frame
After the old forum software breaking in a way that we were unable to fix, we've migrated the site to a new platform.

Some elements aren't working as we'd hoped - some avatars didn't survive the transition, and we're still having issues with attachments that weren't added as inline images, but we're hoping to have that all sorted out soon.

Anyone roast their own beans ?

i've read a bit about it at coffeegeek and homebarista. is it really as easy as whacking em in a popcorn machine ?  ??? surely not.

Comments

• Simply...Yes. Of course nothing's ever that simple.  You have to really keep track of things.  You have to make sure the beans are well agitated, to ensure even roasting, you have to have your ears open for the first crack, you have to use your eyes and nose to help you judge how dark the roast is.  You have to burn through a bunch of beans until you find a roast combination you like for a particular bean.  Then there's blending... With a bit of practice, it all becomes routine, especially if you keep a log of all your roasts.  You know exactly how long it should take for a particular bean to get it to the roast level you've found to be optimal. Bit of garage science really.
  • Remus I have been home-roasting (predominantly popcorn popper but also the stovetop pan) for over a year now. It is very easy to 'roast' the beans, but takes patience, attention and a bit of luck to get a great roast. My personal view is that you are unlikely to get a roast as 'good' as that from a professional roaster, but you do have more control, flexibility (to alter blends, roast single origin, etc) and the satisfaction of controlling the whole process of your coffee from green bean to washing up the cup! Patrick
  • Not to mention the accidental over-roasting that gets the fire brigade knocking on your door  :o
  • thanks for the info everyone.  :)
  • Hey remus, I'm a homeroaster too. I found that doing a roast with someone who already roasts was really helpful ... if ya wanna have a crack, let me know!
  • definately. where do you get your green beans from and how much are they per/kg. is it worth the time and effort in your opinion ?
  • Remus, There are a number of online green bean co-ops, although I am reluctant to list their sites pending Admin's ok! Green beans can cost from about $5/kg up to $15/kg, depending on the bean. With the popcorn popper, it takes me about 1.5 hrs to roast about 500 grams. I tend to limit my roasts to about 80 grams each and blend after I have roasted my beans (I also often keep, unblended, a 'feature' bean to try single origin espressos - the last one was a great Guatemalan Antigua). The reason I home roast is for the fun, control and variability of it all. I don't rate cost or quality of the end product as reasons to home roast - how can a $20 popper outperform a $10,000 10kg roaster used by a professional? In terms of cost - if I was to put a dollar value of the 1.5 hours I spend on a Sat morning roasting, it would more than make up for the actual cost saving of the beans. I would encourage you to give it a go, if nothing more than to satisfy curiousity. Then, of course, you will need to grow, harvest and process your green beans! Patrick
  • i think if you check out pinot's site, there's a link to green bean sellers. otherwise, there is a green bean co-op site going ... if you're struggling, contact me and i'll chat to my contacts ... how sus does that sound!?!
  • Mattyj, any of your 'contacts' happen to be baggage handlers for a major international airline?
  • Nunu - perhaps not baggage handlers, but I understand he can get about 4kg of Sumatran beans (get it....Indonesian?  8)) P
  • Taped to his body no less...
  • I was gonna say something about putting a Schapadlock on the bag ... but that might not be the nicest thing to say. 4kg of sumatran ... ya dag! I got it straight away!
  • Just make sure you get about 20 years worth of beans. Remus, have you had any luck sourcing beans yet? If not, send me a message and I will send you links to green bean co-ops. P
  • haven;t got round to home roasting yet. but i intend to start and give it a go. thanks everyone for the help and advice. nz is pioneer coffee roasting your place or just a place you order from ?
  • Hey Remus,its my place along with another user here(Pioneer).
  • cool. whats the starter pack and how do i get started. 8)
  • Hey Remus, Drop me an email and i can send you some info/help.
  • yes home roasting is as easy as all that just a bit of time and practice try reading home coffee roasting by kenneth davids and coffee basic kevin knox. I am a roaster and i started home roasting then supply to cafe, etc with a popcorn roaster or two a cheap way to start out before spending 15 thou of a commerical roaster so go for. Try your local roaster for green beans or the green bean  in guy in sydeny for small amount of green beans. Buy a smaple of roasted and under roasted and try and roast them the same. good luck send me a email for more information
  • ok, almost there lads. imex roaster is in the mail as are the beans. hopefully this weekend i can start roasting !! jason hooked me up with 6 x 500gms of Indian, Brazil, Harrar, Costa Rica, Peru, Kenya.
  • Quick update: 40% costa rican 30% Peru 20% Mexican 10% Brazil my goodness...what a dayum great cup of coffee. the espresso's i'm pulling out of the pavoni are the thickest, creamiest, best i've ever seen or tasted in my life.