frame
After the old forum software breaking in a way that we were unable to fix, we've migrated the site to a new platform.

Some elements aren't working as we'd hoped - some avatars didn't survive the transition, and we're still having issues with attachments that weren't added as inline images, but we're hoping to have that all sorted out soon.

0480 grinder settings

edited January 1970 in Grinders
Hi all, I am really new to all of this & I really need some direction with the settings on the sunbeam 0480 grinde for the 6910 machine!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am using house blends from both ALLPRESS & CAMPOS & I cant get it right with the beans that I am grinding at home but I seem to do OK with what I have had pre ground from the store???????????

I havnt had a decent coffee at home for the past two days & it getting to me

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!! >:( :(

Comments

• Hi LB, sorry but you really need to be a bit more specific.  What is your experience with coffee, are you genereally pretty confident with changing the grinder settings?  Are you using the presurised or non-pressurised baskets with the 6910?
  • Hi there Liquid Beans - PS is right, although as a general rule, beginners find they are not grinding the beans finely enough - does the water run through the basket pretty quickly? The grind should be fine enough that when you've packed the filter basketand switch on the extraction, it almost seems to struggle a little at first. This should then become a nice thick [honey-like] pour. dR
  • Hi LB I have the same set up at home got mine for $545 and got the grinder by redemption , I test a small quantity of beans in the grinder before I go and fill my airtight ceramic pot with fresh ground beans. Like DR said watch your pour and adjust from there if you've gone too fine you'll know it and can work on it till you find a setting that suits your taste. Don't forget to test and adjust when you change beans.
  • Thank you all for replying, much appreciated & sorry about being vague. Iam using the non presurised baskets & I am totally new to the whole thing, but have been enjoying great espresso for years. Here are a few thing that I see
  • Hi LB....I've had the Sunbeam EM6900/6910 for a couple of years now, and the EM0480 Grinder for approx 12 Months...so have made a number of Coffees with this combination
  • Thanks HG, I hear you but with even a really light tamp at 13, 14, 15, 16 nothing happens in the 1st 10 sec. I played around tonight & found my self up around 19, 20 setting using a espro tamp before it clicked & it still dragged out to the 35-38 sec mark. So I guess I will need to go up a notch or 2???????? On another note, have you removed the black plastic liner in the group handle on your machine?
  • On the original Group Handle that I got with the EM6900, I removed it because it had been advised in a Forum review I had read elsewhere. When Sunbeam supplied a replacement EM6910, and therefore a replacement Group Handle, I didn't bother removing it.  I just make sure I give it a good soaking every once in a while with boiling water......perhaps I don't want to know what's growing under it  ;D.
  • Just spoke with sunbeam & they think that the calibration might be out on the grinder & recomended that I remove one of the spacers to pull back the numbers on the setting. Has anybody had to this little excorcise?????????????
  • So increadably simple, i just did the exact opposite last week (ie/ put an extra spacer in). All you need is a standard phillips head screwdriver and maybe a set of fliers/a small spanner to untighten a certain screw. Unplug your grinder from the mains, remove the hopper and tip out any excess beans (if any).  Looking down on it you'll see four screws, loosen each of these.  Next pull the entire plastic 'lid' up and out of the way.  Be very careful not to lose any of the screws or a tiny spring that sits where a small wire that ataches to a small button that lets the grinder know when the hopper is in place. Now the blades should look very exposed.  Use a small spanner (i just used some pliers) to losen and remove a small nut that sits directly on top of the conical blade.  Remove the star washer and the other little metal thing of which it purpose i have no idea.  The conical blade should easily lift off exposing between one and three very thin washers (this isn't a fixed number as when the grinders are assembled they are then 'callibrated'  by inserting as many of these washers as is deemed necesary).  Now remove (and keep in a safe place as you'll need it again in around 12-18months time) one of these washers and re-assemle the parts in the reverse order. You should also take this opportunity to give it all a great clean.  Not really necesary after only a kg or so, but while you've got it open you may as well. Hope this helps
  • Thanks PS, I think that the little "i dont know what thing" is to hold it in place with pliers & undo the dome nut so that you dont need to remove the top of the housing to hold or lock in the bottom of the bur. It has worked with a big change in where the setting now lies & make me feel more confident with what I have. Thanks again  :D