frame
After the old forum software breaking in a way that we were unable to fix, we've migrated the site to a new platform.

Some elements aren't working as we'd hoped - some avatars didn't survive the transition, and we're still having issues with attachments that weren't added as inline images, but we're hoping to have that all sorted out soon.

Sambal ( Indonesain side dish)

base:
1/2 cup of rice oil
500gm sliced onion
500gm shredded white cabbage
5 cloves of garlic, crushed
3-4 tbsp tomato paste
1 tsp prawn paste (Terassi)
2 tbsp cracked coriander seeds
1 level tbs ground cummin
1 level tbsp ginger
2 tbsp dark brown sugar
3 tbsp sweet soy sauce ( ketjap manis)
3 tbsp soy sauce ( ketjap asin)
1 ( or 2, or 3) tbsp sambal oelek (chilli paste, I prefer Conimex or Hermans, which is just fresh chilli and salt) OR 1/2 cup fresh red chillies, chopped fine, mixed with 1 level tbsp fine salt
1/2 cup crushed candle nuts (kemirie)

extras:
250gm cooked mince, shrimps, prawn meat, calamari, cut-up chicken,pork, beef or  ox-liver.
1 cup of shredded or flaked  coconut  ( not dessicated)
1 packet of dried shrimp or fish or  mushroom

Use a heavy frying pan or wok.
Heat oil,  on medium, add spices, toast until fragrant.
Add the prawn paste and fry ( very smelly and smoky!! )
turn up the heat, add garlic, onion and candle nuts, stir until  onions start to get brown edges.
Add the cabbage, stir through, cook for about 10 mins.
Add the rest of the ingredients, including the extras if desired, add some water ( it should be  'stew' consistency)  bring to the boil, turn down and simmer, stirring occasionally,  until the oil comes floating up... generally about 45 mins. add more water if needed...
Taste, add salt , chilli or sugar to taste.
Put into clean jam-jars, screw tops on tight.
Store in fridge, rest for about 3 days before using.... use within 4 weeks.

Personal favourite: on bread with cheese ;)

Variation: add coconutmilk instead of water.

Comments

• Oh this is good.  This will definitely be a goer when I'm next on holidays. 
  • Is the Terasi like the Malay belacan? ie a dark block of fishy goodness that you have to cut with a knife?
  • yes, it is, Egg. the darker the better. I have used fish sauce as alternative and it works too, but you miss the sweetness and the real udang flavour. made this dish in the motorhome one day... curtains smelt like  toasted dead fish for weeks :D :doh:
  • I know that smell only too well. My other half comes from Malaysia, and she uses belacan in a few things she cooks. I don't mind it occassionally, but would prefer it if she never added it to fried rice again.
  • Traditional flavour enhancer :) I really never make fried rice at home, cannot get the wok hot enough without setting the fire-alarms off... and with less heat, the smokey flavour is just not there. But an Indonesian 10 main dish/15 sides  rice-buffet (rijst tafel)... I'll cook that once every 2-3 years. Takes me a week to prepare, and at least a year to get over it.. then the cravings start again ;) Very addictive, Malay/Indon flavours!
  • Late reply, since I was on this section. That looks like a great recipe. Just love rystafel (Afrikaans). But where do you get the Conimex stuff? JL
  • Conimex is now available in most supermarkets, Asian section. ;) L
  • Hehehe, not in Albany! Do you perhaps know of a website? J