frame
After the old forum software breaking in a way that we were unable to fix, we've migrated the site to a new platform.

Some elements aren't working as we'd hoped - some avatars didn't survive the transition, and we're still having issues with attachments that weren't added as inline images, but we're hoping to have that all sorted out soon.

Hobart grinder - maintenance?

edited January 1970 in Grinders
Hi,  I have an ancient Hobart coffee grinder, maybe 30 years old (Model E2120 if that means anything to anyone!) which is in working order but needs servicing (I can't adjust the grind).  According to the last person who took it apart (my father) it's missing a spring somewhere.  It's a beautiful piece of equipment and I'd like to keep it in good shape.

I'm trying to track down someone who would be able to service this type of machine.  I've contacted Hobart directly but they said they never serviced a coffee grinder.

If anyone can point me in the direction of someone who does this kind of work (in Sydney or surrounding area) it would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Saskia

Comments

• Hi Saskia - a lot of the coffee roasters have their own in-house service department and as a general rule the bigger the roaster the bigger the department Try contacting Vittoria coffee and ask to be put through to their service department - chances are that if they cant help you they may be able to point you in the direction of somebody who can cheers, pat
  • Thanks,  excellent idea.  I'll try that. Saskia
  • Actually I disagree. I think it should go to "Hobart" and you will most assuredly find someone there who will lavish it with the love that you give to a long lost child..... Telephone them again......who cares if they never serviced one of their own grinders....there is very little anyone ever services in a grinder, and you might be lucky to find some "old" bloke in their service section who would love to take a look and rectify whatever the problem is. Grinders are very simple. Of course, I could be wrong (about them wanting to see a long lost child......) Otherwise, take it (ring first) to someone like Alvaro Biancchi in Leichardt who has been servicing all type of machines and grinders since adam was a boy! Attilio.
  • sounds like some good advice - let us know how you go!
  • Actually I disagree. I think it should go to "Hobart" and you will most assuredly find someone there who will lavish it with the love that you give to a long lost child..... Telephone them again......who cares if they never serviced one of their own grinders....there is very little anyone ever services in a grinder, and you might be lucky to find some "old" bloke in their service section who would love to take a look and rectify whatever the problem is. Grinders are very simple. Of course, I could be wrong (about them wanting to see a long lost child......) Otherwise, take it (ring first) to someone like Alvaro Biancchi in Leichardt who has been servicing all type of machines and grinders since adam was a boy! Attilio.
    I remember there was someone in Launceston, North of Hobart who is excellent at servicing Coffee Machines and Ginders. Last name Hill... If I can locate his business card, I let you know his details. Is used by a large number of coffee companies to service their clients.
  • Thanks guys, I'll make some calls tomorrow and keep you posted.  Some good ideas from the coffee brains out there.   :)
  • Call Hobart again and tell them they need a wakeup call on the company history....they can even look at their own website http://www.hobartfood.com.au/company_history.asp To find the following. The Hobart Corporation USA began with the idea to put an electric motor on a coffee grinder. On July 20 1897 Mr CC Hobart & Herbert L. Johnson formed the Hobart Electrical Manufacturing Company in Troy, Ohio USA. Then find an independent repairer who will have a much better chance of actually fixing it than the manufacturer does. Believe me, I've spent a lot of years now working for both manufacturers and independent service providers, and while manufacturers know their own stuff, they ONLY know their own stuff and don't have any idea about thinking outside the square.  So when your machine needs a part they don't have, they'll just say "sorry it can't be repaired" whereas the independent guy will look at it as say "hey, its just like this other brand which this part right here fits, there you go sir or madam." Go on, ask me about the $1600 oven burner which was going to take 6 weeks to bring into Australia which could be replaced with an identical burner from a hot water system for....wait for it.....$120.....the next day.