frame
After the old forum software breaking in a way that we were unable to fix, we've migrated the site to a new platform.

Some elements aren't working as we'd hoped - some avatars didn't survive the transition, and we're still having issues with attachments that weren't added as inline images, but we're hoping to have that all sorted out soon.

Rocket Appartamento upgrade

edited January 1970 in Espresso Machines
Hi All,

Recent purchase of a Rocket Appartamento which is an upgrade from my sunbeam EM7000.
Out of curiosity, would it be worth replacing the standard baskets with say VST or similar and replacing the shower screen with IMS one. 
And any recommendations on not what to do with the machine :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comments

• on 1528100089:
    Hi All, Recent purchase of a Rocket Appartamento which is an upgrade from my sunbeam EM7000. Out of curiosity, would it be worth replacing the standard baskets with say VST or similar and replacing the shower screen with IMS one.  And any recommendations on not what to do with the machine :) Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    oh nice machine! By all means swap out the shower screens and the baskets - just be aware that VST baskets tend to trap oils and to clog more easily so you need to rinse them more often (if you're making a few coffees at a time that is) - otherwise they tend to get blocked and choke the shot - which is not really an issue if you're just making one or two coffees, but in a commercial setting certainly its more of a pressing problem ! All the best with your new machine let us know how it goes - and any photos? ACG
  • on 1528107314:
    oh nice machine! By all means swap out the shower screens and the baskets - just be aware that VST baskets tend to trap oils and to clog more easily so you need to rinse them more often (if you're making a few coffees at a time that is) - otherwise they tend to get blocked and choke the shot - which is not really an issue if you're just making one or two coffees, but in a commercial setting certainly its more of a pressing problem ! All the best with your new machine let us know how it goes - and any photos? ACG
    Machine is on the way to me from Melbourne. I’m in Adelaide, got a decent deal and even the local place agreed that what I was getting was great! I will get the shower screen and basket after maybe a month of playing with the standard equipment. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • G'day, congrats on the new machine, that's an awesome upgrade! Most people do change from the stock basket and find a dramatic difference, but definitely a good idea doing what you're doing and playing around with the stock basket first and seeing how you find it. I have a Pesado/IMS basket and get awesome shots with it, and many state that it was a big difference changing. As for the IMS showerscreen I am also curious and would love to hear of others experience whoever has them! (I know the screen is kept much cleaner than any standard screens, but I was wondering whether it has a more even water dispersion, and whether that equals a much more even extraction)
  • As an alternative, have a look at the "Espresso Parts HQ Filter Baskets", available in a range of sizes all the way up to a Triple (need a Naked PF for that one). Used them for a number of years and found them to be excellent. Kind of like a HQ version of the original Synesso baskets which I also loved...  8) Mal.
  • Here’s the machine :) but cluttered, but better than before haha. 2dea3f6fefefd7ec9cf064a4fce95049.jpg Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Lovely machine!!  I've tried the baskets mentioned in the thread over the years and actually found the Pasedo/IMS the best combination for me. The best part is that its a worthy upgrade at low prices so you can try a couple and find what works best for you.
  • Congrats on the new machine  :thumb: I use and recommend to swap over the shower screen basket As for the PF basket it can be a dramatic difference in pour results between brands I have the VST basket that I use from time to time but I prefer the La Marzocco basket for my setup KK
  • on 1528456260:
    Congrats on the new machine  :thumb: I use and recommend to swap over the shower screen basket As for the PF basket it can be a dramatic difference in pour results between brands I have the VST basket that I use from time to time but I prefer the La Marzocco basket for my setup KK
    Yes, the after-marketeers exploited the fact that PF baskets and shower screens were often cheaply produced after thoughts. They can make a difference but I am not familiar with the Appartmento. I remember the shower screen I had on my old Bezzera BZ-40P was first-class so they are not always substandard. The baskets however such as those put out by VST have been very carefully engineered. The only caution here is that they are often deeper and won’t fit all portafilter heads. Yes, enjoy the new machine. Grant
  • So I also got a few goodies to make sure the unit does the right thing. 950552864d828ca6572cc076a9092035.jpg Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Very nice!!  I'd be interested in how your use of the pressure gauge improves your outcomes. I used one with a HX machine to tweak the boiler pressure/heat and the steam subsequently wasn't as dry and strong.