frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register
After the old forum software breaking in a way that we were unable to fix, we've migrated the site to a new platform.

Some elements aren't working as we'd hoped - some avatars didn't survive the transition, and we're still having issues with attachments that weren't added as inline images, but we're hoping to have that all sorted out soon.

MICE Melbourne 15-18th May?

edited January 1970 in Social
Hi guys, anyone going to be going along to this? I'll arrive on Sat afternoon [17th may] & hope to be shooting the latte Art finals [also see press release under 'Barista Comps'] on the Sunday morning.

A

Comments

• Flying down on Wednesday for the trade days then the events. Planned breakfasts at all the best Melb. coffee spots then on to the expo. 6 days of being highly caffeinated  :coffee2: Chester
  • I'll be there Thursday. Maybe Friday too :) headed down from Sydney yesterday. 3 days of golf the the expo. Happy days!
  • I was intending to be at MICE all day Sun, but was actually thinking of doing a mini 'cafe crawl' on the Sat afternoon to check out some of latest Melb cafe offerings: so far I've got the following on my list:
      [li]Admiral Cheng Ho[/li] [li] new Axil (need to check location)[/li] [li]Proud Mary [not new, but can't go through Melb without going there].[/li] [li]Workshop, and hopefully Pat's new place...[/li] [li]Grafali coffee Roasters...[/li]
    any other great new options, please add to the list, and if anyone's interested in joining up on Sat. afternoon, please ad name and pm mobile number cheers A
  • Our current schedule Wednesday Fly to Melbourne have coffee in the CBD Thursday:- Breakfast at Dukes Coffee Roasters, extra coffee at Market Lane onto MICE Friday :-  Breakfast and coffee at Workshop Brothers onto MICE Saturday :- 7 seeds and Auction rooms onto Mice Sunday :- Breakfast at Proud Marys (love this place) then check out Admiral Cheng Ho, to Mice or not to MICE? Monday ;- Breakfast at Oak room and onto Resident Cafe Tuesday:- Fly home, detox  ;) Going to be pretty caffeinated but will still find a few afternoon coffee only spots, St Ali, Sensory Lab, League of honest coffee, Brother Baba Budan. All in all a great week of coffee ahead, and happy to meet up with some Cremas for a social one Chester
  • im working 70 plus hrs per week at the moment which makes it hard to get away but Im hoping to make it to MICE at some stage!
  • on 1399940920:
    I was intending to be at MICE all day Sun, but was actually thinking of doing a mini 'cafe crawl' on the Sat afternoon to check out some of latest Melb cafe offerings: so far I've got the following on my list:
      [li]Admiral Cheng Ho[/li] [li] new Axil (need to check location)[/li] [li]Proud Mary [not new, but can't go through Melb without going there].[/li] [li]Workshop, and hopefully Pat's new place...[/li] [li]Grafali coffee Roasters...[/li]
    any other great new options, please add to the list, and if anyone's interested in joining up on Sat. afternoon, please ad name and pm mobile number cheers A
    There's a new Axil on Flinders Lane, a few metres west of Exhibition, but it was still being fitted out last week, so check first.
  • on 1400059081:
    There's a new Axil on Flinders Lane, a few metres west of Exhibition, but it was still being fitted out last week, so check first.
    As I rode past it this morning they had a sign on the door saying 'Tomorrow'.
  • on 1400108857:
    As I rode past it this morning they had a sign on the door saying 'Tomorrow'.
    Ok thanks Jonathon; realise this doesn't quite fit with the schedule that Cc-22 put up [above] but since I won't be around until Sat afternoon,  can anyone let me know if they want to visit 2 or all 3 of the following on Sat mid-afternoon: - Grafali [Richmond] - Admiral Cheng Ho [Abbotsford] - Workshop Bros [Glen Huntly] cheers A
  • And just to confirm, an hour ago the sign on Axil still said tomorrow. They've got a Spirit, but I was driving this time so couldn't see any more without crashing.
  • Well we attended our first day at MICE 2014 today, wow four days  showcasing around 150 exhibitors, what a great colabiration of all things coffee (and tea) .  It was a lot to take in on our first lap around the expo, shiny machines, little roasters, big roasters every grinder you can think of and lots lots more. Espresso shots, filter coffee, pour overs, cold drip, coffee pods, cupping sessions, green beans and the aroma of fresh brewed coffee permeating through the entire building, I think one could become over caffeinated just through absorption . After recovering from the inital overload to our senses we started delving a little deeper into what was on offer. All the major players in coffee are represented here from machine manufacturers like LaMarzocco, Slayer, Expobar, SanRemo and the list goes on. Probat, Diedrich, HasGaranti and IMF. Mazzer, Mahlkonig, Anfim and plenty we have never heard of before.  Alongside all the equipment manufacturers are the coffee producers from the wholesalers to roasting companies and large coffee shops, I estimate in 80% of the booths you could get a coffee of some sort, we behaved ourselves and only indulged in 5 espressos, 2 pour overs,and 1 cold drip ( must confess had a double shot mac at Dukes with breakfast then another double at Market Lane before arriving at the expo) Why are my hands shaking  :question: As well as all the great coffee and equipment add in the  World Latte Art, World Coffee in Good Spirits and World Cup Tasters Championships in conjunction with the AASCA coffee championships, as well as the Australian Barista Championship, and other events, the expo is packed a plenty with things to see, taste and play with. Tomorrow we are going out for breakfast again then returning to the expo,  I have a date with a Slayer that is demanding my attention.  Will take some photos and post up for those that are interested. Let me know if anybody has something in particular they want to know about or a picture of something special they want to see.  :thumb: Chester
  • CC Take some photos of Lever machines please  :thumb:
  • Only saw a couple but will do KK  :thumb: Chester
  • Thanks CC!! For those of us that can't get there your write-up is most appreciated.
  • I walked around for two hours yesterday. Had a chat to a few people but didn't sample any coffees. I got there at 1015am and it looked like people were still getting into the swing. I ogled the 1 group slayer and a few small commercial lever machines plus a small roaster or two. Had grand plans to go back today and take pics, sample wares etc but it wasn't to be as I'm stuck down on the belleraine peninsula with no transport :( flying home to sydney tomorrow. I'll definitely head back for mice 2015. I think you do need a second day. The first was just an all out assault on the eyes! So much to see :)
  • KK, I can't seem to upload photos La San Marco had a hybrid 3 group (2 standard groups, 1 Leva) which is an interesting concept and La Nuova Era have a new single group Leva using a Rancillio group which looked not bad. http://www.lasanmarco.com.au/coffee-news/la-san-marco-duale/
  • on 1400220927:
    KK, I can't seem to upload photos La San Marco had a hybrid 3 group (2 standard groups, 1 Leva) which is an interesting concept and La Nuova Era have a new single group Leva using a Rancillio group which looked not bad. http://www.lasanmarco.com.au/coffee-news/la-san-marco-duale/
    New members need to post at least once to be able to upload photos Normally that post is an introduction post ;) So for the members I will post it for you Attachment not found.
  • Sorry, hi my name is Tim, live in Daylesford, Sales rep for Custom Coffees in Bendigo and used to go under the name 'La San Marco Melbourne' but have moved onto greener pastures (after 9 years!!) and felt I needed a new identity as I enjoy this forum from a personal perspective. My interest in the 'Duale' is not because I used to work for them but more for the fact it's a bit different and I had heard talk of it before leaving. They also have a single group Leva on the way. I enjoyed MICE yesterday, got a great run down of the San Remo Opera. That is a serious piece of machinery and I'll be interested if the high end machine consumers will give it a go. Attached is the La Nouva Era Leva and the Duale
  • Thanks for posting all!  I haven't yet seen a machine that I'd trade my Diadema for so keep trying ;)
  • I'll be walking around this afternoon, but I need to find my spare camera first!
  • Something tells me CC could be returning with a very expensive new toy.
  • on 1400289650:
    Something tells me CC could be returning with a very expensive new toy.
    Hmmm, he might have to host the next gathering  :thumb:
  • Hhhmmmm Might be the next sunshine coast host, you say. Might be some speculation of the silver streak getting an upgrade? Might be some speculation that CC were seen putting some serious time in at the slayer stands? Did they talk about custom paint, or timber sides? hmmmm,  love speculation.
  • What about some photos for KK Wega lever, had some nice shots off this Attachment not found.Attachment not found.
  • on 1400314669:
    Hhhmmmm Might be the next sunshine coast host, you say. Might be some speculation of the silver streak getting an upgrade? Might be some speculation that CC were seen putting some serious time in at the slayer stands? Did they talk about custom paint, or timber sides? hmmmm,  love speculation.
    Darn you... Now I've got drool all over my ipad!  Who knew that something called the ipad isn't absorbent. 
  • Brett I understand, I have worn a hipster scarf all week to soak up the drool from all the bling on show.
  • I'd love to buy the 8 group, install it at home then post pictures with a complaint on coffeesnobs that I dont think it's consistent enough for my two lattes a day.  They'd freak out...  >:D
  • Well a very successful MICE, big crowds over the public days and lots of support and appreciation for all those competing. Stacks of great deals from most of the exhibitors and they were still showing enthusiasm even on day 4. Couple of things we bought Bonavita variable temp goose neck kettle, cheaper than wholesale, perfect for our pour over. A few really cheap rattleware jugs. :thumb: