frame
After the old forum software breaking in a way that we were unable to fix, we've migrated the site to a new platform.

Some elements aren't working as we'd hoped - some avatars didn't survive the transition, and we're still having issues with attachments that weren't added as inline images, but we're hoping to have that all sorted out soon.

Where do you buy and find your beans???

Hi All,
As a total newbie to coffee I mostly buy my beans from the supermarkets, or occasionally a Harvey Norman store, which I know you will probably all scream for me to be banned, but with so much variety out there how do I know what to try? Where do you guys choose your beans?

Comments

• Hi Droaks and welcome. Generally speaking supermarket beans are already stale, although we've heard good reports about beans sold at Harvey Norman. What you're looking for is a roast date, not a use-by date. The roast date should ideally be within the last seven days but no more than 20 days ago. Beans generally hit peak freshness about 7 - 14 days in, but you know what they say about generalisations: All generalisations are wrong. Even that one. If you've been using supermarket beans you'll see a definite improvement from using a reputable roaster. You can order online from our sponsors:  MyCuppa, Ministry Grounds and Bean Green - all of whom can be found in the sponsors section of this forum. A few of us are LOVING the 'Stable Treat' from Ministry Grounds at the moment.
  • I usually buy from a couple of the site sponsors. NOT just because they sponsor the site, but because I like their products, price and service. When I started out, I bought from a local cafe and roaster because I was getting through small quantities of beans and shipping made mail order too expensive. Then I discovered you can freeze beans, or roast your own. Anyway, welcome, tell us more about the type of coffee you drink and where you are based, we may be able to offer more detailed suggestions. Oh by the way, you are correct that there is a lot of variety. That can be a problem, but better that than no choice.
  • I must admit I love my Cappuccino, I was until recently using a Bosch machine but moving to a Sunbeam I think next. I live in the South West of Sydney near Camden but for a great bean I'll have a go at anything, I found Rio Coffee and it was fantastic.
  • Take a look at the EM7000 thread and AM's excellent review.  Make sure you factor in a good espresso coffee grinder: http://www.bestcafes.com.au/domestic-grinder-review Welcome mate  :thumb:
  • I only drink black coffees in various styles and am Melbourne based so can only give limited advice. Milk/espresso combinations are the most common at the moment,  so you should be spoiled for choice. Hopefully some of  those more familiar with Sydney can advise on local roasters offerings.
  • Thx UNM, you are right about choice but how do I know what is good??
  • on 1355089367:
    Thx UNM, you are right about choice but how do I know what is good??
    Mate, that's an easy one... just like "how do I know what's the best beer?" Try em all and you'll soon know what YOU like!  :thumb:
  • Droaks, it depends on how you take your coffee - your previous post says 'milky coffee'. I don't really drink coffee that way, but the milk lovers on the forum seem to like MyCuppa's 'Suuweet'  and Berry Apocalypse blend. Ministry Ground's Stable Treat seems to be a milk espresso too.
  • droaks it is worth paying for postage to get the best. As Kelsey said mycuppa's Suuweet and Berry are fabulous, haven't tried the Stable Treat yet but am going to.  Through milk you also can't go wrong with mycuppa's Tanzania and Elk Hill single origins. Most of us roast our own but we still pay for what we think is the best, I do anyway.
  • on 1354749073:
    I must admit I love my Cappuccino, I was until recently using a Bosch machine but moving to a Sunbeam I think next. I live in the South West of Sydney near Camden but for a great bean I'll have a go at anything, I found Rio Coffee and it was fantastic.
    Droaks here's a roaster at minto that really great. Not sureif I'm allowed to say who they areole here as they aren't sponsors. Pm me for their name if you like, happy to post here if I'm allowed.
  • luke you can say whoever you want to say, this forum yes has it's sponsors but we don't limit ourselves to only talking to and about them  :angel:
  • Hi Luke! Who is it?
  • I roast my own at home here at ELDERSLIE but if I ever run out I drop in and see these guys, so far haven't been disappointed.  I hear if you order they home deliver rather than pot