frame
After the old forum software breaking in a way that we were unable to fix, we've migrated the site to a new platform.

Some elements aren't working as we'd hoped - some avatars didn't survive the transition, and we're still having issues with attachments that weren't added as inline images, but we're hoping to have that all sorted out soon.

Mill City Roasting series - YouTube

Anyone manage to watch the mill city guys presenting their roasting series on YouTube ?

I found it to be useful education on the topic of roasting. Good stuff on the chemical reactions and breakdowns occurring at the different stages of a roast.

Anyone else watched it? Thoughts?

Comments

• I've watched snippets, but haven't managed to watch much yet. It's not easy watching as neither of them are very lively personalities. Joe is pretty well respected in the specialty industry in the US by all accounts so the info provided should be pretty solid. Just be aware that anything you learn should be considered general info that can't necessarily be applied specifically to whatever you're doing. While it's not explicitly mentioned in the series, at the end of the day Mill City are doing this to both help sell their roasters and provide info to people who already own their roasters. So if you've got, or are planning on getting a North (or it's Asian parent the JYR) it is probably very useful. Otherwise, as I said the info they share should be considered general knowledge.
  • Yes, absolutely agree it's an education more so than a practical transfer of knowledge. I'm only running a behmor so not much to transfer practically except an understanding of the different phases and an awareness of the chemical processes at each stage, cause and effect etc. Every bit of knowledge helps demystify the process for me. Very grateful it was shared freely as I am to this forum for the same purpose.
  • Has anyone else come across any helpful roasting vids on the tube or anything other besides brewing/espresso making? I saw another great one from counter culture on coffee varietals that actually held my attention! And was really interesting and educational. 
  • I haven't but it sounds like you've found some beauties!  Off for a look ;)
  • anyone got a link to the vids in question ? P
  • on 1495434940:
    anyone got a link to the vids in question ? P
    Here's a link to episode one of the Roaster School videos. If it doesn't work just search 'Mill City Roasters' on YouTube. They have other clips loaded on their page as well.
  • What did you think of the millcity vids? I stumbled across a few more vids on YouTube  for those interested. This time from  "Wolff college of coffee". A lot more simplistic and basic but still an interesting watch ( a lot shorter vids on a range of bean/roasting topics ). Again more a simple educational resource than anything else.
  • on 1495792179:
    What did you think of the millcity vids? I stumbled across a few more vids on YouTube  for those interested. This time from  "Wolff college of coffee". A lot more simplistic and basic but still an interesting watch ( a lot shorter vids on a range of bean/roasting topics ). Again more a simple educational resource than anything else.
    I haven't watched much of the Mill City stuff yet. I've watched some of their short videos, but none of the Roaster School ones in full. I will at some stage, especially as I'd like to use a North roaster, but I'm in no rush. They're a bit hard to watch sometimes as they drag on a bit. Both Joe and Dave don't have a lot of energy and personality. It's funny, I hate to generalise, but I'm going to anyway. Americans seem to fall into two basic camps as far as personality goes - loud, bubbly, excitable, full of energy OR...... deadpan. Apologies to any US based members, I'm only half serious. ;-P As far as the info and content goes I can't really make a full comment, but the parts I've watched seem to be pretty good. The general stuff is along the lines of current accepted practice. The machine specific stuff really relates to their roasters, but is still somewhat useful in a general sense.
  • Yes I agree the delivery of the content is a bit dry. Once I adjusted for it I found  the content useful and interesting . Completely contrasting styles to Chris bacca and his crew that's for sure!