frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

After the old forum software breaking in a way that we were unable to fix, we've migrated the site to a new platform.

Some elements aren't working as we'd hoped - some avatars didn't survive the transition, and we're still having issues with attachments that weren't added as inline images, but we're hoping to have that all sorted out soon.

Gold Coast Best Coffee?

2»

Comments

• Hi CoffeeJM - just a quick question: are most of those cafes within walking distance of the convention centre, or are they accessible only by car? dR
  • Hi dR, the only coffee outlets near the Convention Centre would be those at Broadbeach or Pacific Fair. By car, Piccolo Espresso, Coffee Sisters and Kaffiend are about 15 min while Cabarita is more like 40min. Were you at the Barista Champs yesterday? We left about 4pm and so didn't get the final placings. Watched the finals and it looked pretty close. Any comments from Crema Forum members about placings/comparisons with last years event etc?
  • Just an addendum to what has been previously said. Picollo used to be my Cafe of choice but with the change of owner I don't think it is quite where it once was. I like Coffee Moves at Tweed City - but thats a little bit of a drive or Flayvah Cafe at Nerang - they are smaller un-assuming Cafe's but they do great coffee & scrummy food.
  • Black Board Coffee in Varsity Lakes would have to be the Best!:) I would highly recommend it & I have heard Black Coffee Lyrics in surfers is also good :)
  • ok this thread needs a good update - couple of places that should have been mentioned, the gold coast is not a dirty word when it comes to coffee (anymore at least!) Surfers: black coffee lyrics is better than anything else in the area; only place worth going to in surfers (most GC locals steer clear of surfers anyway) Broadbeach: no name lane on elizabeth st Barista: Adam is the main barista and a boss (and i think, the boss as well?) pulls consistent amazing shots. Decor: a funny little place, upmarket slick and small layout with limited food (but who cares its about coffee right?) Equipment: synesso/mazzers Mermaid: govs espresso on the GC highway Barista: Renton is the main barista; always consistent and careful; pulls amazing shots. Decor: big old messy house, antiques and old furniture and a huge sandpit/kids are out the back. a weird place to find gourmet coffee, its usually quiet. Equipment: marzocco/mazzer Burleigh: Canteen espresso just off James St. Barista: all the lads here are very good, great unique shots and excellent milk work. Decor: small, dark and industrial, a row of old theatre seats and limited table space outside. Equipment: strada/mazzer Campos is becoming a bit mainstream here now - personally im not a huge fan but is it a cut above the majority: there are a few cafe's that absolutely butcher the campos coffee though..... maybe i got unlucky with baristas or bad days or whatever but two in particular - barefoot barista in palm beach and commune just off the highway in burleigh - been to both of these places several times and been thoroughly dissapointed with the coffee every time - i just order juice or tea if i go back these days. a funny little shopping centre cafe out at Benowa has done the best campos for me - a great double ristretto from the boss there that reminds me of the quality campos i first tasted in the valley in brisbane... shame its in the middle of nowhere. barista borough on the esplanade at burleigh do good things with the campos blend also - been there twice and found it a cut above. plenty of quality coffee to be had on the goldy these days!
  • I venture to the Gold Cost on a semi regular basis. I also like No Name Lane  :thumb: KK
  • Hi Pat, Please be enlightened about good coffee on the Gold Coast. Head to Tedder Avenue, Main Beach. On one sunny corner of this lovely village is 'Hard Coffee'. Using a LaMarzocco machine; they have their own blend of beans. Coffee is always great. Baristas always use a thermometer for the milk ! Coffee always consistent. Minimal wait time for take-aways and (all outside) tables. All backed up by great food.  Packed on weekends.
  • http://www.foodgoldcoast.com.au/blackboard-specialty-coffee/ "Blackboard Speciality Coffee" in Varsity Lakes (near Bond Uni) is also worth a look.  It's a bit of a hidden part of the Gold Coast,  and only 5 mins from Robina Town Centre.
  • Was up at the Gold Coast just over a week ago and dropped into this Cafe Ground Control Coffee Roastery & Showroom 5/29 Industry Drive, Tweed Heads south ...after seeing their Coffee Roastery sign pinned up nearby.. we dropped by to check it out. Their house blend is called Major Tom It is an Industrial design .. fab coffee. Glad I dropped in .. and came back to Melb with some of their beans. My sister and I were on a coffee run .. and this place .. and their coffee was clearly the best on the day.