frame
After the old forum software breaking in a way that we were unable to fix, we've migrated the site to a new platform.

Some elements aren't working as we'd hoped - some avatars didn't survive the transition, and we're still having issues with attachments that weren't added as inline images, but we're hoping to have that all sorted out soon.

AASCA ACT Barista Championship

Held over 2 days last weekend (11 and 12 Feb 2012).

The Standard of ACT entrants is very high.

Saturday:

The barista comp. Nine competitors,  all at a very comparable level to eachother, all were well prepared and professional, a credit to their profession as well as to the comp itself.

In addition to being on the organising committee I was on the panel of judges.

Sunday:

In the morning the Latte Art Comp. Great fun, casual, less need for the kind of formality required in the barista comp. Some great work, and some less great work from the beginners, but they went in and they had a go  :thumb: They will improve and will be better for having tried !

In the afternoon: The Coffee Cupping Comp. This is a blind cupping of single origins brewed by the filter method, where contestants had to pick the "odd" one of 8 groups of 3 coffees (each group = 2 the same, 1 different).

There were 7 contestants including 2 pro roasters (not me). One of my own employees did me proud, winning the Cupping Comp, and will represent the ACT at the Nationals  :)

Comments

• There were 7 contestants including 2 pro roasters (not me). One of my own employees did me proud, winning the Cupping Comp, and will represent the ACT at the Nationals  :)
    Congrats and Indeed - something to be proud of KK
  • Thanks appreciate the thought. He got 7 out of 8 right....a really good effort. After the comp....much later, after the clean up....I bought him a ......beer!
  • on 1329216977:
    Thanks appreciate the thought. He got 7 out of 8 right....a really good effort. After the comp....much later, after the clean up....I bought him a ......beer!
    Can beer be considered a replacement for sorbet  ;D  :rofl: KK
  • errh yes....strictly speaking we were refreshing our palates  ;D
  • A more comprehensive analysis: The Standard of ACT competitors is very high and at least equal to those in the NSW comp where there is a vastly larger population to draw from. Saturday: The barista comp. Nine competitors,  all at a very comparable level to each other, all were well prepared and professional, a credit to their profession as well as to the comp itself. ACT standard: High Winner ACT Barista Comp: Hugh Kelly Sunday: In the morning the Latte Art Comp. Great fun, casual, less need for the kind of formality required in the barista comp. It was interesting to see newcomers trying some very difficult art. If you were judging them for attempting such, you would give them all 100% for trying and getting reasonable results, but unfortunately, the rules call for each barista to submit  photos of what they are going to attempt and they are judged on how close they can get to their photos...so to get a reasonable resemblance of a difficult pattern is not good enough and they are marked accordingly. Newcomers would be better served to attempt simple patterns and get much closer to producing latte art that is very close to their submitted photos as they will score far better in the comp. Interestingly, 2 out of I think 7 contestants produced mirror images of their submitted photos and in the appropriate section on the judges scoring sheet, this scores a ZERO because  a mirror image of a pattern does not constitute an identical representation.  This was checked in the WBC rules first and then with Australian judges that judge internationally at the "Worlds". Winner ACT Latte Art Comp: Angus Mackey In the afternoon: The Coffee Cupping Comp. This is a blind cupping of single origins where contestants have to pick the "odd" one out of groups of 3 coffees (each group = 2 the same, 1 different), for 8 groups of coffees. There were 7 contestants including 2 pro roasters (not me) and at least one apprentice pro roaster. One of my own employees did me proud, winning the Cupping Comp with a score of 7 out of 8. Winner ACT Coffee Cupping Comp: Mick Walker. So I guess we're off to represent the ACT at the Nationals. A more detailed analysis of results is being submitted for publication in the Canberra Times soon. We could use more people to train to become accredited sensory and technical judges for these comps. Its interesting and I think rewarding, and you dont have to be in the coffee or cafe industries to do this...just have a keen interest. Come on Crem'ers.....where are you?  :)
  • I also would like to second Fresh Coffee's shout out for a bit of local support for the local team Just as many others follow there home states contestants & prospective representatives KK