frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

After the old forum software breaking in a way that we were unable to fix, we've migrated the site to a new platform.

Some elements aren't working as we'd hoped - some avatars didn't survive the transition, and we're still having issues with attachments that weren't added as inline images, but we're hoping to have that all sorted out soon.

Lever project - Urania 1 group

Call me crazy :o , but I just talked myself into buying a nice old lever, to be my next project.  I think it may be late 50's or 60's.

Arrives from Europe in a couple of weeks.  After the Cimbali 2 group I did a couple of years back, I can't wait to get stuck into a decent resto again.

Restoration pictures to follow.  Here's a teaser:

Comments

• Congrats!! Do you know if it's operational?
  • At least it looks complete I actually like the colour & its a thumbs up from me If you lived in Brisbane id be around lending a hand KK
  • on 1313752327:
    Congrats!! Do you know if it's operational?
    Nope - I wouldn't even try....    Will require a full tear down and restoration, but for it's age the internal pics look pretty good.  Most mechanical parts and even the boiler lid / element / group - piston seals etc are all available new. Compared to the Cimbali it looks somewhat simpler.  At least there's no electronic parts to worry about... It's still got the mercury switches - I'm thinking of fitting a sirai pstat & anti-vac.  From what I read, the biggest hassle is the cupola (glass around the warming tray), and the glass panel at the back.  Both are expensive and hard to find if missing or broken.
  • on 1313752973:
    At least it looks complete I actually like the colour & its a thumbs up from me If you lived in Brisbane id be around lending a hand KK
    Thanks KK.  Come on over - it's just a quick drive down the road to Adelaide ;)
  • That really is a stylish machine. It's kind of got a sturdy retro/industrial look about it that I love, that is quite imposing. Once refurbed, I think it'll be a beauty. The whole '70's look (even though I know it's older) where things are colourful, mismatched etc is just wonderful, and that machine has multiple textures, shapes etc, which is really nice.
  • I think I have spotted a crack or 2 in the corners in the perspex Its going to be a job and a half, but if done right it will be stunning KK
  • Oh wow, functional art potentially.  Lots of photos please!!!
  • on 1313755123:
    I think I have spotted a crack or 2 in the corners in the perspex Its going to be a job and a half, but if done right it will be stunning KK
    Yes the perspex is cactus unfortunately, but I don't think it's original anyway...    I think the original ones have a kind of bubble shape with waves in it.   They're about EUR400 if you can find them.  Apparently the new E61 glass will fit ok - I might just go with one of those.  
  • Nice toy 8) Shame about the Perspex top, just keep scouring evilbay Germany and Italy I guess.
  • Here's some more 'warts & all'  before pics.... CIMG1021.jpg CIMG1022.jpg CIMG1023.jpg CIMG1024.jpg CIMG1025.jpg CIMG1026.jpg CIMG1028.jpg CIMG1029.jpg CIMG1030.jpg CIMG1031.jpg CIMG1032.jpg CIMG1033.jpg CIMG1035.jpg CIMG1036.jpg CIMG1037.jpg CIMG08422.jpg CIMG08423.jpg CIMG08424.jpg CIMG08425.jpg CIMG08426.jpg CIMG08427.jpg CIMG08428.jpg CIMG08429.jpg CIMG084210.jpg
  • Oh, I remember seeing that machine and a few others from the same seller. This one will come up a treat. I wish I had the knowledge and space to work on something like this - congrats once again!
  • Is it yours yet or are you waiting confirmation KK
  • on 1313809646:
    Is it yours yet or are you waiting confirmation KK
    KK, want to put an offer in?  ;)  The deal is already done.
  • Time to find a good chrome plater for a start  ;) Depending on the tops originality you could make a composite mold from it and pull a new one if you were really keen. There would be a small market for a few of them which would offset the costs a little.
  • on 1313811870:
    Love the insulators on the power wires :-) If you want custom handles, be it in a Black Ebony timber (very nice but would cost a few $$$) let me know. Would love to be part of the restoration. You should move to Brisbane :-)  Lathes and electrical and other stuff.  We could have some real fun.
    Thanks AM.  Yep I'm kind of out in the middle of no mans land here in the backwater that is Adelaide... I'll put up plenty more pics during the resto so everyone can watch along..    Beanflying:  I've got a very good plater / polisher a few minutes down the road from me.  I used them last time.  They were a bit expensive, but the result, particularly the polishing is unbelievable.
  • awesome machine- I have a Faema Lambro- virtually identical internally. Looks rough but the machines polish up wonderfully- the internals are so solidly built. I will watch the thread with interest... The other day I heard that there was a lever expert living in adelaide- a tech that does it all. So far it is jjst a romour but I will let you know if I can find any more info. There is a company in Melbourne that will restore this machine for around 2K- they completely re-chrome- all new screws, etc. In the end it looks like it just came off the factory line.
  • on 1313998192:
    awesome machine- I have a Faema Lambro- virtually identical internally. Looks rough but the machines polish up wonderfully- the internals are so solidly built. I will watch the thread with interest... The other day I heard that there was a lever expert living in adelaide- a tech that does it all. So far it is jjst a romour but I will let you know if I can find any more info. There is a company in Melbourne that will restore this machine for around 2K- they completely re-chrome- all new screws, etc. In the end it looks like it just came off the factory line.
    Oh, I didn't know that. Lever expert would be good, as I'm a certified lever noob....  ;D I'll be doing all the resto myself - that's the best part.  It would be good though to have someone local who'se been there and done it before.    There is a guy in Melb who is a good source for some of the parts - I think that's the same one you're thinking of.
  • Thats awesome Borat123 I just purchased a project myself. I can't resize the photo's as yet so I'll have to wait for it to arrive before photo's uploaded Good luck with the resto
  • on 1314092558:
    Ronin that is not fair  ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? But I guess you just up the road so I guess I may get a change to touch and feel first hand  ;) I want a project to  :'(
    What's that, you want a project. Well have I got a wiring job for you  ;D
  • on 1314170824:
    Errr  How about a few pics and a fully detailed scoping document and ........................... Happy to be involved and to assist where possible.
    Relax AM, I have access to 2 La Marzocco Techs and plan to do it myself. Was just having a laugh. Meanwhile back on topic. Let us know how it goes Borat I'll keep an eye out
  • It's on the way.  Crated and picked up by the freight company in Italy...
  • on 1314951251:
    It's on the way.   Crated and picked up by the freight company in Italy...
    Nice looking crate Will feel more relief when it arrives and unpacked  ;) KK
  • on 1314951642:
    Nice looking crate Will feel more relief when it arrives and unpacked  ;) KK
    Yes, I thought it was a particularly attractive crate too...   :D       Hopefully all inside will arrive in one piece. Not too long to go now:
  • We share your excitment Borat! I'll look forward to seeing lots more photos. :)
  • Do you know what customs will do to it when it arrives? and have you budgeted for those customs charges? They can add up fast. Looking forward to hearing about your rebuild
  • on 1314996294:
    Do you know what customs will do to it when it arrives? and have you budgeted for those customs charges? They can add up fast. Looking forward to hearing about your rebuild
    Yes, I've budgeted for the fees, but actually I have no idea on the customs process.  My intent is to run around filling out the forms myself.   The crate packing is ISPM which should stop any issues with wood fumigation, but as to what they want to do with the contents, we will see. How did you go with yours?   I'm a slow learner but still happy to learn from others mistakes  ;)  ;) I'll post up the story as it plays out....
  • Looking forward to following your progress on the rebuild( Exciting) here is hoping that it all runs to plane and she lands safe and sound.. Gra. 
  • Two exciting rebuild threads on the one forum. Come on AM, I love a good trifecta! ;)
  • on 1315010207:
    Yes, I've budgeted for the fees, but actually I have no idea on the customs process.  My intent is to run around filling out the forms myself.   The crate packing is ISPM which should stop any issues with wood fumigation, but as to what they want to do with the contents, we will see. How did you go with yours?   I'm a slow learner but still happy to learn from others mistakes  ;)  ;) I'll post up the story as it plays out....
    The only mistake I made was thinking I'd be up for all of the costs, not the case as part of it was included in the freight. Included was a customs broker so no paperwork for me. 10% GST 5% duty They may want to fumigate the machine as it's 'used', and/or steam clean it. Mine arrived at the delivery point, Veneziano Brisbane (thanks to Jean Paul Sutton for that) and I believe there to be some minor damage. Will pick up & inspect on Monday and a possible insurance claim to come.