frame
After the old forum software breaking in a way that we were unable to fix, we've migrated the site to a new platform.

Some elements aren't working as we'd hoped - some avatars didn't survive the transition, and we're still having issues with attachments that weren't added as inline images, but we're hoping to have that all sorted out soon.

Ariston_MCA_10 Coffee machine - In wall

edited January 1970 in Projects & Rebuilds
LOL

A relative got stung $700 for repairs and 2 weeks later it failed again. After much to and fro they gave up and it has sat in the wall doing nothing...

I have taken it on as a small project to keep me off the street; until I can get back onto the bigger two group lever project.

Other than saying bin it; has any one had any experience with one of these units...

No error code that I can see, and it just stops after the grind and the puck is moved into place.  It does get to temp and the steam does work...  Yet to strip and get inside, but have not been able to find and technical manual or drawings as it is also a superseded model.  However the owner would like it as the kitchen is set up with a number of Kitchen items from the same manufacturer and are not happy with having a funny hole in the wall.

Ariston_MCA_10.jpg

Comments

• What a pain!!  These things look so compact and sleek but I've not yet heard of someone who's completely happy with one of these types of appliance.  Hope you can work some magic for them!
  • Overprices rubbish.  Plenty for sale up here at Noosa where they are sold on due to lack of use after someone put them into their million dollar mansions! lol. What's the make and model etc?  Give us some info to work with. :) Also what work was done before for $700?  You could by a decent second hand Oscar for that! lol They could turn the hole into a bread bin type area.  A cabinet maker could sort it out easy and match colours etc.
  • on 1398860064:
    Overprices rubbish.  Plenty for sale up here at Noosa where they are sold on due to lack of use after someone put them into their million dollar mansions! lol. What's the make and model etc?  Give us some info to work with. :) Also what work was done before for $700?  You could by a decent second hand Oscar for that! lol They could turn the hole into a bread bin type area.  A cabinet maker could sort it out easy and match colours etc.
    1: Make and model  Ariston  MCA 10 2: What work was done by a so called top service centre in Brisbane..  Not much real work, but lets change a board or two and charge lots..... I am appalled at what I saw and found -  Absolute disgraceful...  Can not say any thing nice so will shut up. 2A:  I believe I have found the introduced fault  that may have even bean the main problem; post a service... Kinked tubing  :pan :stir :doh: :head: :tearhair: 3: Once I finish cleaning and replacing seals and the usual lube, I will fire it up and maybe show you how the coffee is ground / delivered and then poured.  No fake crema in this baby.... I would suggest that if these were serviced / looked after by some one other than monkeys; they would not be too bad.... Then again good help is not easy to find and many even winge about paying chimps.
  • Try these manuals.  a MCA15 but might be close?  At least it tells you how to use the machine. http://www.manualslib.com/brand/ariston/coffee-maker.html What do you mean by it stops when the puck moves into place?  What does it do, does the display show anything while running? Have you primed the water circuit? Does the pump work?  It should pump to fill the boiler at some point. Is there a blockage in the group head, that's where I would be looking. The MCA15 grinds, then prefuses, then pours. These sort of machines are effectively landfill items because of the support from the manufacturers.  Once they are out of warranty the care factor is out the window.  Same with any other white good manufacturer. Why don't you call Ariston direct?  http://aristonbrand.com/customer-care/contact-us/ and try their customer service "who pride themselves on meeting and exceeding customer
  • A family member has the Miele version as it complimented the other appliances in her new kitchen. It too has developed a fault, and has not been used for a long time. I once rented a house that had an AEG unit installed, but never touched it. They require loads of maintenance by someone who knows what they are doing and are not a suitable product for beginners. I hope they have lost their popularity. Given our improved warranty laws, I would not sell these products. While lack of service or proper maintenance can be blamed on the demise of these units, an astute owner could make a case that they should last a reasonable time and be able to produce a reasonable duty of service. If they are breaking down after a 2-3 years, while ovens, and microwaves are lasting 10+ years, the expected life should be at least 5 years before any major repair. As a side note, out of warranty does not apply. When push comes to shove, warranty claims can be made regardless of date of purchase, as products are expected to last a reasonable amount of time. I have pushed this envelope hard and the manufacturers have complied, even though the first words they said was, out of warranty. If you know what you are talking about, they will submit to logic and reasonable claims.
  • Problem confirmed Kinked Tubing.... This unit uses a ram to slide the puck into place and then a lead screw (20mm dia solid brass) drives the cylinder down and then pumps the water. Problem was that the main tubing to the drive cylinder was KINKED.  It was put in the wrong way and then had the Steam Nut tightened onto it. There was some service done on it about 2 years ago, then intermittent problems - Service was for a control board and then powersupply = $700.    After a big bun fight the service people said that Ariston has said it could be the solenoid valve (that drove the cylinder) playing up....  But the owner was not going to spend even more $$$  So since mid to late 2013 it has sat unused. I got in excess of 300g of ground coffee out of the case and the boards and power supply were covered in the crap...  Those who serviced never even bothered to clean or look as to why...  A small guard had dropped off OR been removed at some stage and thus excess grinds were just going every where but the grind shute. I also found a number of screws and bold and washers !!!!  In addition the Water pump and other items were held in place by cable ties...    Would do sort of the same to get me out of trouble but for a paying customer !!!! Over all it is a solid unit and with some quality beans could make a decent coffee (single shot) and the steam is intense... But regardless of that and that it ran for 5 years with out any TLC or servicing (not a bad effort) Without decent support; the best machine is junk if no one can fix it, when it does need help.... Problem is like everything, wages and time and parts are expensive and we are the consumer society that wants it for nothing and yesterday... Might put some feelers out, as I am sure there would be more than a few of these out there not working due to monkey service people and excessive costs...
  • on 1398928375:
    Might put some feelers out, as I am sure there would be more than a few of these out there not working due to monkey service people and excessive costs...
    You could start your own service business right now!  Everyone that has ever dealt with you knows how good you are. :)  Just avoid the "warranty" service stuff that doesn't pay.