frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register
After the old forum software breaking in a way that we were unable to fix, we've migrated the site to a new platform.

Some elements aren't working as we'd hoped - some avatars didn't survive the transition, and we're still having issues with attachments that weren't added as inline images, but we're hoping to have that all sorted out soon.

Who's attending MICE?

edited January 1970 in Barista news/Comps etc
Hi guys - only around 4 weeks now till MICE in Melbourne. As I mentioned some time ago, we may be able to negotiate with John from Prime Media [publisher of Beanscene] for a small space that we could use as a meeting point for crema's; the only thing is, I would only request it from John if there are enough of us wanting to make use of it...

Can I use this thread to get a rough idea of how many members are [seriously] intending to get to Melb for MICE?

cheers
A

Comments

• Yep, got my tickets sorted!
  • Heading to Melb on 22nd until Mon 27th. Have my tickets, counting down the days^-^
  • also heading over from W.A. staying thur-mon
  • Hi guys - looks like not that many attending so it wasn't worth getting an actual stand, however John at Prime Media has kindly offered that we can use the Beanscene stand as a central point, including dropping bags & things and meeting other Crema members - just identify yourself as a Crema forum member to the team on the stand. cheers A
  • A, I will be there for the day start to finish Thursday, flying in and out. If you are also there that day, will be good to catch up...you know the number (as I do yours of course). J ? BF ? Others? Regardz, A. PS., FYI I earned 3 medals in the Australian International Coffee Comp this time round , got the news day b4 yesterday....guess I better post that up somewhere in here....!
  • A. - would be good to catchup but unfortunately the Mycuppa engine does not have weekday fun programmed into its workflow logic I will probably show up with the tribe on the weekend.
  • I'll be coming down from Brisbane from Thursday to Monday with my brother JT. Not sure that I'll be at MICE for the whole time, I've got a list of cafe's that I'd like to get to while I'm down there..... I'll have to put a post up with the list asking for recent impressions or any additions. Alex
  • on 1368787577:
    A. - would be good to catchup but unfortunately the Mycuppa engine does not have weekday fun programmed into its workflow logic I will probably show up with the tribe on the weekend.
    Hehe...I have real fun programmed for the weekend which is why I we are going to MICE on Thursday ! The Brambati will take care of roasting for the day without any hassle, exactly as programmed (by moir). Alex. Its just a personal opinion but wrt these cafes that attract a following or people that come from all over to check them out.....expect (or demand) a good cup of coffee (the same one you should be able to get in any professionally run cafe). But consider, that what attracts the people is the image portrayed and the show.... The difference is these cafes are owned and run by smart people that understand the value of the show, and "the coffee" is just the particular vehicle in the market at the moment, that gives a means for the show (the barista and equipment coffee show).  This builds urban legends, icons, cafe brands, that people want to be associated with. Go there  and enjoy the show built around those elements, but don
  • on 1368781750:
    A, I will be there for the day start to finish Thursday, flying in and out. If you are also there that day, will be good to catch up...you know the number (as I do yours of course). Regardz, A. PS., FYI I earned 3 medals in the Australian International Coffee Comp this time round , got the news day b4 yesterday....guess I better post that up somewhere in here....!
    Hi FC - i hope to be there most of weekend, hopefully shooting some of the Barista Champs; yes, definitely a post on your win is required
  • on 1368787577:
    A. - would be good to catchup but unfortunately the Mycuppa engine does not have weekday fun programmed into its workflow logic I will probably show up with the tribe on the weekend.
    Hi Jeff - Unfortunately i can only make it for the weekend also; let me know if you're going to be around mid-day Sat. A
  • recent press release from MICE crew, fyi: OR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
  • sounds cool!  $20 a day reasonable too Is it a big place with enough elbow room? or will it be clogged and hard to move around? cheers! C-
  • Volunteered for WBC ended up as a competitor room monitor, anyone have an idea what that is?  :D
  • on 1368933943:
    Volunteered for WBC ended up as a competitor room monitor, anyone have an idea what that is?  :D
    Making sure that the competitors don't take any illegal substances - following them into the toilets, taking samples for drug testing, etc. :rofl: Seriously - well done, you will enjoy being part of the action.
  • I'd be keen to go just to meet some of you guys. The only face I know very well from this forum is UNM. Hope to meet more of you guys in person.
  • Will be there Thursday then off for a short holiday....
  • talking about 'monitoring' above, probably should make a slightly formal list to pass on to the Beanscene guys, so they know who to expect - will pass on all names from this thread to them tomorrow evening, so if you are interested, make sure you post here by then. cheers A
  • A, I've had to raise my eyebrows on a couple of occasions now with your references to people meeting on the beanscene stand. They are a "competitor" no? Happy to take it off forum. A.
  • Hi there - not really a problem from my point of view Attilio - while not a 'trade' magazine [like Cafe Culture] they're still more of an industry magazine, whereas Crema is much more of an [passionate enthusiast] consumer magazine... yes, absolutely happy to discuss offline... A
  • Hi guys - hope those of you who attended today had a good day - feel free to list any experiences from the event here... Looking forward to catching up with some of you guys in the weekend - my mob is 0411 160 960 cheers A
  • Worthwhile. See who is exhibiting. See what exhibitors are doing. Network with people you know and others you meet. Get new ideas. Make contact with potential new suppliers. Very high standard of exhibition.....Lesson, spend money OR hire someone with flair to design a concept / stand for you that looks good whether it costs a lot to build or not (some very well thought out inexpensive stands there that looked great) OR....DONT GO. Looking bad there is not an option. A good number of international companies represented (eg roasting equipment manufacturers, espresso machine manufacturers, and coffee growers / co-ops), meaning some people recognize this as being a premier coffee and equipment industry exhibition for the area. Just an observation / Too many standholders without proper signage, suffering it seems...Identity Crisis...to the point where we had ask a few what they were exhibiting / who are they / what do they do. That is either lack of proper design of stand OR.....done on purpose to get visitors to approach them and make contact. The latter is not really a good idea in my book. If you cant at a glance see what someone is exhibiting you are more likely to walk straight past and keep going never to return. Not for the general public, this is an industry exhibition. Note, that's nothing more than a face value commentary on the overall look of the exhibition. And I say again, Worthwhile.
  • Been yesterday will also be going today - spoke to the big boys about my coffee machine issues - hopefully will be sorted in the next day or two ;)
  • A bling bling here a bling bling there. A hipster here a hipster there. A over bright sour coffee here..... But seriously, same as what Attilo said. Very worthwhile going and mainly aimed at industry. Can think of worse ways of spending $20.
  • The weirdest, strangest, funniest thing was the marketing of the Slayer one group. Big black curtain sectioned off room and a bouncer at the front. I went up to the machine gave a look over. Grabbed the steam arm to see how well it moved to steam milk. "Excuse me sir, DO NOT touch the machine. Are you interested in buying one?" Prompting me to enter the exclusive area.... I just walked away.
  • on 1369349733:
    The weirdest, strangest, funniest thing was the marketing of the Slayer one group. Big black curtain sectioned off room and a bouncer at the front. I went up to the machine gave a look over. Grabbed the steam arm to see how well it moved to steam milk. "Excuse me sir, DO NOT touch the machine. Are you interested in buying one?" Prompting me to enter the exclusive area.... I just walked away.
    Apart from having a Slayer on display, amongst many other manufacturers machines, that stand had nothing to do with the marketing of the Slayer. That's the stand for Coffee Machine Technologies who sell and service machinery throughout Victoria. There was a soon to be released, multiboiler behind those curtains, but not a slayer.
  • Thanks to the forum members who have popped in at Reverence over the last 2 days, hope you've enjoyed the coffee.
  • BM thanks for the photos! more please
  • [attachimg=2]I spy with my little eye Bezzera Australia and Crema sponsor Chris Newsome at the 2013 MICE I have been informed that the Strega will be in full swing in the coffee making duties during this weekend at MICE - so Chris has made an open invitation to all that want to see the Strega in action and taste the results or have a go yourself He is displaying the Strega Lever and the new and Revamped Bezzera Ellese two group commercial machine [attachimg=1] KK