frame
After the old forum software breaking in a way that we were unable to fix, we've migrated the site to a new platform.

Some elements aren't working as we'd hoped - some avatars didn't survive the transition, and we're still having issues with attachments that weren't added as inline images, but we're hoping to have that all sorted out soon.

Sunday with Old Grumpy and coffee toys

edited January 1970 in Social
Don't know  where he takes his name from,  Andrew is not old nor grumpy

What a great guy, he drove out of  his way to help me out bringing all his  portable gear.
( Pharos grinder and Rossa espresso maker)

I expected a step up with the bigger burr grinder and there was, mostly with much,much better mouth feel, creamy smooth flat whites on my machine using my same  beans that I know well.

We ground up a shot that looked like a spectacular god shot on the nakid using my S24, but alas the shot was, although perfectly extracted had a burnt taste to it.  This is most likely why we could not get the fruit notes I  was looking for on my machine  with his  grinder.

The big surprise came however when he pulled shots on the Rossa, that crazy thing wound out the cleanest sweetest shots I have ever tasted with Zero bitterness. It was easy to pick out the fruit notes and it Put my S24 to shame. He did not do it every time but could do it once he dialed in my beans.

I have sense turned down the boiler pressure to lower the temp at the brew head on the  S24 I checked it roughly just using a milk  thermo and got 96+ deg. Now after winding the pressurestat down 3 times I get about 93 deg.  Haven't had time to test more shots yet.

If we had more time I would  have loved to grind one with my Rosco for his Rossa that would have  told me more about my grinder.

I think he has a great combo for manual shot brewing, would  be hard to beat with any machine, just a bit of a fiddle factor.

so the journey continues.

Comments

• I got a shock when I met Andrew also.  I too was expecting someone old and grumpy.  Perhaps a Mod will one day 'flip out' and among other names change his name to Smartfunnykind!! I too spent Sunday with a coffee buddy whose kindness is inestimable in fixing my A8 Grinder (nothing wrong wit it except the idiot owner) and wiring a new plug on my Pavoni.  It was great to catch up with the legendary AM (Mark) and it's guys like the AMs, KKs and OGs who share their knowledge that make this strange pursuit all the richer!
  • you are a mod Brett lets change his name to "good guy"
  • Pity I missed it, but ended up ill the night before with some gastro bug. :( Would have been great to see the Pharos and Rosco in action and meet Ol Grumpy.  Maybe next time!
  • Keep that up guys and you'll have to change it to 'Fat Head'.... Or 'Head won't fit through doorway'... 'Twas my pleasure indeed... And many a fine brew was enjoyed by all.... Hey @Brett, how's @AM goin, any chance he might pop in here again any time soon?
  • on 1389096712:
    Keep that up guys and you'll have to change it to 'Fat Head'.... Or 'Head won't fit through doorway'... 'Twas my pleasure indeed... And many a fine brew was enjoyed by all.... Hey @Brett, how's @AM goin, any chance he might pop in here again any time soon?
    Hey @niceguywithabighead ; :rofl: AM is looking really well.  I don't think he'd have the time currently to pop in here!  But you can certainly catch him occasionally on Facebook.
  • He's looking for a new job too... AM's espresso workshop might be open soon! Yay! I do miss his banter on here, he's always up for a laugh, but he's flat out with family and work which we can all understand.
  • All you guys blowing smoke at each other....... We all need another gathering... Every one bring a PF and a full used basket and we can play - clean the dirty PF in  Alex's wading pool. Dogs are not to be harmed...
  • Actually, if we're talking name changes, I'm putting in a vote for C-man being changed to 'Charming Host'... Thanks Craig for a fun afternoon cranking out lots of shots... My beans were a bit past their prime, so Craig graciously cracked open his impressive stash of MyCuppa beans... Between the Rancillo and Rossa we had a steady stream of various brews going back to the chief tasters.... Our wives, of course... From a citrus splash, to a Latte rated better and sweeter than 'mothers milk'... It was a lot of fun and I think we all enjoyed ourselves and learnt a thing or three as well... Yes, I agree, there should be more Crema Socials... I'm in!
  • If and when I ever finish this place we could have one here.
  • on 1389096712:
    Keep that up guys and you'll have to change it to 'Fat Head'.... Or 'Head won't fit through doorway'... 'Twas my pleasure indeed... And many a fine brew was enjoyed by all.... Hey @Brett, how's @AM goin, any chance he might pop in here again any time soon?
    I thought you were going to be @ BeanGreen's open day ?
  • on 1389189416:
    Every one bring a PF and a full used basket and we can play - clean the dirty PF in  Alex's wading pool. Dogs are not to be harmed...
    I do believe that "wading" cannot take place in nipple deep water. That is called plunging. Wading is limited to testicle depth.  Please use the correct terminology if you wish to shit stir me  :rofl:
  • on 1393730505:
    I thought you were going to be @ BeanGreen's open day ?
    Yes, I had the best of intentions, but unfortunately work and moving house got in the way. I've only just walked in the door from today's effort as well... The joys of self-employment... And the completion of 'moving house'... Worlds worst job, that one.... 12 years of junk to sort.... Although much to my wife's pleasure I finally got rid of my 5 tonne excavator ( read front yard 'curio'... And a couple of trailers... And a couple of cars... ) although to be fair, I've still got 6 car accommodation at the new place, but our vehicles are all out in the driveway because the sheds are all full of the best of my prize possessions... :Sigh So many projects.... So little time.... Moved to Alexandra Hills.... Found a great little take-away in Wellington Point last night... "Roasties American BBQ".... Hot diggety Dog... Bout 9.00 PM last night my youngest son... 190+ cm and still growin...and I cleaned out the grill and put away a kilo or so of finger-licken good Smokey BBQ Ribs, scrummy onion rings, Philli Fries, Mac & cheese... and my wife hit up a Louisana Po Boy- told me it was the best damn burger she ever had! All washed down with 'Squirt Soda'.... The Po is made with a brisket cut of meat... Chewing is strictly optional... It melts in your mouth... I walked to the car.... Very Slowly.... Lest I burst.... But well sated... Tiny shop at the northern end of the village... Coupla doors up from Campo's.... You'd never pick it... There's only two tables and 4 chairs.... Because that's all the room they've got... It's literally a 'hole in the wall'.... But man-o-man... Ribs to die for...
  • I really miss that kind of food......
  • Oh wow... Real American fare.. mac and Cheese.. Ribs... Brisket.... A good lie down after consumption... I rue my breakfast! >:/
  • I have always thought a good rib BBQ would do well here
  • on 1393762911:
    Yes, I had the best of intentions, but unfortunately work and moving house got in the way. I've only just walked in the door from today's effort as well...
    So when do we catch up ?