frame
After the old forum software breaking in a way that we were unable to fix, we've migrated the site to a new platform.

Some elements aren't working as we'd hoped - some avatars didn't survive the transition, and we're still having issues with attachments that weren't added as inline images, but we're hoping to have that all sorted out soon.

Coffee an art or science?

edited January 1970 in Off-topic
a bit off the mainstream, but interesting: https://www.wired.com/2017/02/study-coffee-at-uc-davis/

any thoughts/comments

Comments

• Yeah, interesting of course. But I think it's an Art.
  • Both... I enjoy the "logic" of the science and love the "magic" of the art ...and the feeling you get when you pull that "god shot"
  • It seems to be competition baristas on the bleeding edge who are pushing the boundaries of what is possible with coffee mostly by trial and error - and those cutting edge innovations often inform coffee machine design and innovation - and over time these innovations such as individually temperature controlled boilers for example filter down to a wide variety of equipment across numerous manufactures - some with varying degrees of success Some innovations such as electron spectrometers seem like overkill to me in all but the most accademic of situations - still if it leads to improvements in taste in the cup them I suppose that I am not in principle opposed to that ... P
  • I think of it as a craft especially when you add home-roasting and the various styles of extraction.
  • on 1486549333:
    I think of it as a craft especially when you add home-roasting and the various styles of extraction.
    A little bit of craft A little bit of art A little bit of science And a little bit of BLACK MAGIC KK
  • on 1486550001:
    A little bit of craft A little bit of art A little bit of science And a little bit of BLACK MAGIC KK
    Well described KK [emoji2] Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • on 1486550001:
    hell yeah - i would say a WHOLE lot of black magic, and you can throw a bit of voodoo into the mix for good measure as well!