frame
After the old forum software breaking in a way that we were unable to fix, we've migrated the site to a new platform.

Some elements aren't working as we'd hoped - some avatars didn't survive the transition, and we're still having issues with attachments that weren't added as inline images, but we're hoping to have that all sorted out soon.

IMS Competizione Filter Baskets

ashash
edited January 1970 in Accessories
A few weeks ago I had a couple of new toys arrive for the Londinium I. A pair of IMS baskets, a Competizione B70 2T 26.5H and one called simply 'The Single'. The B70 basket is the one I've spent most time getting to know.

My regular basket before this was a ridge-less Synesso double basket which I found quite easy to get my distribution and dose right. I have been quite happy with this basket, preferring it to the VST double which I have around the place. I found the VST quite finicky to get used to with the limited times that I'm making espresso (probably 4 -5 a day during week days). I was hoping that the IMS basket would give me the best of both worlds, the ease of the Synesso and the flavour distinction of the VST.

So far my hopes have been proved right. It is more finicky than the Synesso, but a lot less than the VST. While the flavours aren't quite as good as the VST, the extra attention required for the dose and distribution have been worth it, as the flavours are quite superior to the Synesso IMHO. Funnily enough I've gone back to a style of distribution and tamping that I last used when I owned a Giotto.

Physically, the ridged IMS basket sits between the straight sided VST and the gently curved Synesso, and I think this has a lot to do with the improved favours that I'm tasting, as it compares well to the VST (when I get that one right!). IMS have their own propriety way of sizing, locating and shaping the holes in the bottom of the basket which would also play a part in the way it delivers the  flavours.

I've just replaced the seals in my Londinium I today so I'll be going back and revising myself across all three baskets and see if my initial observations over the last couple of weeks still ring true.

In the photos attached, the order from left to right is, the IMS B70 2T 26.5h, VST 20g and Synesso double. I've also included a quick shot of 'The Single'. 'The Singles's claim to fame is that it doesn't require a change in grind setting when swapping between a double basket and itself. I haven't played all that much with to see if that claim is accurate yet, and probably won't for another couple of weeks while I play with the other three baskets.

Comments

• I'm loving the IMS shower screen so these are tempting.  I'm still using the VST and find it the best and most consistent of my baskets.  Hmmm....
  • Yes it is worth a hmmm... I think it is more forgiving than the VST basket, for only a small loss in flavour. And I mean small. From what experiments I've done this afternoon after posting this thread, the average punter would be hard pressed to tell the difference. As for likelihood of 'God' shots, well this basket has helped me get closer to nirvana, quicker, than the VST basket. When I get it right with the VST, it is worth it. But getting it right is the tricky part. This basket makes it easier to get there.  :coffee2: As I said previously, I'm making 4 - 5 espresso based drinks a day, so I'm by no means proficient with the VST. In fact, I find the VST painful to use daily. My Synesso basket has given me good consistent service, and I'll probably keep on using it for milk based drinks. This IMS basket, coming from the Synesso, makes a more flavoursome coffee easier than the VST, IMHO. It's repeatable, and has more tolerance in it compared to the VST. At the moment I'm using 17g per shot in it, which is a bit more than the Synesso holds (15g for my machine), which also may bias my flavoursome comments a fair bit. I Find the VST very demanding, but if you get it right, it rewards you. Getting it right is the problem. If I was pulling 100 shots a day, this might not be an issue, but I'm a home espresso lover / hack roaster. I don't want a difficult basket to get close to my personal heaven. This basket suits me. It might not suit everyone, but I think people who use a VST and struggle for a consistent coffee should give this basket a go. Just make sure you get the right one for your machine. The '26.5h' part relates to the clearance from the bottom of the basket to the shower screen, and IMS do have a couple of variants that may be more suitable to your machine. There are available 24.5h and 28.5h variants. The 'h' refers to the height of the basket. I think it's definately worth considering. :thumb:
  • I'm a big fan of the espresso parts custom baskets - also made using laser cut technology, and less finicky than the VST baskets Works great with the laser cut shower screens as well! P
  • I've got a set of them espresso parts once, love them.  Cheap too if you buy direct and share postage with yer mates!  Paying $30 for a basket just doesn't seem right.  :P Mind you the espresso parts laser made shower screens are $100+  ???  What's going on there?
  • The IMS shower screens are brilliant! So much cleaner and better and more even distribution of water-flow!
  • on 1425381187:
    The IMS shower screens are brilliant! So much cleaner and better and more even distribution of water-flow!
    But, do they affect what's in the cup? I've been tempted, have resisted so far. ;)
  • Hi DB, from my experience yes!  By much, no!  It's about cleanliness and ease of repeatability.
  • Hi guys, I ordered an IMS competition shower screen yesterday and can't wait to swap out my bone stock screen that's in there at present. Im aiming for improved cleanliness and better water distribution on the screen. Ive been using a synesso ridgleless double basket and wondering if its worth pairing the new shower screen with an IMS basket?
    on 1425099446:
    So far my hopes have been proved right. It is more finicky than the Synesso, but a lot less than the VST. While the flavours aren't quite as good as the VST, the extra attention required for the dose and distribution have been worth it, as the flavours are quite superior to the Synesso IMHO. Funnily enough I've gone back to a style of distribution and tamping that I last used when I owned a Giotto. Physically, the ridged IMS basket sits between the straight sided VST and the gently curved Synesso, and I think this has a lot to do with the improved favours that I'm tasting, as it compares well to the VST (when I get that one right!). IMS have their own propriety way of sizing, locating and shaping the holes in the bottom of the basket which would also play a part in the way it delivers the  flavours.
    Question for Ash: how are you finding the IMS basket after a couple months of usage? Cheers Ron
  • Good call... I wouldn't be without mine!  I can't imagine ever going back!
  • I purchased an IMS shower screen for the Strega whilst at MICE this year and agree with Brett on the improvement level; noticeable (expected  ::))but not a great deal. I believe I'm getting a better distribution in the group and felt the pours were better right from its first use. I'm still using the standard Bezzera double basket along with an older treble from my Minore III previously. Coupled with the BNZ grinder, I've been stoked with my 'in the cup' results to date.  :coffee2: Maybe I'll pair it with an IMS basket some time in the future, but as I said, happy in coffee land ATM.  :thumb:
  • Thanks for the feedback gents. I'll let you know on Monday how it goes. I'll hold off on the ims basket for now.
  • What's all this 'cleanliness' stuff? If you want 'cleanliness ... drink a glass of filtered water... or a cup of herbal tea. Crikey ... I must be this bloke  >:D ... cause I like the get down and dirty gear ---> coffee  :stir  :coffee2:
  • on 1432885500:
    What's all this 'cleanliness' stuff? If you want 'cleanliness ... drink a glass of filtered water... or a cup of herbal tea. Crikey ... I must be this bloke  >:D ... cause I like the get down and dirty gear ---> coffee  :stir  :coffee2:
    it must be a 'new age guy' thing aligning with 3rd wave hype :)
  • Ya know what they say, cleanliness is next to godliness. :stir
  • Look what came in the mail this morning. Tried it out to see how the water distribution is and straight off I can state the 'shower' looks more even than my bone stock Vbm screen.
  • Noice mate.  Let us know if you can discern any difference.  I reckon they're great!
  • on 1433146450:
    Noice mate.  Let us know if you can discern any difference.  I reckon they're great!
    Haven't done a comparison yet with the current batch of beans. But planning to do. So far the coffee just tastes like nice coffee so I'm happy. [emoji3]
  • on 1433146450:
    Noice mate.  Let us know if you can discern any difference.  I reckon they're great!
    hi mate. Did you notice that once you installed the IMS screen the portafilter locks in the group head a bit more snug. I have to use a little more force to lock in the PF at the 6 o'clock position. I think the shower screen lip where the gasket sits might be a little thicker than my stock vbm.
  • To be completely honest, no!  There was no discernible difference between the Diadema/BFC in regards to fit or lock.  Function however the IMS spreads the water more evenly across the screen and the VSTs replicate this spread far better.  Taste-wise there's not much in it with VST/IMS but consistency and repeatability is far better!
  • on 1433235024:
    To be completely honest, no!  There was no discernible difference between the Diadema/BFC in regards to fit or lock.  Function however the IMS spreads the water more evenly across the screen and the VSTs replicate this spread far better.  Taste-wise there's not much in it with VST/IMS but consistency and repeatability is far better!
    thanks for the feedback Brett. Yes water distro is excellent. Fit/lock I can live with. It's a little tight but no biggie.
  • Could you get a slightly smaller width group seal? Are you using an 8 or 8.5mm? Try the next size down.
  • on 1433238717:
    Could you get a slightly smaller width group seal? Are you using an 8 or 8.5mm? Try the next size down.
    im thinking the same if it starts annoying me. I'll grab a cafelat seal. Think my current seal is 8.5mm.
  • on 1433238889:
    im thinking the same if it starts annoying me. I'll grab a cafelat seal. Think my current seal is 8.5mm.
    That's pretty thick.  I use 8mm seals. 
  • on 1433239996:
    That's pretty thick.  I use 8mm seals.
    i took another measurement. This time it's 8mm. I need accurate callipers. I just tried all my baskets too and it's only a bit tight on the synesso basket. The others are fine. I closely inspected the shower screen lip and it does differ slightly from the stock screen. No biggie but good to know. I'm just being picky but I'll order an 8mm silicone cafelat as they will compress better with ease than stock rubber.
  • Further report on the IMS shower screen. I'm finding I have to updose a little now as the screen is more flat than my stock VBM (was more convex) - therefore the IMS is shorter. Up dosing Around 1/2 a gram if I'm being picky. But once my cafelat 8mm group seal arrives it might neutralise it.
  • on 1433390512:
    might neutralise it.
    Isn't that what you do to cats. :stir
  • on 1433393110:
    Isn't that what you do to cats. :stir
    haha. Yep Well the cafelat 8mm group seal (red) came in the mail today and it's the same size as my current stock one. But as it's made of silicone the portafilter locks in place at the 6pm position easier. Now everything is back to normal. Lesson learnt. Replace one item and it usually has a knock on effect to other items. In this case the IMS screen ended up costing me another $10 for the group seal.