frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register
After the old forum software breaking in a way that we were unable to fix, we've migrated the site to a new platform.

Some elements aren't working as we'd hoped - some avatars didn't survive the transition, and we're still having issues with attachments that weren't added as inline images, but we're hoping to have that all sorted out soon.

Transparent portafilters

edited January 1970 in Accessories
Hey guys,

As the title suggests, has anyone played with or seen a transparent bottomless portafilter?. I think it would be a great learning tool for visually understanding the impacts of pre infusion, and a good tool for understanding the extraction process within the portafilter.

Thoughts?

Comments

• You mean the handle and the basket? Not sure how a transparent PF would give you a better result than a standard naked PF setup which pretty much has your entire extraction up for display and examination anyway In theory I like the idea but I can't​ really think of a material which would be both durable enough whilst still being able to maintain temperature stability, which would do the job Plus they'd be a bugger to keep clean P
  • I believe this will be of interest to you
  • There are images of Sweeney's transparent portafilter and discussion in the following thread http://www.home-barista.com/espresso-machines/stephen-sweeneys-tpf-transparent-portafilter-t29911.html
  • That's the exact video that got me interested in it in the first instance. Thanks for uploading it. Do you feel they add much in terms of diagnostics from a pre infusion point of view? If anything they are certainly interesting to look at to get a cross section view of the extraction process
  • The most interesting point to watch and note is the "puck jump" for the lever users and then read the related comments.
  • Yes that was interesting! Of all the things I was expecting to come out of the project it certainly wasn't that!
  • Wonderful stuff!!  I'd have one for the theatrical appeal.  I'm off to read the HB thread and watch it invariably descend in to an alt.coffee shambles with name-calling and Nazi allegations :D.  Edit:what a great thread and excellent lack of trolls!
  • The theatrics of it do look amazing. But Pat is right in that I don't think it would in anyways "improve" a coffee due to temp stability issues from materials used. From a diagnostic point of view for pre-infusion, different pump pressures I.e traditional levers vs pump machines and tamping techniques/pressures they could certainly add fuel to the fire  (as indicated in the Home barista  thread) Wondering if there have been any other clever innovative diagnostic tools for spro in a similar vein?
  • I just want one to play with :)
  • on 1489665359:
    I just want one to play with :)
    I just want coffee  :exclaim: :coffee2:
  • on 1489698864:
    I just want coffee  :exclaim: :coffee2:
    Me too but I'm a whore for the theatre darlings so sign me up! It's funny it's one of my favourite sayings that I don't want a project I want a coffee.... but the force is strong with this one ;)
  • I work with naked portfilters at the cafe so I feel like I'm over exposed to diagnostics all the time ! P
  • It is a diagnostic tool, like a naked portafilter. You would be able to watch the water make contact with the puck, and the subsequent expansion of said coffee. Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
  • on 1495648281:
    It is a diagnostic tool, like a naked portafilter. You would be able to watch the water make contact with the puck, and the subsequent expansion of said coffee.
    Yes please.... I want one.
  • What about a crystal one for the touchy-feely folks who have voyeuristic tendencies but also want to align their elemental energy? Seriously, if Bulletproof Coffee is a thing.... may be a huge market.....
  • on 1501294262:
    What about a crystal one for the touchy-feely folks who have voyeuristic tendencies but also want to align their elemental energy? Seriously, if Bulletproof Coffee is a thing.... may be a huge market.....
    Yes please. Coffee with extracted crystal energy could be the next big thing. Avolattes are so 2016. 4f37a777c491cd88e3177eb61642eda5.jpg
  • Hahaha... I can definitely see an LED portafilter at some stage being made by SOMEone surrrrely... XD
  • Whilst we're having Sat night laughs I have to share my Avolatte web page: https://www.kbean.com.au/contents/espressocado-keep-avocadocup?rq=AvoLatte Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Lmao haha ah that's gold... who wants to keep throwing out their avocado skins?!? XD Oh would love to see the  businessman in his suit, ordering a skinny latte to go, and presenting the barista with this XD
  • I'm afraid I missed the Avolatte phase though I'm not sorry.  Has anyone thought to do espresso served over smashed Kale?? It may be the next big thing!!
  • I am pretty sure that you would have to make your own, I imagine that such a thing would be fragile and prone to failure. I have seen videos of people using them and I also think that what you could learn is no more than what I have learned just from said videos. Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
  • on 1501384264:
    I am pretty sure that you would have to make your own, I imagine that such a thing would be fragile and prone to failure. I have seen videos of people using them and I also think that what you could learn is no more than what I have learned just from said videos. Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
    I was reading an old blog post about how Stephen Sweeney hasn't made anymore for people, even big companies that ask. So the blog writer tried to make one himself and recorded the process, needless to say he is never going to be doing it again! http://kostverlorenvaart.blogspot.com/2014/07/transparent-portafilter-making-part-1.html
  • Crikey. Amazing photos!!  What a hugely time-intensive venture but outstanding nonetheless.
  • Just thinkin... next step is a portafilter basket that scans and measures density levels throughout the basket... a coffee ultrasound XD... that would be great for testing out the effectiveness of different distribution methods/tools! I'm on it!
  • on 1504270897:
    Just thinkin... next step is a portafilter basket that scans and measures density levels throughout the basket... a coffee ultrasound XD... that would be great for testing out the effectiveness of different distribution methods/tools! I'm on it!
    Mine does that.  Sort of.  At least, it spits in disgust when the density is too uneven ;-)
  • Ah.. touché! Hahaha