun.info/Espresso_Gear/Espresso_Gear.html[/ftp]
    Um, you missed Kelsey's post mate but fair point... Except... You haven't provided one either... Check your permissions!  :P  :thumb:
  • BrettH: And where does one "Check your permissions"?  I was finding the Forum a bit strange in accepting photos.  It would take jpeg for a while and then it would not take that format.  I just checked my "Gallery" and the jpeg format is apparently accepted there.  So what's up?  Inserting a Link to a web page of my Coffee Gear seemed easier so that was what I did. Stephen
  • on 1351342294:
    BrettH: And where does one "Check your permissions"?  I was finding the Forum a bit strange in accepting photos.  It would take jpeg for a while and then it would not take that format.  I just checked my "Gallery" and the jpeg format is apparently accepted there.  So what's up?  Inserting a Link to a web page of my Coffee Gear seemed easier so that was what I did Stephen
    You should not have any restrictions on uploading images including multiple images via the attach section that's below the post box Just make them smaller Ohh Welcome to the Crema forum  :thumb: KK
  • Thanks KK! It appears that either I offended someone and have been banned (which I doubt) or the MAC system I am using does not like talking to whatever Crema is using. Now I don't even have a "Modify" button on my Posts when I visit them!  Correct that, no "Modify" button on the Post with the Link.  Something about the Link  :tearhair: and my hair is pretty thin as it is LOL! Stephen
  • I think this qualifies as "custom handles"  ;D Found them at an "antique" fair. Silver plated English made coffee spoons with coffee bean ends. Got the set of 12. Vendor thought they were real coffee beans  :doh:
  • Stunning A!  Real coffee beans.... I think not  :rofl:
  • Very nice!! I particularly like the simplicity and colour of the Londinium I handles/knobs from the first set. That tamper colour is exquisite also.
  • Very classy... Do you know the timber species?
  • Thank you all! Photo 002_5 is the orangish/reddish is cocobolo. the dark short tamper, photo 0006, handle on Reg Barber Brass base is desert ironwood. there is a short dark tamper handle, next to a Reg Barber Bubinga, that is Macassar Ebony. the dark wood that has a lot of figure, and is slightly grey, is Ziricote. the large grinder feed bowl is Ziricote photo 0013, the orange feed bowl is Cocobolo, the feed bowl that barely fit is Asian Ebony Photo 0003 is Asian Ebony. Photo 0005 is Ziricote. Photo 0010_1 is Cocobolo.
  • on 1364217367:
    Very nice!! I particularly like the simplicity and colour of the Londinium I handles/knobs from the first set. That tamper colour is exquisite also.
    I think you are referring to Asian Ebony handles.  Are they just sitting on the drip tray?  Then they are the Asian Ebony.
  • Awesome BL  :thumb: Did you make them or did cannonfodder from HB turn them up for you ?
  • on 1364244136:
    Awesome BL  :thumb: Did you make them or did cannonfodder from HB turn them up for you ?
    Thank you!  No, I made them.  I have been making furniture, cabinets, custom homes, steam bent framed boats and kayaks and all sorts of other things including cannon carriages (wood) for over 45 years.  So in retirement it gives me something to do to play with the exotic wood espresso gear. Cheers! Stephen
  • Cool. Dave does great work but it's so satisfying to knock them up yourself. Top stuff.
  • Hey Stephen, That's a truly beautiful display of artistry and technique. :kudos I'm not into turning myself but I really enjoy seeing displays of well, artisan work like yours. I have a number of HNT Gordon hand made Planes- the smoother in Jarrah (my workhorse), block plane in Ebony, rebate plane in Ringed Gidgee, etc. Terry sometimes makes Planes from (permit collected) Outback Hardwoods that are so dense, figured and gnarled they just mesmerise you. Many of those timbers are so dense they sink in water. The Ironbark is getting up there too. A few years ago now a boatbuilder mate of mine received a commission to restore to original an antique car- well the back half anyway which is a boat- antique style car front, boat tail. The client was well resourced and the job was to be six star standard. I recall visiting his factory and they basically converted the back half of the factory into a climate controlled room to manage timber movement. No expense was spared. Verniers being the accuracy required. 8 months near full time. Magnificent! Don't remember all the timbers, but Huon Pine and King Billy were prominent. Ever got your hands on some Huon Pine? Now that's the king of timbers.... For quite a number of years I was involved with the local Wooden Boat Association, which is now based at the Brisbane Maritime Museum and in that context was involved quite a bit with various tasks putting, getting and keeping the historic vessels on display... You know, steam bending, copper roves, epoxy (controversial)... All that good stuff... I bet we could keep each other entertained for hours with stories over an ale or 10....
  • And the rest of OG!!  Sounds just wonderful!
  • couple of hours with the dremel and this is what ive got, another lever handle for the retro in progress:)
  • Great mate... That's a labour of love but looking great!
  • tamper to match the bus:)
  • This tamper handle was made by a neighbor who makes high end furniture. It was his 1st attempt at a tamper. It's a blackwood handle from a tree that fell in our street. The grain in this handle is beautiful so I'm fairly happy to score this freebie
  • Lovely  :thumb: :thumb:
  • Very nice indeed  :thumb: I am now a convert to the resin handles KK