frame
After the old forum software breaking in a way that we were unable to fix, we've migrated the site to a new platform.

Some elements aren't working as we'd hoped - some avatars didn't survive the transition, and we're still having issues with attachments that weren't added as inline images, but we're hoping to have that all sorted out soon.

Coldbrew observations

edited January 1970 in Other Brewing Methods
So I've spent the last while working on all things coldbrew, everything from brew times, temperature, bottles vs tap water, Co2/nitrogen, pressure is next on the list along with a few other things... the list goes on. Anyway I was emptying a keg of 3 day nitro brew and decided to bottle some, put it in the fridge and forgot abt it for a day...actually 3 days. I wasn't expecting any of the nitrogen/bubbles to hang around but I did get a bit of a surprise. I went to pour a glass and found a load of particles suspended in the brew. Thought it was coffee grinds at first but soon realised it was the oil/fats from the coffee, and there was a lot. I've emptied kegs with 10 day nitrobrew and found no oils so I'm assuming it's got something to do with the degassing of the brew!This hasn't happened before with my regular cold brew so I'm guessing that the nitrogen/Co2 gas is responsible.
I'm pretty sure the more I think about it the more questions I'm gonna have,just can't think of any at the moment:)

Comments

• Wow... What an interesting discovery.  It could be that the oils are coming out of suspension with the lowered temperature, clumping but not settling on the top due to the carbonation.  Like a carbonated beef stock ;)
  • on 1432021177:
    Wow... What an interesting discovery.  It could be that the oils are coming out of suspension with the lowered temperature, clumping but not settling on the top due to the carbonation.  Like a carbonated beef stock ;)
    wonder what would happen if you re-nitrogened them? if the oils would break down in the mix again?
  • I've also done a lot of experimentation with cold drip coffee in the last little while as im retailing my own cold drip coffee product. of course i've done 100s of batches previously in cafes as well as at home (if not more) but now im meticulously logging each one and measyring results and Ive been playing with water levels, brew ratios, grind quality, bean types, drip rate, etc - pretty sure im on a winning formula with my current batch :)