frame
After the old forum software breaking in a way that we were unable to fix, we've migrated the site to a new platform.

Some elements aren't working as we'd hoped - some avatars didn't survive the transition, and we're still having issues with attachments that weren't added as inline images, but we're hoping to have that all sorted out soon.

Single baskets.

edited January 1970 in Accessories
Hi all, just wondering if it is worth my while buying a single basket? I have read they are difficult to work with and that is why I am asking.

I am currently using a double, drinking one shot as a latte and the other as an espresso but I am really not enjoying the espresso, on the hand I don't want wastage. I would really just prefer to make one at a time.

Comments

• I've got a single your welcome to Sue. Ping me your postal details and I'll send it down to you. :)
  • I assume it is a 58mm portafilter Sue? :)
  • OK, got your PM, will try to get it posted tomorrow. :)
  • Sue...there should-a bin a single in with the machine. If DB doesnt manage to get his single to you, I can do ;) Just remember a "couple"of points> The export market single filter (as should be fitted to all commercial and semi commercial machines coming to Oz ie your machine), is NOT half of the double. It is 2/3 of the double. When dosed and tamped properly, it holds about 12 grams, compared to the double's 18/19 grams.. (depending on individual preference for grind fineness etc) What that means (without going into the specifics) is that it requires a grinder adjustment everytime you change from using the double, to the "single".....which is why people say they have trouble using the "single". Because unless you change the grind to suit proper dose and tamp of the single filter, the espresso will not pour properly (in comparison to the "dialed in" double). So....if you are going to use the single all the time, fine. But if you are going to mix it with the double, please take note that every time you change from one to the other, you have to "dial in" again.... The only way to have a single filter that does not require a change of grind from the setting used for the double, is to use the "home" (as in Italian) market single, which IS half of their double. But that also requires swapping out the export market double filter for a home market double, which holds less grinds and is therefore unsuitable for the generally larger size of coffees here compared to the home (Italian) market versions. Suffice to say, differences aside due to the shape of the filter and the much smaller surface area of the holey section at bottom of filter, the reason most people complain about the single is because they dont understand the above and that the grind needs to be changed. Dial in the grinder, and the single really isnt a problem. But that is terribly inconvenient (especially in a cafe environment) and the reason why most cant be bothered and dont use it..... If you need any help, let me know.
  • on 1462444813:
    The export market single filter (as should be fitted to all commercial and semi commercial machines coming to Oz ie your machine), is NOT half of the double. It is 2/3 of the double. When dosed and tamped properly, it holds about 12 grams, compared to the double's 18/19 grams.. (depending on individual preference for grind fineness etc)
    That there has just cleared up a whole lot for me, thank you so much FC, I can see light at the end of the tunnel  :angel:. So it seems my single that I originally thought was a single and then decided it was a double is now, in fact, a single  :P. It looks like I am set then DB so no need for you to fix me up but a super huge thank you for the offer XX
  • As promised, its in the mail Sue. ::)
  • on 1462493047:
    That there has just cleared up a whole lot for me, thank you so much FC,
    Happy to help S  :)
  • on 1462509261:
    As promised, its in the mail Sue. ::)
    So, so sorry for being a dumbarse DB, I am more than willing to send it back, failing that I will pop it in my nakey portafilter  :coffee2:.
    on 1462509352:
    Happy to help S  :)
    Thank you  :thumb:.
  • on 1462582836:
    So, so sorry for being a dumbarse DB, I am more than willing to send it back, failing that I will pop it in my nakey portafilter  :coffee2:. Thank you  :thumb:.
    Evening Sue, hang on to it, not worth the cost or hassle of sending it back. :)
  • Thanks DB, it arrived this morning, I am going to give it a go in the naked as it has a lot bigger bottom surface area than mine if that makes sense. Happy to shoot you some $$ for the filter and your time/costs :).
  • Pleased it arrived safely, don't worry about $, let me know how you get on with it. :)
  • on 1462761360:
    Pleased it arrived safely, don't worry about $, let me know how you get on with it. :)
    Will do and thanks again. It probably won't be long before I use it, the weather is nuts here and it is increasing my coffee consumption  :coffee2:.
  • on 1462761784:
    Will do and thanks again. It probably won't be long before I use it, the weather is nuts here and it is increasing my coffee consumption  :coffee2:.
    Tell me about the weather! blowin a gale up here, even our dog don't wanna go outside, guess winter is fast approaching. :(
  • Well, I gave it a go yesterday, I put it in the naked with no dramas. I got 14gms in which is what I get in my other one. Weather is a bit calmer here today, I think we are still in for some more rain and wind but yesterday was a shocker :).
  • Crikey! 14 grams in a single, must have been pretty chockablock, what was the extraction like? :)
  • on 1462838181:
    Crikey! 14 grams in a single, must have been pretty chockablock, what was the extraction like? :)
    Yep. That's what I get in my other one, dependent on grind. It ran a bit fast but nothing that winding back the grinder a click or 2 won't fix. I'll give it another go later this morning. As with my original filter 12 gms seems to look a bit "lost" in the basket.
  • on 1462444813:
    Sue...there should-a bin a single in with the machine. If DB doesnt manage to get his single to you, I can do ;) Just remember a "couple"of points> The export market single filter (as should be fitted to all commercial and semi commercial machines coming to Oz ie your machine), is NOT half of the double. It is 2/3 of the double. When dosed and tamped properly, it holds about 12 grams, compared to the double's 18/19 grams.. (depending on individual preference for grind fineness etc) What that means (without going into the specifics) is that it requires a grinder adjustment everytime you change from using the double, to the "single".....which is why people say they have trouble using the "single". Because unless you change the grind to suit proper dose and tamp of the single filter, the espresso will not pour properly (in comparison to the "dialed in" double). So....if you are going to use the single all the time, fine. But if you are going to mix it with the double, please take note that every time you change from one to the other, you have to "dial in" again.... The only way to have a single filter that does not require a change of grind from the setting used for the double, is to use the "home" (as in Italian) market single, which IS half of their double. But that also requires swapping out the export market double filter for a home market double, which holds less grinds and is therefore unsuitable for the generally larger size of coffees here compared to the home (Italian) market versions. Suffice to say, differences aside due to the shape of the filter and the much smaller surface area of the holey section at bottom of filter, the reason most people complain about the single is because they dont understand the above and that the grind needs to be changed. Dial in the grinder, and the single really isnt a problem. But that is terribly inconvenient (especially in a cafe environment) and the reason why most cant be bothered and dont use it..... If you need any help, let me know.
    This was a revelation to me. Thanks! My stock and LM single baskets have sat at the bottom of the drawer for 6 years, I always thought my Silvia was just bad at single shots. This was going by the 'internet wisdom' I'd garnered from other forums over the years. Anyway I dosed the LM single at 12g with a slightly coarser grind and pulled the best single I've had on my home machine :) 
  • Happy to help. Here, Silvia always adds confusion to the mix because it depends entirely on whether the importer or retailer left the original Italian market filters on OR changed them over to Australian/export market filters. The "as imported" Italian market filters are indeed a single and double, where the single (8 grams) is half of the double and doesnt require a change in grind, but they are smaller than we use here for our larger coffees and as already stated the export single is 2/3 of the corresponding double requiring a change of grind... The explanation can be confusing, but its simple enough in real terms... The original (Italian market)  filters have "Rancilio" stamped on them. Anyway as you have changed whatever the machine came with to some other aftermarket stuff, I guess it doesnt matter as long as whatever you do now works and you understand why (or why not  ;D) Cheers.
  • I used to own a Silvia and I loved the quality of the extractions I got from my machine - but I did find that the machine ran very hot, and that I got my best extractions when I  'temperature surfed' on the machine by purging the boiler prior to running the shot to drop the water temperature