frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register
After the old forum software breaking in a way that we were unable to fix, we've migrated the site to a new platform.

Some elements aren't working as we'd hoped - some avatars didn't survive the transition, and we're still having issues with attachments that weren't added as inline images, but we're hoping to have that all sorted out soon.

COFFEE PHOTOGRAPHY - Pour/brew shots + latte art

edited January 1970 in Social
Post 'em up here

Comments

• Here,s the fat controller (grumpy old fart), a character from Thomas The Tank Engine.
  • Thanks Brett. Have a go at shooting your art with the Nikon. If no go on latte art, perhaps a moody espresso shot on a naked in front of reflective panels of the machine. [emoji328] Here,s a "normal" shot of a swan on a lake.
  • Fantastic!  My latte art often pushes the 18+ ratings....
  • So, attempt 1 with blur of liquid brown... the Cylon that makes my coffee has for the moment given up on world domination...
  • That,s a great shot in more ways than one Brett. [emoji106] Excellent composition highlighting the quality of the shot and machinery. I,m afraid my black Simonelli Oscar is not photogenic enough to take part in a shot pic.
  • You're too kind Gary.  It's a start and I'm trying to not replicate the iPhone up the group head shot that in fairness works so brilliantly.
  • but couldn't help myself....
  • and the resulting shot with some exposure tweaking post.... 'could you please hold that light still my sweet?' "No!" ::)
  • Some great photos there guys. Here are a couple from me: a) a competition shower for an E61 group head. Precision holes and non stick type coating. b) not a photo of a "final pour/brew", nevertheless the flow from a competition shower. Compare this to the flow from a standard shower where the flow out the bottom joins into a single central flow pattern instead of remaining in the miriad of individual flows from each hole. This gives a much more even extraction throughout the puck, and a better pour into the cup. Cost of a competition shower????? Mucho denaro, but a possible great Christmas/birthday present for the barista that thought he/she already had everything!
  • Lovely and excellent pics!  I'm using the IMS and love it.  The non-stick feature is cool in this one ad would make cleaning a breeze! 
  • Great photos gents. I might whip mine out (the camera) and do a daytime long exposure of the entire pour just to see what it looks like. Should be interesting.
  • on 1447553107:
    a) a competition shower for an E61 group head. Precision holes and non stick type coating.
    Good photos FC, but if I may ask. Do you have access to any MSDS on the said non-stick type coating. Not that I could/would be getting one, but I'm always wary of these so-called non-stick coatings (eg; Teflon), especially  where heat (and wear) is involved. I know, 90 odd degrees of hot water is not going to (initially) affect the coating, but over time, with handling etc, if the coating starts to break down....... it would have to be chucked IMO. Personally I don't use/own any non-stick cook ware and as coffee is food, the idea of any chemicals being involved in food prep, just doesn't gel with me.  :stir
  • Good thoughts. a) we wouldn't use these in "permanent" situations, so don't know the answer to your question straight up. Regardless I made an enquiry with our supplier, and will wait and see what they say. b) speaking from a "mechanical" point of view however, even if some of the coating was flaking off, it would be trapped at the top of the puck (which kind of doubles up as a particle filter). Would that result in any more leaching of "soluble stuff" from the coating into the coffee, than might happen before the coating starts to flake off....? I don't know, as I also don't know if anything actually leaches from the coating in the first instance...its just a theoretical comment that I've made. If nothing soluble leaches from the coating, then having it flake off into the top of the puck may be of no consequence given it would be extremely unlikely that any flakes will get through the puck and into the brew... Theoretically then, any possibly flaking off a shower is not the same as having flakes of stuff come off a pot or pan into your food, because in the case of pots and pans the stuff can be ingested. Anyway as stated, this is all theory. If/when I learn any more I will let you know.
  • Day off today. Double shot Yirg Kochere washed in a mug with a swan lake. Surprising nice in milk. Berries, caramel, sweet with creamy mouthfeel. A really nice bean from Beangreen despite being a old crop.
  • This one is called "Wonky Love". Its wonky, but it was made with love, by the lovely C who works in *our* cafe. What happens there is this: I own the buisness but have it under management. Nevertheless, I go in a couple of days a week and do stuff (not related to the business). Still, being the principle I wont get in the way of biz and always ask for my coffee to be made after all the clients have been attended to which can sometimes take some time. I then take the coffee upstairs to the office and it gets a bit shaken up. I am not interested in the art, but I am very interested in the quality of the brew in the cup. Ergo....wonky love, no special lartay art for me. Look closely and you can see a face.
  • I see Munch's 'the scream'.  The price of your coffee just went up!
  • My Vibe-Pump was on the fritz so off to FFI for a new one and the machine beautifully serviced, running sweetly back on the bench where she belongs.  Upgrade-schmupgrade.... I can't part with this lovely. 
  • 8d205ea70f2292723e291778005abd63.jpg Hi everyone. I'm back. Well I haven't really been anywhere but I have been time poor. I thought I would bring this thread back to life with this pic I took last night. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Nice photo GK. :thumb: As a matter of interest and for the benefit of others,  I use Adblock Plus, it automatically blocks images posted using Tapatalk.
  • Welcome back GK!!  Zam and he's back!!
  • on 1452572408:
    This one is called "Wonky Love". Its wonky, but it was made with love, by the lovely C who works in *our* cafe. What happens there is this: I own the buisness but have it under management. Nevertheless, I go in a couple of days a week and do stuff (not related to the business). Still, being the principle I wont get in the way of biz and always ask for my coffee to be made after all the clients have been attended to which can sometimes take some time. I then take the coffee upstairs to the office and it gets a bit shaken up. I am not interested in the art, but I am very interested in the quality of the brew in the cup. Ergo....wonky love, no special lartay art for me. Look closely and you can see a face.
    I see a Phoenix rising or one very pissed off looking ghost ! P
  • Thought I'd post up more pics of latte art,  and revive this ol sticky thread! Have spent awhile working on latte art but still a long ways to go haha but see how we go! This one from the other day, managed to squeeze a neat tulip into a piccolo latte (piccolos I struggle with a bit, so stoked with this one) 0affeeaf09b13835e862fc68892aa52e.jpg
  • Another piccolo-ish sized one1d120065e315209a607d46dd7a3175f0.jpg Triple I did a few years back 99c08e88bfedd331cadae215cc60d1f6.jpg Haha ah found this one, from 2012, my old Gloria Jeans days!!! 25445ed92f5ba8645995be0d9d64a758.jpg bcdc6a0338c926bdca5258c950ae7e8f.jpg Swan that's drooling a bit... (enjoying the coffee maybe...) ca975168e0499a91134e3cffad2aa739.jpg
  • Holy crikey Simon!  That's some serious art!!!! Almost too good to drink.
  • Haha almost didn't want to.. But then I told myself I was a silly goose and drank them! Strangely enough my rosettas were far better years ago compared to now.. I must work on them nowadays.. And i feel it's easier doing doubles/triples than one single beautiful detailed rosetta... I dunno why! Can't do a single rosetta properly or consistently..
  • Some daily coffee scenes KK
  • Oh awesome pics KK :D
  • on 1502627112:
    Some daily coffee scenes
    Nice pics KK.
  • Poured this morning, stoked with this one, found I was 'wiggling' too early as soon as I brought the tip of the spout closer and it never got a great result. Now I'm experimenting with bringing the tip closer but holding there for a bit to get more of a base for the rosetta, then start wiggling slowly. Still getting a washed up part on the right hand side (it's always the right hand side I've noticed haha), so will nut that out. And still wondering how to get that "ribbon" effect, where there are gaps within the leaves, really wanna get that!79c414ec52aba594428a09e179121ad6.jpgf109b6614dad4f594b56ebb6d8b5b079.jpg