frame
After the old forum software breaking in a way that we were unable to fix, we've migrated the site to a new platform.

Some elements aren't working as we'd hoped - some avatars didn't survive the transition, and we're still having issues with attachments that weren't added as inline images, but we're hoping to have that all sorted out soon.

Cafe owners - mobile phones??

Hi guys - recent article in SMH about mobile phone use in-store: http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/mobiles/ban-mobile-phones-retailers-say-20130703-2pbzr.html

Just wondered, is this becoming a big issue for cafe owners?

A

Comments

• Crisis in Turkey, brand new (kinda) PM in the lodge struggling to get a grip on his own party, RBA chair's comments causing a (welcome) collapse in the dollar, an Aussie wearing yellow...it's definitely not a slow news day, yet Fairfax put this tripe out masquerading as news. And they think people are going to start paying for this stuff? But as to whether it's an issue for cafe owners, I'd be stunned if a cafe owner didn't have 50 things they worry about more, such as penalty rates, staff laziness, needing a new grease trap, etc.
  • I agree with these guys, I would tell them to piss off too (probably why I don't work in retail), the mobile phone is taking over the world and we are on 24/7 which I don't think is a good thing.  I got told off by the wife for checking my email at the dinner table tonight, so yes even I forget my manners! :) Hang up, step aside while you finish your call or ask the person on the phone to wait while you place your order.  It's just manners!  And it's especially rude when you get the yuppies with the blue tooth ear pieces in and you don't know who the hell they are talking too. Men are worse, we can't do 2 things at once either!  :rofl:
  • I think restaurants and cinemas should have either
      [li]a place where you hand your phone in and someone answers it for you - paging you if there is an urgent call, or [/li] [li]a device which blocks all phone signals within the confines of the building[/li]
    FFS if you can't survive 2 hours without your phone, you shouldn't have gone out in the first place.  Also, I've walked out of meals with people that spend more time on their phone than they do talking to us. I think it is really rude, and pretty much telling the people that you are eating with that you find them boring.
  • Yep!  Agree with all respondents above.  I started paying for journalistic content a couple of years go and canceled it 12 months after.  It just wasn't different enough to what we're being fed in mainstream.  Once upon a time we had to make do without the ubiquitous mobile... However did we cope!?
  • on 1372917718:
    Crisis in Turkey, brand new (kinda) PM in the lodge struggling to get a grip on his own party, RBA chair's comments causing a (welcome) collapse in the dollar, an Aussie wearing yellow...it's definitely not a slow news day, yet Fairfax put this tripe out masquerading as news. And they think people are going to start paying for this stuff? But as to whether it's an issue for cafe owners, I'd be stunned if a cafe owner didn't have 50 things they worry about more, such as penalty rates, staff laziness, needing a new grease trap, etc.
    I had a guy come in today and order at the counter whilst speaking into his mobile with the loudspeaker on - both I and my staff member walked away and came back when he'd finished talking into the phone - only to have him resume his very loud conversation immediately after! After working a twelve hour day with a staff member no-show (I fear for the youth of today, I'm afraid...) and opening the cafe on mine own - I have to you that being polite to someone who is deliberately rude or inconsiderate is a big ask - let me tell you! But the last time (a few months ago) I ejected a couple of patrons from my cafe for the same reason I had 3 plate glass windows smashed overnight of the same day to the value of $4000! So it's a fine line that we tread! Although I did once physically remove a lawyer from a restaurant and toss him out onto the street, for verbally abusing a staff member - and that little episode brings a smile to my face until this day! P
  • I abhor rude behaviour, but perhaps I have a different perspective on being on a phone. Clearly talking loudly on a phone while ordering a coffee or anything else is quite rude and unacceptable. But, what about this scenario. Someone walks up to your counter with a phone to their ear, but if they're talking at all it's relatively low volume. Without taking the phone from their ear they make eye contact with you and say 'flat white to go please' and give a pleasant smile. While keeping the phone to their ear they hand over a $5 note and collect the change, again with a pleasant smile and keeping any chat on the phone at a low volume. Would you consider this rude? I ask because it's a scenario I see everyday in the city, and I reckon I've probably done it myself a few times.
  • FFS if you can't survive 2 hours without your phone, you shouldn't have gone out in the first place. 
    What if your wife insists on booking something for this Saturday evening, at the same time as both Hawks-Geelong AND Wallabies-Lions? How can I possibly avoid dashing to the bathroom every 10 mins to keep an eye on the scores. I'll have to make sure my wife's water is always full so she has lots of bathroom breaks too!
  • on 1372970608:
    Without taking the phone from their ear they make eye contact with you and say 'flat white to go please' and give a pleasant smile. While keeping the phone to their ear they hand over a $5 note and collect the change, again with a pleasant smile and keeping any chat on the phone at a low volume.
    can't argue with this scenario above, but how many times have you been in a queue and had to wait to be served while the person in front of you 'just has to' take this call, and then proceeds to unload about all their dramas? May not have happened to you Jonathon, but has happened to me more than once. dR