frame
After the old forum software breaking in a way that we were unable to fix, we've migrated the site to a new platform.

Some elements aren't working as we'd hoped - some avatars didn't survive the transition, and we're still having issues with attachments that weren't added as inline images, but we're hoping to have that all sorted out soon.

In search for the most expensive coffee in the world

edited January 1970 in Cafe reviews
Hey Guys, I coming for a one month trip in Australia  :)
I'm super excited and I can't wait, a friend of mine (coffee addict like me) recommend me to look for "Kopi Luwak" in Australia.
He said there are many local coffee shops in Sydney that sells the famous "cat poop" coffee.

Do you have any recommendations?

Comments

• Yes.... avoid, avoid, avoid!! This coffee is overpriced and over-rated.  I've had it several times and it's always been a great disappointment with noticeable roast defects that the poor baristi do their best to hide but you just can't make a good coffee with second-rate beans!
  • As a coffee afficionado's alternative why not work your way through this list.  You'll find at some of these places the worlds best coffees including Cup of Excelence and Geishas.  They aren't the most expensive but they will be an education.... Like the difference between boutique wine and Coca Cola! Edit: http://www.goodfood.com.au/photogallery/good-food/eat-out/the-top-20-sydney-cafes-2015-20150622-3y6qz.html?eid=cpc:nnn-15omn0950-optim-nnn:google_adwords-bau_paid_search_campaign-dom-textad-nnn-gdf-nnn&campaign_code=15caf053&promote_channel=sem&gclid=CMDqsavCkcoCFZSUvQodwXIKmQ
  • Hi there. Yes as per Brett reply. Just because something is expensive doesn't mean it is great or in this case even very good....and there are plenty of COE - Cup of Excellence (or Church of England if you wish  ;D) coffees that really are excellent (note, usual story: if made well) at far less cost. Also note that not all kopi luwak is *genuine*, in addition to us not wanting to support those that may be caging animals up in questionable conditions in order to "milk" the kopi luwak market... All of that said....I guess you will want to try kopi luwak so that you can make up your own mind. No problem with that, except I don't know how anyone can know if they are buying the genuine stuff or not... Regardless, see what your palate tells you, and decide if you have received good advice here or not. Good luck.
  • I tried the super expensive Civet beans at MICE in 2014. Pretty ordinary imho. Must be the novelty value of drinking Cat poop.
  • on 1452041167:
    ... Must be the novelty value...
    I believe that is what any professional coffee roaster will tell you. Possibly in a similar bag to putting...salt in coffee....butter in coffee....hazelnut flavour in coffee....whatever, etc. etc. etc., except in this case the non coffee character is added to the beans rather than to the brew.
  • I'm thinking we roast,our coffee with chia seeds and quinoa and make millions of the general schumucks!!  We promise them immortality, irresistibility and sexual potency then retire on the earnings after issuing a statement that our testing while not conclusive was evidence enough to publish our findings, and sell our product... you can't keep the fountain of youth a secret after all.  But, we're all rally sorry for the poor joe who was hit by the number nine bus....perhaps he Brewer it wrong.....
  • on 1452079284:
    I'm thinking we roast,our coffee with chia seeds and quinoa and make millions of the general schumucks!!  We promise them immortality, irresistibility and sexual potency then retire on the earnings after issuing a statement that our testing while not conclusive was evidence enough to publish our findings, and sell our product... you can't keep the fountain of youth a secret after all.  But, we're all rally sorry for the poor joe who was hit by the number nine bus....perhaps he Brewer it wrong.....
    Sounds like a wining formula to me I'm advocating for a shot of Espresso instead of almond milk freshly squeezed by Appalachian monks in the chia seed porridge as the key to immortality I'm just going to go out on an unsubstantiated limb here and say that it activates the chia seeds and improves oxidation P
  • on 1459299701:
    Sounds like a wining formula to me I'm advocating for a shot of Espresso instead of almond milk freshly squeezed by Appalachian monks in the chia seed porridge as the key to immortality I'm just going to go out on an unsubstantiated limb here and say that it activates the chia seeds and improves oxidation P
    Nyce!!  Welcome aboard... I'll go and register a domain for us: www.ourcoffeecureseverythink.org.hey-you I'm wondering if we can't get Ninja blenders and Thermomix to do recipe.  If one of their machines explode in the process all the better for our advertising.  Our fountain of youth blend would probably healthy burns instantly!  Probably..... 
  • on 1459306744:
    Nyce!!  Welcome aboard... I'll go and register a domain for us: www.ourcoffeecureseverythink.org.hey-you I'm wondering if we can't get Ninja blenders and Thermomix to do recipe.  If one of their machines explode in the process all the better for our advertising.  Our fountain of youth blend would probably healthy burns instantly!  Probably.....
    Don't know about you but I'd pay to see a ninja destroy a thermomix!
  • on 1459452712:
    Don't know about you but I'd pay to see a ninja destroy a thermomix!
    Now now.... Show me another way to make caster sugar in the home for under $2K and I'll gladly destroy somebody's ThermoNuclearMax... and I'm not a Ninja!  I spent a similar amount on knives so I'm possibly not one who should throw stones.  Especially given the recent media reports of exploding Thermal-Nicks'zes  :stir
  • on 1451948899:
    Yes.... avoid, avoid, avoid!! This coffee is overpriced and over-rated.  I've had it several times and it's always been a great disappointment with noticeable roast defects that the poor baristi do their best to hide but you just can't make a good coffee with second-rate beans!
    Exactly my thoughts. I wasn't too impressed. The coffee I brew at home is better than this!