frame
After the old forum software breaking in a way that we were unable to fix, we've migrated the site to a new platform.

Some elements aren't working as we'd hoped - some avatars didn't survive the transition, and we're still having issues with attachments that weren't added as inline images, but we're hoping to have that all sorted out soon.

Quamar Q50P/doserless habits!

2»

Comments

• Simon......mate, step away from the grinder and take a deep breathe. Playing with coffee that is too fresh or in it's final "wobbly" stage before stabilization is fraught with frustration. You are trying to work with an Ethiopian natural and these can be terribly challenging to dial in consistently after 7 or 8 days. Think 12+ days or more. Harrar's are probably the hardest to dial in......consisting of highly variable screen size and densities. If I was you, I would be looking to play with something that has perhaps more consistent in screen and density - like a Colombian or a Guatemalan. Softer beans like Brazil, Sumatran, etc. can be difficult to get the shots consistent if the bean itself was not processed or roasted well. Focus on harder, dense beans with plenty of age so you can eliminate the coffee from the variables.
  • on 1502410888:
    Simon......mate, step away from the grinder and take a deep breathe. Playing with coffee that is too fresh or in it's final "wobbly" stage before stabilization is fraught with frustration. You are trying to work with an Ethiopian natural and these can be terribly challenging to dial in consistently after 7 or 8 days. Think 12+ days or more. Harrar's are probably the hardest to dial in......consisting of highly variable screen size and densities. If I was you, I would be looking to play with something that has perhaps more consistent in screen and density - like a Colombian or a Guatemalan. Softer beans like Brazil, Sumatran, etc. can be difficult to get the shots consistent if the bean itself was not processed or roasted well. Focus on harder, dense beans with plenty of age so you can eliminate the coffee from the variables.
    Haha thanks for that mate will do, wasn't aware of the Harrar beans' need for much longer rest, and the trickiness of dialing it in. Will wait until day 12 post-roast anyways. I was thinking of roasting up some India Elephant Hills AA beans soon, would they be a good option to smash out shots and nut out the grinder do you think? Otherwise I have greens in PNG Mt Ambra A (washed), or Honduras Montana de Comayagua if you think they'd be better suited... Or I'll just order in some not-me-roasted Columbian beans Appreciate the help mate
  • Order a bag of beans from mycuppa (same as above!!) mate. Rest them then try to dial your grinder in. They are always a go to for me when I am frustrated with what I’m roasting. Always very consistent quality. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • on 1501293705:
    Great thread and good advice.  I was so very ready to go the whole hog and grab a... forgot... belt drive, conical burr opens grind chamber... forget.  Seriously expensive, import only and trashed on forums by the select few owners.  A K10, a paint brush and I'm happy.... for now...... KISS
    Love my K10 Coni WBC. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • on 1502421801:
    Order a bag of beans from mycuppa (same as above!!) mate. Rest them then try to dial your grinder in. They are always a go to for me when I am frustrated with what I’m roasting. Always very consistent quality. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Haha done, ordered 1kg of Colombia Excelso FAIRTRADE and Organic from you mycuppa, I'm keen as to get this sorted XD
  • Great - Enjoy Simon. I can tell that you have really found yourself a new hobby :) Cheers, Paul K Bean - Buyer's Guide Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • on 1502435331:
    Love my K10 Coni WBC. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I still forget the name of that grinder... anyone??
  • Found it... Versalab! Singly the worst website in the modern era but perhaps the best grinder!
  • on 1502448009:
    Great - Enjoy Simon. I can tell that you have really found yourself a new hobby :) Cheers, Paul K Bean - Buyer's Guide Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Haha a hobby of constantly doing the same thing and expecting different results! XD Yeah learning lots, even at this stage, so am having fun with it.
  • on 1502449112:
    Found it... Versalab! Singly the worst website in the modern era but perhaps the best grinder!
    Oh yeah, Versalab. The space age coffee grinder that doesn't really look like a coffee grinder. They do that crazy 3-headed thing don't they?
  • on 1502454409:
    Haha a hobby of constantly doing the same thing and expecting different results! XD Yeah learning lots, even at this stage, so am having fun with it.
    As long as you're enjoying it Simon. I was starting to worry about you for a bit there. LOL.
  • Haha yeah don't worry am still loving it, had a few moments for sure (:S) but those can't keep me away ;)
  • on 1502483039:
    Oh yeah, Versalab. The space age coffee grinder that doesn't really look like a coffee grinder. They do that crazy 3-headed thing don't they?
    That's it! I considered one but support is a long way away!  Also I don't think the difference in the cup will be better enough to warrant the hassle.
  • No essay today haha, but just a little DIYing fun! The flexible metal strip across the front of the chute snapped off (probably from me constantly bending it back and forward to clean the chute). I found it really helpful with eliminating static and also in holding back the grinds from shooting out fast, as without it I found it made a bit of a mess haha. So I pondered a few possibilities, dusted my hands, and bought just some ol 0.9mm wire, cut it up, twisted it round, and viola! Works very well in eliminating mess, and not only that, quite easy to move out of the way to clean the chute (my original plan involved magnets, double sided adhesive strips and slicing up metal sheeting, so this is much simpler haha). I slotted the ends of the wire inside the holes left from the finger guard thingo I removed, seemed to just all fall into place. Just thought I'd post this for anyone else in a similar predicament, there always seems to be some sort of solution haha. 9e2535d7eb8df8612b1b4d29b8aee88b.jpg95c0cfd727309b7e6e478734da14ebcb.jpgd9bd07701481d160441db87940c25ea6.jpg
  • Very clever Simon. Thanks for sharing :)  ...and take care with those fingers ;) Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Haha, yeah the finger guard never made sense to me, completely blocks the ability to clear the chute (if one loves doing that sorta thing hehe). Obviously it's there for safety reasons I guess ;)