frame
After the old forum software breaking in a way that we were unable to fix, we've migrated the site to a new platform.

Some elements aren't working as we'd hoped - some avatars didn't survive the transition, and we're still having issues with attachments that weren't added as inline images, but we're hoping to have that all sorted out soon.

First, and definitely last, visit..........

edited August 2018 in Have your say
Tonight, while waiting near Brisbane airport, I decided to try a coffee from somewhere I hadn’t been before.  :-X

After ordering, I was distracted by something on my phone and looked up in time to see the barista dip/scoop the group handle/portafilter into an open container of pre-ground coffee!  Who knows how old and stale it was???  At the time I was there (half a hour before closing), it could have been hours. 

I suppose I should have walked away but had prepaid so said nothing.  Decided to vote with my feet and not return.

My usual cafe would never ever do this, always grinding fresh as I guess most cafes would.

I’m guessing the container was excess coffee from overground doses levelled off from portafilters.

Still scarred, 3 hours later.  Urghhh. 

PS.  Tasted pretty ordinary as well..........

Comments

• Ah wow Lloyd... I have actually never seen a cafe do that!!! Only using a full dosing chambers worth of ground coffee, but never scooped out a container..... icky!
  • At airports I only drink hot chocolate or tea KK
  • on 1534423526:
    At airports I only drink hot chocolate or tea KK
    Hahaha yep that's understandable [emoji14]
  • Now let me talk about coffee o cruise ships It’s hit and miss - depends on who is behind the machine But I befriend the staff and even give them free lessons on how it’s done That way I get a good coffee And I take my own ground ciffee to make Greek style coffee as the need arises KK
  • Crikey mate... I've had good coffee at the Aromas/Bookstore and the Merlo at the Airport itself. As to near the airport... that sounds horrific.  All the best with your therapy!!!
  • No doubt Brett, Aromas and Merlos are pretty good. This is in the group of shops near the International terminal.  Not in the airport itself. Without naming names, three words, first one starting with T.    ;)
  • on 1534497450:
    No doubt Brett, Aromas and Merlos are pretty good. This is in the group of shops near the International terminal.  Not in the airport itself. Without naming names, three words, first one starting with T.    ;)
    Oh yes... I know the one/s and you're a brave man!! I've always given them a hard swerve ;)
  • Oops.  Please delete, mods.  ???
  • no need to delete no one has named any names I've complained to Center Management before about bad coffee (not at the airport) but my complaints have always fallen on deaf ears - I had a merlos coffee recently, but it wasn't a great experience, as it was burnt and over extracted - didn't bother complaining though I just threw it away and got another from somewhere else ... p
  • on 1534613955:
    no need to delete no one has named any names I've complained to Center Management before about bad coffee (not at the airport) but my complaints have always fallen on deaf ears - I had a merlos coffee recently, but it wasn't a great experience, as it was burnt and over extracted - didn't bother complaining though I just threw it away and got another from somewhere else ... p
    What I meant was, the post before yours (ask the coffee guy) was a result of clumsy fingers on an iPad.  :tearhair:  I was careful not to name names though.
  • on 1534635454:
    What I meant was, the post before yours (ask the coffee guy) was a result of clumsy fingers on an iPad.  :tearhair:  I was careful not to name names though.
    Coffee deprivation - yea it’s got to be that  >:D KK
  • or too much coffee and fingers typing too quickly !
  • Nah mate... this thread is all good!! Nobody getting sued here.  You should have been here for BrevilleGate :D
  • on 1534850723:
    Nah mate... this thread is all good!! Nobody getting sued here.  You should have been here for BrevilleGate :D
    ..........logs in and searches BrevilleGate........... :)
  • Older thread mosdef, but as a frequent and regular traveler in and out of Brissie domestic,  there are imho several halfway decent purveyors. Funnily enough the Quantas end seems better endowed than the Virgin end......the Merlo cafes can both be ok but are variable, the Watermark bookshop cafe (Campos) has never let me down and theres another down in the domestic hub thats great too but the name? No, sadly forgotten, but its on the right walking in....the rest are somewhere between ok and that "3 words beginning with T", lmfao!!!
  • :laugh: The Bookshop is also my fail-safe for airport Koffy!
  • Lucky you don't live in Noosa ! There is some dectent coffee around but you really need to hunt to find it! The other day I went to a place on Hastings Street and watched them put one cup under one spout and leave the other to drain into the drip tray, which might not be so bad in isolation, buy the split all of their shots into 8oz takeaway, giving you effectively 40ml yeild from say, 9 to 11gm of coffee (shudder) unless you want to pay an extra 50c for a 'double shot' of coffee brining the price of an 8oz cup on regular milk to $5 - which I don't begrudge paying for am amazing coffee, but I do for an inferior one!