frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register
After the old forum software breaking in a way that we were unable to fix, we've migrated the site to a new platform.

Some elements aren't working as we'd hoped - some avatars didn't survive the transition, and we're still having issues with attachments that weren't added as inline images, but we're hoping to have that all sorted out soon.

The Nikon Thread

edited January 1970 in Off-topic
a thread for all things Nikon...

Ive purchased a new d7200 with some glass and I'm getting working my way around this beast.

question for owners of Nikon DLSRs...

why when recording video is there a 20min max record time?

Comments

• on 1439821534:
    a thread for all things Nikon... Ive purchased a new d7200 with some glass and I'm getting working my way around this beast. question for owners of Nikon DLSRs... why when recording video is there a 20min max record time?
    I have a Canon but the same rules apply For Canon 1080p video clips canot be longer than 12 minutes due to the 4GB size limit in the FAT32 file system of DSLRs ( need to confirm the 12 min for 1080p on mine ) And a secondary issue is overheating processors KK
  • well done nice camera. and thanks KK for answering the question for all of us that also wondered why but never bothered to ask...
  • on 1439864124:
    I have a Canon but the same rules apply For Canon 1080p video clips canot be longer than 12 minutes due to the 4GB size limit in the FAT32 file system of DSLRs ( need to confirm the 12 min for 1080p on mine ) And a secondary issue is overheating processors KK
    thanks for the answer KK, makes sense.... now on to getting my head around the AF functions of this camera. 3D tracking? I'm old school in that I set my AF point and focus. back to the camera...
  • Dslrs have buffer over-run issues so they're limited to 20 or 30 mins for protection of data.  There are firmware hacks out there but why would you!  Happy Nikon Nikkor thread  :thumb:
  • Quote from: Brett H on Yesterday at 09:46 PM Is that f1.8? Answer from GeekKopi: 52.5mm equivalent at f2.2??? How's my math?  The DOF looks a bit deeper than that....? yes ts a 52.5mm equivalent, f-stop was at 1.8, the DOF would look deeper due to the smaller sensor. i thought long and hard about the full frame 35mm but comparing apsc/full frame to medium/large format, they are not so different :P (i keep telling myself)
  • Yes!  The big difference between the Full Fram and Crop Sensors (I own both) is that pictures with the Full Frame Cameras are much, much more expensive  :rofl: In all seriousness I had a 1.3Megapixel Ricoh camera back in the 90s that took wonderful 6x4s.  A great picture is the difference, not the format or the brand.  Except Canon.  Their Pro stuff is awesome but I have great difficulty using their mid-range gear.  SHOTS FIRED in the Nikon thread!!!
  • Here's a another test pic - my Staffy in the park yesterday. Couldn't get her to sit still so I had one hand on the camera and one on her collar. 35mm, 1/640, f1.8, iso100
  • Animals are tricky.  Black and white poodles in the same shot is quite a pretty challenge according to my wife.
  • Coincidentally, today I need to take some shots of a horse to send in with an application for breed registration, so it will be interesting to see how it goes. Expecting it to be a lot less stressful than photographing the wife's dogs...they just wont stay still for a second  ;D Warning however, I will be using a canon ;)
  • Post processing: For those of you that are not using Lightroom CC for post processing but instead are using standalone Lightroom 6.1.x you will notice that the dehaze presets are not available. I found a link to a developer that has put together these presets to be added manually to Lightroom and they are based on the same algorithms for those found in the newest CC version. Download free here: http://petapixel.com/2015/06/24/this-preset-pack-brings-real-dehaze-to-lightroom-6-1/
  • Hi Brett. Quick question. I don't usually use auto ISO but when I'm lazy and want to shoot with it on in P-mode I'm trying to figure out how to limit the upper end. I want to set a limit of 400 and if I need anything above that then I manually set it. I've looked into the menu but somewhat confused. Maybe it can't be done?
  • Yep, easy... There is a menu setting which lets you set that under shooting menu from memory.  I've set my upper limit to 6400 in Auto because it's the equivalent noise-wise of iso400 on the D70.  I'll check it tomorrow if you can't find it before then.  Shot another concert tonight with the D750 and the 24-120F4.  Boring lens and camera... Every shot a stunner.  Where are the idiosyncrasies.  The D800 has them??  I switched to a 180F2.8 Nikon prime for some fun when photos of the kids were becoming pedestrian.  Now that's a funky piece of kit!
  • Thanks Brett. I found the menu. It took me a little while to understand the setting. I've got my iso max limit to 6400 and the default to 100 so the auto iso can choose up to 6400 if 100 is not suitable. Post some pics up of the concert. I'm hanging to take the camera out for a spin. It's been a busy week.
  • Hey mate, I can't post pics online because there were kids in the concert.  I'll find a couple of other pics I've taken over the week. 
  • on 1440193408:
    Hey mate, I can't post pics online because there were kids in the concert.  I'll find a couple of other pics I've taken over the week.
    oh it was a kids concert. I thought you went to see a band play. All good.
  • on 1440037155:
    Post processing: For those of you that are not using Lightroom CC for post processing but instead are using standalone Lightroom 6.1.x you will notice that the dehaze presets are not available. I found a link to a developer that has put together these presets to be added manually to Lightroom and they are based on the same algorithms for those found in the newest CC version. Download free here: http://petapixel.com/2015/06/24/this-preset-pack-brings-real-dehaze-to-lightroom-6-1/
    hey there GK, I've never wanted to subscribe to the whole CC thing - do you know if you can still download standalone Lightroom & if so, where do you access it [they seem to have hidden it pretty well on their site]?
  • on 1440214206:
    hey there GK, I've never wanted to subscribe to the whole CC thing - do you know if you can still download standalone Lightroom & if so, where do you access it [they seem to have hidden it pretty well on their site]?
    hi admin You download the CC version then apply your product key during installation to register it. Once it's registered it becomes a standalone Lightroom 6.x.
  • A few snaps today of the pooches at the park.
  • Yes....and nice dogs too !
  • thanks GK, will check it out [not sure how to get the product key' but assume it's one of those 'follow the bouncing ball' things]...
    on 1439895284:
    Except Canon.  Their Pro stuff is awesome but I have great difficulty using their mid-range gear.  SHOTS FIRED in the Nikon thread!!!
    haha, I'm Nikon too Brett, but surprised there have been no Canon-users taking you on over that one!!  :stir
  • on 1439895284:
    A great picture is the difference, not the format or the brand.  Except Canon.  Their Pro stuff is awesome but I have great difficulty using their mid-range gear.  SHOTS FIRED in the Nikon thread!!!
    Not sure if you class an EOS 70D as a mid range camera Brett I am a great believer in using appropriate lenses to capture a great photo ( a plain old 50 mm can surprise )
  • ... Puts on Kevlar vest.
  • on 1440321219:
    Not sure if you class an EOS 70D as a mid range camera Brett I am a great believer in using appropriate lenses to capture a great photo ( a plain old 50 mm can surprise )
    great pics KK. a buddy of mine had a 70D and I've had a play around with it. Great camera.
  • I'm loving the pics guys!  Yep, I've shot with that one KK... I'm a Nikon fan ;) The 5d MkIII was easy to get great pics with and the 1D IV is a dream machine but I prefer the D800 and the D4s (but I don't own one and even if I had the cash don't want to carry it).  I reckon there's not much between any of em to be honest... It's just what you're used to!
  • on 1440328792:
    great pics KK. a buddy of mine had a 70D and I've had a play around with it. Great camera.
    The reason for purchasing the 70D was its multi point focus capability and studio style capabilities of it's video mode when teamed up with the correct ISM lenses it's whisper quiet The video example is Take a scene from your images and via the touch screen touch any object and it will auto focus on that object while progressively and smoothly going out of focus on the previous object Works no matter the distance.
  • My wife just finds the 60D easier with smaller hands and once you've invested in one... PS like the dog tug-o-war but there's a tricky focussing situation!  Ideally you'd want the eyes.
  • on 1440452033:
    ...and once you've invested in one...
    Yes that is the crux of the matter in terms of the nikon vs canon (or whetever else) debate. Once you start buying lenses, you stick with the brand you started with. I have remained canon because I went there at some point in the past (my first canon SLR was a 35 mm and the lenses fit my current models), and the next time i wanted to upgrade a body well... I once had someone tell me he found the modus operandi of nikon "more intuitive" than that of canon. Well yeah....if you are already familiar with nikon. If you are familiar with canon, then you find its modus operandi more "intuitive" than that of nikon !  Where do these people come from? I'm the bloke that doesnt find the modus operandi of an i-phone intuitive...until I start to become familiar with it...ie I dont find anything intuitive from a "cold start". I currently have a base model DSLR crop model canon as well as a full frame canon. The difference is in the operator  ;) although the full frame is better set out in its controls (bigger body - more room?) and thus easier to use. The crop body suffers from having to double up on some functions which makes it less convenient / slower when you are in a hurry. But the photos are great and in fact looking at all this laterally, rather than to say that all the pro / full frame gear is so fantastic, I reckon that the base model DSLR's (both brands) really are fantastic for what they can give you in a very budget price compared to the cost of the "good" gear. Now if canon could just see their way to fitting a second wheel onto their smaller /budget end crop bodies, they would go a long way to improving their operation. Err...not really trying to hi jack the nikon thread, but I think the comments are relevant enough.   
  • on 1440327921:
    ... Puts on Kevlar vest.
    Hey GK, love the portafilter and beans/tamper shots - really nice use of depth of field - ' bokeh' the experts would call it!  8)
  • on 1440462901:
    Hey GK, love the portafilter and beans/tamper shots - really nice use of depth of field - ' bokeh' the experts would call it!  8)
    thanks admin. Finally found my feet with this camera. A lot of features but I just go back to basics shooting mainly RAW in aperture mode with custom ISO. Even shooting in raw I can easily transfer this RAWs to my iPhone with the cameras built in wifi and post process them on my iPhone for a quick social media share. I'm now looking at getting a variable ND fader for my zoom lens so I might be hitting up Hoya soon. There are cheap versions on eBay but they don't use optical glass. I haven't played much with the video mode yet so once I get some more time I'll get around to it. I'm now looking at taking my mustang for a drive when the weather is good to Williamstown and do some sunset/night shots with Melbourne in the backdrop.