frame
After the old forum software breaking in a way that we were unable to fix, we've migrated the site to a new platform.

Some elements aren't working as we'd hoped - some avatars didn't survive the transition, and we're still having issues with attachments that weren't added as inline images, but we're hoping to have that all sorted out soon.

Why I love home roasting

I've been going a little nuts the last few weeks. Haven't had time to roast and have been relying on a combination of Di Bella, Stable Treat and Venezanio beans. By far the best was the Stable Treat from Ministry Grounds Coffee, but even so - it's not my preferred style: too fruity and bright.

Finally had a chance to roast again last night and put together a blend of Brazil Daterra Estate Sweet, Costa Rica Herbazu Estate and Monsoonal Malabar roasted to just the start of second crack.

First pour this morning - still fresh, of course, but a tight grind mitigated most of the grassiness associated with that. But the rest was pure heaven - thick creamy mouthfeel and body, caramel and (according to my wife) hazelnut flavours and plenty of crema.

I'd begun to think there was something wrong with my machine - every pour I'd done had been 'thin' the last few weeks, I couldn't brew a truly great coffee to save my life. I wouldn't say this morning's was truly great, but it was as close as I've been for some time.

The take-away from all of this is not that I'm naturally a master roaster of incredible talent.

I'm a decidedly average home roaster who is too lazy to worry about roast profiling or even taking notes. But I know what I like and what my wife likes and I know which beans (in general) seem to get the result I'm after and how to roast them to the point that I get that result.

It's truly incredible to me that we're able to do this: that we have access to the resources (our site sponsor green bean suppliers), the technology (from home-built KKTOs and air poppers to Hottops) and the knowledge to be able to produce what has historically been beyond the domain of the home enthusiast.

Comments

• on 1355700279:
    It's truly incredible to me that we're able to do this: that we have access to the resources (our site sponsor green bean suppliers), the technology (from home-built KKTOs and air poppers to Hottops) and the knowledge to be able to produce what has historically been beyond the domain of the home enthusiast.
    :thumb: Totally agree with you on that Kelsey. Home roasting gives satisfaction in the roaster, the (storage) bag, the grinder and best of all; the cup.  :coffee2: :coffee2: I've had a Behmor for just over two years and recently acquired a 500g CCR. Not into the heat probes/computer monitoring (YET!) but still get a better tasting and satisfying cup @home than what is available around here. Freshness (as with any food); there's nothing better  :exclaim: About two years ago I got myself a better grinder (Ascaso i Mini) and I decided to buy some supermarket (on special) beans to "tune in" the grinder. I could never get anywhere near a decent extraction so went back to my grinder supplier to get some advice. After telling him what I was doing, he quickly replied; "And how old do you think those beans would be?"  :doh: :doh: I've upgraded my machine and grinder since then to enjoy this wonderful  :coffee: journey. YUP! Home roasting, you can't beat it for great coffee.
  • Absolutely agree guys, its so much fun and so easy! I also agree there is plenty of commercially roasted coffee that i find is less pleasant to my palate than the beans  roast myself. Given that i can pull a coffee on my hardware that i prefer to 95% of the cafes i have ever visited, its a pretty compelling argument to the high end home coffee environment!
  • For me it's also at least partly down to my personal taste not matching the prevailing trends in espresso. Even the best coffee on my Sydney trip last week (Euforia cafe, Balmain, delightful ristretto pulled on a Synesso) wasn't to my taste - although objectively it was an excellent coffee. I've honed in on the beans and blends that my wife and I love and am rarely disappointed at home.
  • on 1355705431:
    Absolutely agree guys, its so much fun and so easy! I also agree there is plenty of commercially roasted coffee that i find is less pleasant to my palate than the beans  roast myself. Given that i can pull a coffee on my hardware that i prefer to 95% of the cafes i have ever visited, its a pretty compelling argument to the high end home coffee environment!
    Yep! Couldn't have said it better  :thumb: I will only add that I am now, after roasting at home since 1996 enjoying very much trying the roasts of others.  The absolute standouts this year were not coincidently from Cosmorex and MyCuppa.  What has started me broadening my horizons again was the realisation that I'd missed the third wave completely while stuck in my shed, and while I don't prefer that style of roast/shot, it's nice to know why one is so unfashionable.  I can thank the Crema Forum Roast Swap for opening my mind and my wallet to roasted beans from other sources.  Of course I scored Jeff from MyCuppa the second time around and I learned more about flavours and roasting from those four examples he sent me than from any forum. Bottom line, don't lock yourself away for ever in your shed.... It's hot, it smells and neighbours get away with too much fruity stuff in your absence. Edit:
    on 1355706507:
    For me it's also at least partly down to my personal taste not matching the prevailing trends in espresso.
    Very well said!
  • Couldn't agree more, Brett - although I don't enjoy third wave espresso nearly as much as my own roasts I do enjoy tasting what others are doing and modifying my own roasting to incorporate some of the style. I've grown to appreciate a stronger fruit flavour than I could previously enjoy, although at much milder ratios than are present with many roasters. I've incorporated that into the blend that Jonty's been using and have found it a great balanced blend between the darker flavours I've preferred and the bright fruitiness of current popular roasts.
  • It's surprising me, who is only 6 months in to the home roasting journey, how addictive it is. I've done more roasts than I need just because I enjoy the process and the 15 minutes of quiet and solitude that doesn't seem to happen with 2 young kids. The vast majority of coffees I've roasted have been fantastic. I do enjoy what is happening out there and have tried some unbelievable coffee recently (proud Mary Don Pachi as a FW was sensational, Campos in Carlton single origins are consistently good without the hipster bollocks, gridlock / 65 degrees doing some good things too) But at the end of it, it will always taste better when you roast to your own taste at only $10 - $20 per kg on your own equipment that only you know how to get the best from. And when I see my wife wiping her finger around the cup to get every last drop, I know I've made another ripper coffee
  • That's the gauge isn't it? My mother in law is the only regular visitor who drinks espresso - I know I've nailed it when she corrals the last drips with her finger!
  • on 1355741594:
    That's the gauge isn't it?
    You're right (again) Kelsey.  :thumb: I have have just used that gauge technique myself  :angel: on a double shot flat white SO of Malawi AA  :coffee2: The best non-verbal approval one can receive eh?  :P
  • I told you it was addictive! ;)  We had great fun building your KKTO, and it's great to hear that it's turning out fantastic roasts. KISS is your friend for home roasting. :)